Leed's Reviews

2.5

Michael Bernstein

A great entry level experience.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in New Kensington, PA

I have been working at Leed's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are really fun to be around and it is a really relaxed environment. Flexible hours. Work from home on occasion if you need. A great way to start your career.

Cons

The cafeteria food isn't the best, but it's relatively cheap and edible. Profit sharing program has yet to pay out in the past year so don't count on it as income. Slightly lower salary as it's not directly in Pittsburgh (but the 0 traffic and free parking kind of makes up for it).

Horrible.

Former Employee - Production in New Kensington, PA
    Former Employee - Production in New Kensington, PA

I worked at Leed's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Ability to order products offered.
    -Good amount of overtime (too much) so you can make a decent living, if you want to sacrifice your personal life.
    -There are some genuinely nice people who you work with.
    -No strict dress code.
    -Benefits aren't bad.
    -On-site cafeteria.

Cons

-Long hours.
    -Horrible shift times.
    -Too much mandatory overtime.
    -Not paid enough for the quality of work expected.
    -Dirty / borderline unhealthy work environment.
    -Extremely high turnover rate.
    -Long walk to employee parking lot.

This place doesn't care about the employees. In the nearly 6 months I was there, I witnessed more people come and go than I care to talk about. The point system keeps you under the company's thumb, you aren't allowed to take time off unless you've been there long enough for personal days. Managers can fire you without any justifiable cause (they make you sign "at will" contracts), favoritism is rampant, and generally power-hungry team leaders.

At the start of the day, you are forced to walk quite a distance from the employee parking to the building. If you are on first shift, you can normally park closer if you get there early enough. Second shift has barely any close parking, but you can move your vehicle closer after 6 PM. You are expected to work on extremely cold days, and you're expected to work when there is a big snow storm and travel is dangerous.

Working in summer is excruciating. There are only large fans offered, no air conditioning. The factory can get up to and over 90 degrees on an average summer day, so wear shorts. If you're working in an air conditioned part such as apparel or colorprint, you're in luck.

Your typical day consists of 10 hours. You only receive a 20 minute lunch break, and on-site cafeteria, while good and reasonably priced, is extremely slow. You get 10 minute breaks every two hours, but again it's not enough time to relax. You will be standing the entire time you're there, except for your breaks. The floor mats given to stand on are no better than the concrete floor underneath. If you work in silkscreen, color print, or any other department that uses ink / chemicals, the ventilation is poor and you had better bring some Excedrin with you. If you work in the warehouse, expect to be breathing in dust and experience a host of respiratory problems.

You will work weekends, sometimes, as well. Weekends are much preferable to work than standard days, you don't have to meet any particular ship deadlines and everyone is really laid back, however there are times where you will work both Saturday AND Sunday.

Your pay is low, around $8.50 an hour if you work on first shift, second shift you get 50 cents more. Raises only come once a year, and the highest is 3.4%.

If you work on a machine you will receive a higher wage, however I was there for almost 6 months and never received my higher wage, and was told it was because my numbers were lower than average (kind of hard to achieve when your machine doesn't work properly).

HR doesn't help much, even though they generally are good people who want to help. They are at the mercy of a few particular managers, one of whom is involved in a relationship with the overall factory manager.

Theft is high. You are told on your first day that stealing is a federal offense, since it's a Federal Trade Zone and none of the product is taxed until it leaves the warehouse. This fact, is often disregarded, yet management doesn't seem to care.

Stay away from this company, but if you have no other choice, it's a good place to work if you don't mind sacrificing your social life and integrity. You will be stressed, overworked, and underpaid.

Resign.

Great people, and management, pay could use some work

Current Employee - Manager in New Kensington, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in New Kensington, PA

I have been working at Leed's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented
    Flexible hours
    401k investment is immediate
    Promotions can happen fast for those who excel

Cons

Compared to the rest of the area IT industry, pay is a little low
    Holidays are only 6

Bring pay up to area standards to remain competitive.

Burnout central

Former Employee - Partner Development Representative in New Kensington, PA
    Former Employee - Partner Development Representative in New Kensington, PA

I worked at Leed's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to advance, accessible upper management

Cons

Useless office supervisors, unwillingness to work with you, everyone is expendable, low pay for effort and stress level.

If someone cannot do their job correctly, don't promote them to supervise those who can. When I started at the company, I was a temp in production. Once hired, I moved to the office within 3 months and gained my next promotion within a year. It seemed alright until I was backed into a corner and made to take on a customer that was excessively difficult. This was not the last straw though. I worked at it..hard.. and eventually gained the respect of my customer and coworkers. After the first 6 months with the customer, I had increased 1st quarter program sales by 35% (roughly $50,000). Unfortunately, their attendance is based on a (yearly cycling) points system with termination at 3.5 points..1 point equals 1 day. A final warning for any reason is an automatic forfeit of the quarterly bonus. Oh, and I mentioned increasing sales, but there was no commision for my dept, only for the sales dept who didnt touch my customer except during the yearly contract negotiations.
    As for the general dissatisfaction regarding my dept, there was a gross disproportion in regard to work load, and it was definitely based on favoritism. For example, two women in my dept whom my supervisor had sexploints with (general knowledge, not supposition) had the easiest territories, but whined the most and got the most help (assigned by said supervisor), but on the few occasions when I was overloaded, the first question was "are you sure you're cut out for this?" Nevermind the significant increase in sales and the award given to me by my customer. I was repeatedly threatened with demotion when my super couldnt understand my dilemmas after 4 iterations (common problem as others could attest.)
    In all honesty, I gained alot of experience, but I was severely shortchanged. I did get a free passport out of it though.

Too much stress for the money

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Leed's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Extensive training
    Nice office, desk and supplies as needed
    Company discount

Cons

High Stress
    Dealing with angry distributors and no one along the chain seems to want to help, so customer service is left being chewed out by people all of the time.
    Reports had to be completed before you were allowed to go home

Great opportunity if your willing to work for less money than the surrounding area for a smaller more personable company

Current Employee - Applications Developer in New Kensington, PA

I have been working at Leed's

Pros

- The ability to buy cheap Chinese products used in the promotions industry.
    - Fair benefits package around $300 a month for family medical ability to get vision and dental as well
    - 401K
    - Life Insurance
    - National City work perks
    - HR is very aware of employee needs and works hard to meet them
    - Company is very open about whats going on within the company
    - Flex Time Scheduling for employees
    - Managers allow an hour here and there to take care of personal business

Cons

- Paid a lot less than in Pittsburgh
    - Max 3.4% raise
    - Company bonuses are very up and down hard to predict
    - Praise if few and far between unless you are a VP or Business Analyst
    - Technology is at least 5 years behind
    - Very rundown cubicals and extremely uncomfortable chairs that don't adjust or recline
    - Out of the way, in the middle of Rural PA
    - Slow internet

Better chairs would be amazing my back and bum hurt very badly after 8.5 hours in the chair and I'm in my early 20's its worst for the older folks