Lee Murphy Law Firm

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
2.1

James Lee Jr.

Working at this firm is not like what you see on TV... so be prepared.

I worked at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and gain experience in the professional world. 100% fully paid benefits to full-time employees, paid parking, 15 days of PTO, great office space (huge kitchen/dining area, snacks, drinks, patio, etc.)

Cons

Pay is not great at all compared to market average. People are given "Management" titles and make less than clerks, analysts, and even interns for other companies. Managers are promoted on a subjective basis and rarely posses the business skills to make sound judgement decisions which directly effect the rest of the firm. Bonuses are subjective to managing partner's feelings about the employee as are raises. Huge glass ceiling for admin staff - you are hired to do a job and not make much money. This is a firm for college students and those with not much experience. The firm is not dedicated to keeping employees for more than 1-2 years which is by design.

Aside from all of the above - the firm is reminiscent of high school or a sorority. Young and pretty females will excel here until they are eventually replaced for a newer "model" (no pun intended). Favoritism is everywhere. Lunch break is only 30 minutes across the board. There is poor employee moral throughout the firm making for a depressing work environment

Practice law and leave the day to day business to PROFESSIONAL, qualified BUSINESS people. Most attorney's go to law school to practice law, not supervise an intake team, medical records team, and make HR decisions. Let the firm Administrator administer the business as designed.

Overworked & Underpaid

I have been working at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met a lot of intelligent people. Some of the friendliest coworkers I have worked with. Some of them are even in management levels. Some are hard workers and will work OT & take on extra projects. Others are lazy and will shift their lack of experience & lack of work ethics onto others & take the credit.

Cons

Raises are usually given to an elite few usually managers who already get paid a decent salary, same as the bonuses only managers get them & senior attorneys don't think anybody else deserves. Yes, it's true you have to be young & pretty to get promoted or have a title created especially for them. Excellent work ethics and attention to detail gets you more work but no more pay. There is no advancements only lateral moves which also means more work & no pay.

Sit down one on one & actually talk to your employees not at them. Please take down the suggestion box if you are not ready to hear suggestions. Some of the people you pass by in the hallway or break room really have good ideas, don't wait until they tell you they are quitting or give their 2 week notice before you want to call them in for a meeting to find out why you're leaving.

C team

I worked at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

There aren't any anymore. This place is like a post apocalyptic work place. You can tell there was once intelligent life, but they are gone.

Cons

Nobody really knows what they're doing. So sad to see this once thriving business be decayed by incompetence .

Hire some real managers that know the business. All these current managers have no intellectual knowledge . Why did you choose this route?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a long term job you want

I worked at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time

Pros

May be a first good job to gain law experience, but don't expect any advancement opportunity. Some nice people. Interesting work.

Cons

Lack of management-managers don't know anything, don't work, total lack of communication. No room for advancements. Un-motivational environment.

Very interesting, hard work is rewarded

I have been working at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great PTO benefits and co-workers

Cons

Not so great pay scale

Worst year of my life.

I worked at Lee Murphy Law Firm

Pros

Kitchen, PTO, paid benefits, free parking. Good for young, college kids if you just need 6-8 month job.

Cons

Terrible pay. Heavy micro-management. The firm didn't install cameras for safety/loss prevention, they use them to spy on the employees! Atmosphere is very big brother w cameras everywhere and "managers" who have access to view those cameras at their desk at any time. Unlike any thing I have ever seen. This has to be a legal/invasion of privacy issue. Favoritism is high here. Clicks everywhere. Hard work is very unappreciated. Partners are very removed from the day to day operations and leave it to HR to runs the company and enforce rules. MORALE IS TERRIBLY LOW. No one is happy here. No one. Not even the decently paid "managers".

Quit. Go work at a prison, which is obviously what you are trying to make this place. Stop taking life so seriously. Loosen up. Smile.

Good promotions for mediocre pay

I worked at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you keep your nose to the grindstone you will be promoted to full time. Good healthcare plan with dental. Downtown parking is reimbursed, and the office space is beautiful. Management are genuinely nice people and mean well. Lots of pretty female employees.

Cons

Employees who had been with the company since its inception were given raises that barely accounted for inflation. I left spring/ summer 2013, so this may have since changed. High employee turnover due to low pay when I was there. (But I guess $12 - $16/hr is competitive for office jobs.)

I didn't see the pretty-girls-getting-promoted thing. Could be true though.

Oh and management clearly wrote the Nov. 20 review, their words verbatim.

No one is going to remain loyal to the company at $16/hour after two years of work.

Room for Advancement

Current Employee - Intake Specialist
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist

I have been working at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is growing and has many avenues in which to advance. Employees who exhibit excellent work ethic and attention to detail move up and advance within the firm quickly. Management is always looking for ways to improve morale and streamline processes.

Cons

This business is known for constant changes due to new laws or information regarding ongoing cases, which is out of the firms control. Thus, team members need to be flexible as a result.

Keep up the good work!

This place should be glad glassdoor makes you give at least 1 star.

I worked at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned how to deal with poor management, and grow thick skin for future employment with better, respectable, and reputable places.

Cons

Whereas most places give you raises, whether its a lot, very little, or in between, during my time here most (if not all) employees did not receive ANY. Partners were claiming that no profits were being made, and that being that were start up firm, it was hard to give out raises (clearly a lie). We were also told constantly of a newer and better incentive program that would replace what we had in the Intake department, in which ALL EMPLOYEES would benefit from, only to never receive one even till the day I left. Most of the negative reviews are true, which is pretty terrifying if that many former co workers / current co workers agreed on the same issues that haunted their time there. For some reason management also like departments to be behind, so they can have a reason to yell at us for our work not being done, and yet they will never approve OT to get it done. Oh and the earlier reviews about young pretty girls getting promoted easily and quickly are true, as well as management / supervisors constantly looking at their inferiors with security cameras while they hide behind their computer screens.

Run for political office instead, you guys do what you do best which is not doing your job and lying. Actually spend the money to run a background check on the people you hire. How can you trust in whomever you hire to deal with such confidential information on a daily basis?

If you aren't a young, pretty girl, stay away like the plague.

Former Employee - Intake Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Lee Murphy Law Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

All you can drink soda fountain, and public transportation reimbursement (most of it anyway)

Cons

The earlier review in which that only young and pretty women are promoted is very true. I have seen many well educated smart men and women simply quit out of
    frustration / move on to more respectful places of employment simply because the promotions that were suppose to be for them have gone to younger and prettier girls with
    far less credentials. Only young pretty girls are even paid attention to by management, even if their work quality is below average, simply because of their looks, which is
    frustrating for employees who actually put in OT and work hard. The recent perfect reviews is obviously somebody from senior management trying to make this place look better,
    when in reality all the negative reviews of it so far are true.

Actually promote and give raises to people who deserve it based on their work ethic, not because of their looks. Your business model of hiring low-cost, inexperienced workers who applied on Craigslist has only increased turnover, decreased morale and put an unfair burden on those remaining people who actually work hard.
    Stop watching everybody like a hawk with those security cameras, what are we in? Prison?

Worked for Lee Murphy Law Firm? Contribute to the Community!