Lee Enterprises Reviews

Reset
2.3
Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck
Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Great for an entry level sales person, or someone working in a non sales position (in 4 reviews)

• Easygoing work environment, with fairly reasonable deadlines set by management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises for years - pay freeze (in 6 reviews)

• upper management is always looking for ways to cut hours in our department even though we are already coming away with 20-25 hour weeks (in 4 reviews)

1. Run far away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code, most coworkers are great, sometimes relaxed environment, good pay

Cons

Micromanaged like crazy, to the point of having an hourly schedule of what you're allowed to do for that shift. If you don't follow your schedule you get condescending emails asking why. People who work day shift are able to have weekends, holidays off and request off whenever they want to but night shift is not allowed to request off (even though we have PTO/sick, etc days that are awarded to us). If you need a day off someone else on your shift has to agree to cover it in order for you to have it off and good luck with that. If you make any kind of mistake they harrass and embarrass you about it

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, stop being so disrespectful and condescending to your employees. You are literally running people out of the company. And stop with the baby talk

2. Review

I worked at Lee Enterprises

Pros

Availability to work independently immediately.

Cons

Lack of communication among managers.

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Outside Media Sales
    Former Employee - Outside Media Sales

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a supportive work environment, offering good pay, good benefits and loyalty to hard-working, veteran employees. Used to feel like a place you could retire. Still so many amazing people working within this company, yet job security is a daily concern.

Cons

Executives continue to be way overpaid in direct relation to those who have built the entire business - the publishers, the editors, the teams on the street who have done the heavy lifting. The people who built this company and this industry are being let go - even after 30-plus years working for Lee Enterprises. Sadly money, and avoiding lawsuits seems to be the focus and concern of top brass - more than maintaining the people who have served them well for so many years.

Advice to Management

Top management - eliminate the position of just ONE"poorly performing executive - of whom you DO currently have in place - and save several productive employees elsewhere within your company.

Once a Great Place

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time

Pros

I was on the editorial side of this newspaper company for more than a decade, and my co-workers were the best people I have ever worked with. They were friendly, supportive, and helpful, and we had a great time at work and outside of work. Even at the end of my time there my co-workers were still great. Not only that, but along the way I worked under some superb managers, guys I would walk through fire for. In my early days there, the attitude in my small paper was highly competitive. If we saw a story that we thought would interest local readers, we'd go get it.

Cons

Lee is now a different place. As the Internet trend became clear, the company lagged on embracing change and investing in new technologies. Lee has always been a lean operation, but they really dropped the ball on R&D spending to meet the challenge posed by the Internet. With their resources, that should not have happened. Shoot, even computer software was hard to come by in newsrooms. Management seemed to believe that Microsoft Office was all anyone needed. Sadly, a company that had great market positions in the communities it served let all that slip away. The usual pattern followed. Management began cutting people to cut costs, and the result is all the experienced people left, or were bought out, or were fired. Editorial management at my former paper is now young and inexperienced because they did not have years of mentoring, and it shows in the published product. Circulation is down, and it's no surprise because who will pay the same or more money for a thinner newspaper with much less local news and reporting?

Advice to Management

My fantasy is someone will take over Lee, wrap the CEO and management team up in their golden parachutes, drop them in the Mississippi, and wave good-bye as they float away from Davenport. In reality, management needs to invest. One of the publishers I worked under said you can't cut your way to prosperity, and Lee management has proved that. Products are being ruined for the long term by continual loss of news-gathering resources, and that was the only advantage the company had when pitted against online news sites. Readers will continue to leave you unless you invest in local news which has always been the key to your success. They probably won't leave in a bunch, but they will continue to leave because they are receiving less value for the dollar. You had decades of industry-leading margins. Now it's time to face up to the other responsibility of owners: Putting money into the operation and absorbing some pain for the good of the company.

6. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commission and salary are very reasonable. You essentially get what you deserve when it comes to commission. The harder you work the more your commission it is. Meetings on a daily/weekly basis were very helpful in finding new prospects to help build the business revenue.

Cons

The company as a whole can be very disorganized. Financial and Advertising Management could be tough to get along with when they couldn't agree on things.

Advice to Management

Not a lot of advice to management, however the supervisors could have less work on their hands since they are the ones dealing with reps.

7. Horrible work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Lee Enterprises

Pros

Absolutely nothing good about this company

Cons

Horrible management, horrible work environment, horrible pay..the list goes on and on

Advice to Management

HORRIBLE management

If No Weekends = No Problem then you'll like it there

Current Employee - Page Designer in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Page Designer in Munster, IN

I have been working at Lee Enterprises

Pros

Relaxed environment, enjoyable coworkers, pay was good

Cons

Working weekends and holidays, employees calling off work frequently

Plausibly worse than Gannett

Former Employee - News Reporter in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - News Reporter in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offered health insurance, vacation, at least; Was transparent in its ambitions

Cons

Management is fundamentally disconnected from reality of individual properties; vacation time is nonexistent in bare-boned newsrooms; Web content and social media goals lead to reprinting of press releases; real journalism is nowhere to be found in company's values

Advice to Management

Explore actual realities at each property -- market conditions, staffing, employers -- before setting advertising goals; come up with realistic financial goals

False Advertisement

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Munster, IN

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, accessibility, any one hired

Cons

Schedules, Time off, Customers, Management

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; gain compassion

Press operator.

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time

Pros

Berkshire Hathaway has a stake in this company.

Cons

Cut the work force to the bone.

Advice to Management

The work force in the press production area has not seen a raise in 7 years. I understand the economic climate is still somewhat unstable but 7 years is a long time to fall behind the cost of living.

RSS Feed </> Embed