Legal Interpreting

Updated April 25, 2014
Updated April 25, 2014
2.4

CEO

Great company & amazing team members

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Legal Interpreting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Legal Interpreting Services is a place i would recommend for everyone looking to find a place where you feel valued and encouraged everyday. The culture that this company has is like no other, the employees are treated with respect and are paid attention at all times. The open door policy is literally what this company is all about. Everyone is able to communicate very efficiently with upper management and any issues that arise are targeted on the spot to ensure all parties are able to move forward. Time off policies make sense, PTO's are allotted after the 3 month mark and other benefits kick in around the same time. This company has a lot to offer and will improve in the next years.

Cons

There is a lot to be done, however everything is manageable and resources are made available to improve your production.

I believe that management is doing an outstanding job and should continue to do the same.

Freelance Linguists Beware!

Former Employee - Linguist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Linguist in New York, NY

I worked at Legal Interpreting as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Assignments are interesting. Staff is cordial, though they can't provide any real administrative support when it comes to accounts payable.

Cons

Their payment cycle is 45 days after assingment completion, per contract.

However, even with the extra-long payment cycle, they are still unable to make payments on time. This company's finance is badly managed and has an ongoing cash-flow issue, read. no pay for freelancers.

Calls and questions about when checks might be mailed out are simply brushed off by staff with no accountability, no ownership or the crux of the issue no real power for resolution.

The manager has no cash to pay the freelancers or run this business like a buisness - on both ends.

I would not recommend working for this company unless you are okay with being jerked around and getting your money who knows when... Oh

Have sufficient cash on hand to cover the operating costs of your business so you don't leave your freelancers hanging w/o $$$ and your staff having to fend for your poor financial acumen and management strategy.

High turnover and uncomfortable environment to work in.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Legal Interpreting full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part was the people I worked with. Most of the people I met at this small company were brilliant, multi-lingual, funny, and hardworking.

Cons

The president has a very strong personality and is very hands-on, so if she rubs you the wrong way you are never going to be happy there. The hours were very long for the meager compensation. During the interview process they made it sound like it was an amazing place to work, and I'm guessing this is how they managed to get so many amazing people to work for them. But turnover was extremely high, morale was extremely low, and I couldn't wait to move on once I had the full picture. The last straw was when some of the freelancers we hired actually showed up in person because they had been getting the runaround for so long and just wanted to collect what they were owed for their work. No-one from upper management would see them, and we low-level employees had to apologize for a situation that was out of our control. One woman was actually crying with frustration. It was a valuable learning experience and I don't regret trying it, but unless they've done a complete turnaround in terms of how they treat their staff, I'd run away screaming from any opportunity to work for them again.

Compensate your employees fairly, don't hold pointless meetings that waste everybody's time, and don't micro-manage every single second--people who are under constant scrutiny are not productive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Negative working environment with false hopes of advancement.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Legal Interpreting

Pros

Good stepping stone to gain knowledge of the language industry. Able to gain experience and interaction with a variety of clients and multicultural communities.

Cons

Only 8 personal/sick days for the first year, no vacation time, and no federal holidays. Limited health benefits only after 6 months. Low salaries at $30,000 to $35,000, a 7% raise after the 3 month probationary period then maybe another raise after a year. Strict management rules and general distrust towards employees, employees have to report status and whereabouts. No communication between management and employees, suggestions and feedback from employees is never heard and dismissed. An alarmingly high turnover rate for a company with less than 20 employees, there is a new/replaced employee every month. A negative environment and overall dissatisfaction. There is no chance for promotion or growth.

Listen, communicate, and invest in your employees it will help decrease the high turnover rate. Offer better pay, more benefits, and rewards to motivate your employees.

Interpreter and translator on oath. Interpreter translator in freelance

Current Employee - Trilingual PA  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trilingual PA in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Legal Interpreting full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very interesting work. I have worked with very skillful people. Any time, different topics to cope with. Since I have started to translate for the court, i have learned a lot.

Cons

The organization of the court can be sometimes a bit confusing. Salaries are not great;

Interpreters and translators should get a better compensation.

Worked for Legal Interpreting? Contribute to the Community!