Legacy Health System

Very Hostile Workplace!

Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN)  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN) in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Serves a high volume of indigent.

Cons

Chronically understaffed and below market value pay. Managed by negative reinforcement. Terminates staff frequently in unfair labor practices. Not a happy place to work. A struggling, stressful workplace.

No medical insurance , no PTO for 3 months, must work 7 hrs/day to qualify when they don't give you the hours

Former Employee - COTA/L  in  Roxboro, NC
    Former Employee - COTA/L in Roxboro, NC

I worked at Legacy Health System part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. I had to travel for 30 miles to a po-dunk town for work

Cons

Very religious- Played Christian music during work day- Quoted the "verse of the day " from the Bible in the am- Too far to travel

Begin PTO and medical insurance on day 1

If you could work somewhere else, anywhere else, you should

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

I really can't think of any.

Cons

Employees that are on the front lines actually caring for patients are continually expected to do more with less. Less pay, less resources, less support staff, etc. This is all while senior management positions continue to grow and grow. Contracts mean nothing to the company and employees are let go or their hours cut at-will. Compensation is not based on performance so performance appraisals are useless. As for benefits, working for a company that provides healthcare, the healthcare benefits are ABYSMAL compared to what other (even smaller) companies provide. The retirement match is also a joke.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be fantastic. Going downhill really fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

Above average benefits, Above average pay rates at least in Information Technology. Very dedicated and genuinely nice colleagues (non-managerial). Flexible hours.

Cons

Terrible upper management. Complete lack of vision and foresight. Absolutely no planning. Extremely reactive and shortsighted decisions taken by upper management and the executives in the last 2 years. Recent Medicare policies are eliminating most of the funding for quality employees.

Think things through. Be proactive. Have a five year strategic vision and stick to the plan. Changing directions every few months is disastrous. And above all, TRUST your employees.

A complete lack of focus on upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health System

Pros

Good healthcare
    Fairly consistent benefits with other healtcare providers

Cons

Management comes on board, and leaves for acceptable ideas are implemented
    Consistency of perfomance reviews
    High turnover in some deparments leads to a knowledge exodus.

Try and focus on the future. Instead of fighting against Providence, focus on what you do better. Require managers attend some kind of Six Sigma training.

Nepotism abounds at Legacy Health

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health System

Pros

Good starting wage not much else I can say

Cons

nepotism, unprofessional behavior by management, moe supportive no support of workers with families

Legacy really needs to get the blatant nepotism under control. In my department if you didn't agree with the managers behavior or act like the manager and her underlings you were forced out. With such high turn over in some departments you would think they would start to look at the managers of those departments, instead of constantly blaming the employees. They would also do good by really supporting employees with families, instead of treating them like second class workers.

Hopewell House outdoor maintenance

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

Hopewell House is a lovely place to spend my volunteer time. I have been an employee of Legacy during my professional career as an RN. Now I volunteer there.

Cons

The grounds at Hopewell House are in a deplorable state of non-maintenance

I am a hospice volunteer at Hopewell House and have performed duties there since 2008. It has been brought to my attention by staff members and families of our patients that the grounds at Hopewell are extremely unkempt. Weeds are growing in all of the former flower beds, there are dead branches hanging from shrubbery and the gazebo area at the rear of the building is totally overgrown and the roses are dying. It is a shame that our patients and their families have to observe this mess. The other legacy hospitals appear to be fortunate to have wonderful landscaping services. Why does Hopewell not have the same.? One of our nurses has been so generous with her time and money to plant bulbs and other flowers at the entrance. She should not have to do this herself as well as provide excellent hospice service to our patients and their families. Please help make us proud of our facility and maintain this gem of an institution belonging to Legacy. Perhaps one of the management people should visit this wonderful place and recognize the work we do and take a look at the outside environment. We do bring our patients outside in their beds and family members use the courtyard for respite and comfort. How lovely it would be to have beautiful surroundings and not a weed patch. Hoping someone can make Hopewell as beautiful as the other Legacy facilities.

Disappointment

Former Employee - Safety Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Safety Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful "family" of co-workers. Great health care system.

Cons

Known for mass layoffs. Budgeting strategy to maintain competition is harmful to current employees

Abusive work environment

Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health System

Pros

Pay was good when scheduled hours were worked (and not cancelled),

Cons

Abusive attitude of other hospital workers towards the psychiatric patients as well as the psychiatric staff.

address the abusive attitudes as well as educate all other staff on the duties of the mental health therapists.

A long way to go

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

The benefits are excellent, with low copays, zero deductible, very good prescription coverage, dental, flexible spending account, vision, several hundred dollars of "alternative medicine" coverage, and of course, a network of providers and pharmacies within the System to patronize. The majority of employees are caring and friendly and are doing their part to ensure patients continue to remain priority #1.

Cons

The facilities are dreary, except in areas patients and other customers are expected. This means anyplace the employees are going to be, the desks, walls, carpets and office machines might just be older than they are. The Values and Mission, like many companies, are apparently only for the purpose of hanging in a frame or posting on the website. They're definitely not carried throughout the organization.The company doesn't value its employees and it's apparent from the demoralization which is palpable from the rank and file.

Find out what is happening at the Department level. Mandate that the Mission and Values are carried out on every organization level and follow through to make certain this is happening. Conduct a sweep and rid the System of "old-timers" who refuse to change with the times, refuse to be flexible, to innovate.

Worked for Legacy Health System? Contribute to the Community!