Lee Enterprises

Updated September 29, 2014
2.5

Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck
Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Good entry-level position for the sales and reporting fields; you are basically thrown into the fire, which is actually a good way to learn your job (in 4 reviews)

• There are a lot of good people throughout the company who work hard and care about producing great work every day (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises or incentives for production, only sales (in 6 reviews)

• uncertainty of job, average salary, no room for advancement in career (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Got to work with some really great people that challenged me and helped me grow, before I was promotoed
    - Had a lot of freedom to find the best solution to problems, before I was promoted
    - Managers were generally very open to ideas and encouraging
    - Over all, really great people

Cons

- Salary, very difficult to maintain a lifestyle on what they paid. Infrequent raises and usually just "cost of living" raises.
    - Received a promotion and when asked for a salary requirement, was told it couldn't be above {X}, stupid me took the job anyway and was laid off about a year later
    - Creativity was stifled by the corporate office, very very difficult to do anything that wasn't exactly like all 51 other papers
    - Frequent lay-offs and furloughs, which for salaried employees meant a pay cut to our already difficult to manage salaries
    - Cost saving "periods" where local depts weren't allowed to buy anything, but bathrooms were remodeled and a large newspaper was purchased
    - No confidence in the corporate leadership to make decisions that would actually help or benefit the company, evident by how the organization was staffed.

Change with the times...you have to be able to pay people if you dream of being able to keep them. Constantly rotating experienced, talented professionals out and replacing them with fresh college grads is a tough way to excel.

Great coworkers, great customer service, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comparable pay for entry level employees, friendly staff, active in the community.

Cons

No raises for years - pay freeze. Working late when sales staff missed deadlines and production staff had to stay after-hours to get everything done. Sales Staff got commission (aka a reward for missing a deadline) production team (graphics, prepress, printing staff, circulation, carriers) got longer hours with no reward. No overtime. No employee incentive program, little to no training program for new employees, slow on equipment upgrades. High turnover rate, especially in circulation, sales staff and carriers.

Employee incentives for all staff, not just sales team. Manager training.

Destined for destitution

Former Employee - Does it Matter? All the jobs there suck in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Does it Matter? All the jobs there suck in Decatur, IL

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What can I say? I spent three years at the Decatur newspaper working with retail sales, the newsroom, the photographers, marketing, and classified ad department. I guess some of the people were okay. You know - the grunts who actually did the work?

Cons

Management, management, management,...all utterly worthless. Pointing out actual "cons" is an exercise in simply multiplying every employment factor by zero - a simple waste of time to even quantify all the poor aspects of this place of employment. The list of how to improve things with a wrecking ball would be shorter...and more effective.

Quit now while you're behind (way behind).

My coworkers were great, but the top level administration was hit-or-miss at best.

Former Employee - Sports Desk Clerk in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Sports Desk Clerk in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Lee Enterprises part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working with knowledgeable people who shared my interests and hobbies and I appreciated the laid-back atmosphere in the newsroom. (I worked nights.)

Cons

The administration sometimes gets into micromanagement, which is really obnoxious. I didn't experience a ton of it because I worked nights and the higher-ups were all out of the office then. But the sense I got from talking to people and seeing the emails they sent out was that working during the day was not nearly so pleasant as working nights. The training I went through bore this out--I actually had to go through training on how to handle workplace "slips, trips, and spills." Not joking.

Figuring out a strategy to make the newspaper business successful long-term is going to be really difficult, but you don't help by chasing off independent creative types with your micro-management.

Downward spiral

I have been working at Lee Enterprises

Pros

Creative freedom. Good people to work with.

Cons

No money for anything. No hope of promotion or raises.

Slowly Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Newsroom in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Newsroom in Davenport, IA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people working in the trenches.

Cons

Poor management in an industry that needs creative ideas in order to survive. Many employees stick it out because they have spouses with good jobs in the community. Unattached employees typically don't stay for more than a couple of years before moving on, especially the most talented ones.

Give up the perks you seem to expect, invest more time in day to day activities, and promote from within ( although morale is so bad at this point that it may not matter anymore).

Constant turmoil and downsizing

Former Employee - Manager in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Manager in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A good brand name that opened doors. Every month, the company seems to deteriorate a little more. The best part was that the co-workers realized this was happening and would do what they could to help each other out.

Cons

Upper management, cost cutting, no raises. We endured multiple years of no raises for the employees while the president and upper management group mwho were responsible for the decline of this once great company were rewarded with raises and stock grants on a regular basis.

This company needs a new management team and board of directors. The current group has retained their jobs while the stock price decreased 95+%.

LeeLocal Sales - best job in 15 years of sales.

Current Employee - LeeLocal Digital Media Consultant (Sales) in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - LeeLocal Digital Media Consultant (Sales) in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Uncapped commission. Lots of spiff $$. Monthly giveaways! I have worked in boiler room-type environments in the past and LeeLocal is the FURTHEST from this type of operation that I have ever seen. Sales, Fulfillment and Retention depts have grown significantly in the 17 months I have been here. This Sales job requires a true consultant's mindset and consequently, those who come in expecting to "turn & burn" will NOT thrive. Great product development!

Cons

High turnover with those who cannot "grasp the concepts". Digital is an ever changing environment, those who are too rigid to adapt, cannot think on the fly and who are not willing to problem solve to improve CLIENT's online presence and visiblity will go by the wayside and will not be employed for long with this company (3-4 months to get up to speed). Not a CON in my opinion.

An Eye Opening and Stressful 18 Months

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Longview, WA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Benefits were generous, including health insurance and two weeks vacation after the first three months of employment and paid sick leave
    - The work was fast paced and interesting. There was lots of good work experience to be had as an entry level graphic designer, specifically working with clients and completing large projects in a short amount of time.

Cons

- Little opportunity for career advancement. All upper management at the newspaper I worked for came from the sales department.
    - No raises for hourly employees.
    - Stressful work environment. Newspaper ads have extremely tight deadlines, and we often did not have enough staff to complete the assigned work in a timely fashion. Also, we were heavily discouraged from taking overtime. I cannot recommend this job to anyone who has a anxious or excitable. personality.
    - Atmosphere of uncertainty. In the last year of my employment, many workers left or were fired with no explanation given to those left behind. People would just disappear and their cubicles would be cleaned out by the time everybody got back from lunch. Socializing was also discouraged by management because of our perpetually tight deadlines.
    - Attendance and punctuality are top priorities, those who need more flexibility should consider working elsewhere.

Try to be open an honest about policies and rule changes. Also, listen to your employees' concerns before you agree to implement sales gimmicks or advertising schemes.

High turnover

Former Employee - Lee Local Sales in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Lee Local Sales in Davenport, IA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved a lot of the people I worked with and when sales are good...things are amazing. The money, when I first started, was amazing.

Cons

Unfortunately, they would rather be a boiler room than a successful marketing company. They have a tendancy to come up with new product ideas and launch it with no research. Their billing department is a mess. Their turnover rate is unbelieveable. Money is the bottom line. It does not matter how long you have been there, they will fire you with no notice. The benefits are horrible as well. The commission structure was amazing, then they tried to make it more "new hire" friendly, then they basically paid out the same on every sale no matter how high. Tends to fire all of the employees that are loysl to them

Stop the mass firing and mass hiring. You cannot fire a group of people for budget reasons and then rehire 20 new people a month later. Don't be so cold when letting the people go you have worked for for a long time. It is sad and hurtful.

Lee Enterprises Photos