Legacy Health System Reviews

62 reviews filtered by
3.5
Legacy Health System President & CEO George J. Brown
George J. Brown

Pros
  • Great people work there, good access to Employee Health benefits such as vaccinations, good benefits, if you can get them (in 4 reviews)

• The physicians were engaged and became leaders who focused on improving patient care and simultaneously cutting cost (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This is all while senior management positions continue to grow and grow (in 3 reviews)

• Benefits aren't that great (medical) (in 3 reviews)

1. Current employee

Current Employee - Back Office Staff
    Current Employee - Back Office Staff

I have been working at Legacy Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture. Compensation good.

Cons

Current management is not connected to staff. Working environment is not appropriate for volume of patients being run through. Patients being added without consideration of appropriate time on schedule. Employees continually working through lunch and breaks to accommodate volume. Management aware of working environment but looking at dollar amount producing.

Management is being hired according to degree, with no attention to "people skills". Management has no idea what goes on if office except what is told to them and then management only relays to upper management what they want known. A lot of management is in over their head and this shows.

Miserable

Former Employee - Physician
    Former Employee - Physician

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None - terrible place to work.

Cons

Extremely poor management. Not well trained. Treat employees very badly. Hostile work environment. No accountability for poor management. Evaluations based on hearsay and not facts. No system set up to provide information to upper management that would be taken seriously.

Hire mid managers with experience in health care and sit down and really listen to the employees. Take them seriously instead of treating them as if they are not valuable. This type of management will eventually sink this company.

Very Hostile Workplace!

Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN) in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN) in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Serves a high volume of indigent.

Cons

Chronically understaffed and below market value pay. Managed by negative reinforcement. Terminates staff frequently in unfair labor practices. Not a happy place to work. A struggling, stressful workplace.

No medical insurance , no PTO for 3 months, must work 7 hrs/day to qualify when they don't give you the hours

Former Employee - COTA/L in Roxboro, NC
    Former Employee - COTA/L in Roxboro, NC

I worked at Legacy Health System part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. I had to travel for 30 miles to a po-dunk town for work

Cons

Very religious- Played Christian music during work day- Quoted the "verse of the day " from the Bible in the am- Too far to travel

Begin PTO and medical insurance on day 1

If you could work somewhere else, anywhere else, you should

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

I really can't think of any.

Cons

Employees that are on the front lines actually caring for patients are continually expected to do more with less. Less pay, less resources, less support staff, etc. This is all while senior management positions continue to grow and grow. Contracts mean nothing to the company and employees are let go or their hours cut at-will. Compensation is not based on performance so performance appraisals are useless. As for benefits, working for a company that provides healthcare, the healthcare benefits are ABYSMAL compared to what other (even smaller) companies provide. The retirement match is also a joke.

Used to be fantastic. Going downhill really fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

Above average benefits, Above average pay rates at least in Information Technology. Very dedicated and genuinely nice colleagues (non-managerial). Flexible hours.

Cons

Terrible upper management. Complete lack of vision and foresight. Absolutely no planning. Extremely reactive and shortsighted decisions taken by upper management and the executives in the last 2 years. Recent Medicare policies are eliminating most of the funding for quality employees.

Think things through. Be proactive. Have a five year strategic vision and stick to the plan. Changing directions every few months is disastrous. And above all, TRUST your employees.

A complete lack of focus on upper management.

I worked at Legacy Health System

Pros

Good healthcare
    Fairly consistent benefits with other healtcare providers

Cons

Management comes on board, and leaves for acceptable ideas are implemented
    Consistency of perfomance reviews
    High turnover in some deparments leads to a knowledge exodus.

Try and focus on the future. Instead of fighting against Providence, focus on what you do better. Require managers attend some kind of Six Sigma training.

Nepotism abounds at Legacy Health

I worked at Legacy Health System

Pros

Good starting wage not much else I can say

Cons

nepotism, unprofessional behavior by management, moe supportive no support of workers with families

Legacy really needs to get the blatant nepotism under control. In my department if you didn't agree with the managers behavior or act like the manager and her underlings you were forced out. With such high turn over in some departments you would think they would start to look at the managers of those departments, instead of constantly blaming the employees. They would also do good by really supporting employees with families, instead of treating them like second class workers.

Hopewell House outdoor maintenance

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

Hopewell House is a lovely place to spend my volunteer time. I have been an employee of Legacy during my professional career as an RN. Now I volunteer there.

Cons

The grounds at Hopewell House are in a deplorable state of non-maintenance

I am a hospice volunteer at Hopewell House and have performed duties there since 2008. It has been brought to my attention by staff members and families of our patients that the grounds at Hopewell are extremely unkempt. Weeds are growing in all of the former flower beds, there are dead branches hanging from shrubbery and the gazebo area at the rear of the building is totally overgrown and the roses are dying. It is a shame that our patients and their families have to observe this mess. The other legacy hospitals appear to be fortunate to have wonderful landscaping services. Why does Hopewell not have the same.? One of our nurses has been so generous with her time and money to plant bulbs and other flowers at the entrance. She should not have to do this herself as well as provide excellent hospice service to our patients and their families. Please help make us proud of our facility and maintain this gem of an institution belonging to Legacy. Perhaps one of the management people should visit this wonderful place and recognize the work we do and take a look at the outside environment. We do bring our patients outside in their beds and family members use the courtyard for respite and comfort. How lovely it would be to have beautiful surroundings and not a weed patch. Hoping someone can make Hopewell as beautiful as the other Legacy facilities.

Disappointment

Former Employee - Safety Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Safety Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful "family" of co-workers. Great health care system.

Cons

Known for mass layoffs. Budgeting strategy to maintain competition is harmful to current employees