Legal Sea Foods

Updated October 14, 2014
3.2

Legal Sea Foods President and CEO Roger S. Berkowitz
Roger S. Berkowitz

Pros
  • The quality of food is exceptional (in 4 reviews)

• room for growth, great employees, smooth training, always busy, food quality (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very minimal however it is a reputable company with a lot to offer to its employees (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours and not a good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

it works!

Current Employee - Server in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great job training, culture based work environment.

Cons

There are some wonderful managers, and some not so wonderful.

Personality testing for management

High earnings, but favoritism is common practice.

Former Employee - Front of House Server in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front of House Server in Boston, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment: location is premier, staff is diverse and fun, customers are there to really have a good time and spend good money

Compared to other service jobs, this is a very high earnings restaurant. Flexible with requests off. Great benefits if you've put in the time (medical, 401k, etc). This company is a staple of Boston and it seems that everyone has worked there or knows someone who has at one time in their lives.

Cons

Physically demanding job, fast paced, not for the beginning server. Small working quarters. Definitely lots of internal politics and favoritism. High level of micromanagement at times as well us very long hours.

Spread the love around!

Great company, management varies

Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They've thought EVERYTHING out, and some of the corporate policies seem a little over the top, but it's satisfying to work for such a well-organized company. The training is incredible and they really build your skills. Staff was good when I was there -- mostly intelligent, hardworking people.

Cons

Management was weird -- some really good, some pretty idiotic. They treated staff like kids (most were in college) which I found pretty infuriating -- very unprofessional. Not all managers were like that, but it was impossible when the ones like that were working.

Pulling the "insubordination" card makes you lose the faith of your staff very fast. If you treat staff like children, they'll probably act that way.

Grueling training, stressed managers, but a great learning experience overall.

Former Employee - Server in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Legal Sea Foods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company invests in its employees. You are put through intense training and testing. I am now extremely knowledgeable about food and wine, which has helped me professionally since working here.

LSF takes quality control and allergies very seriously. I would definitely dine at the restaurant.

Cons

The company exploits its servers for cheap labor. I have never had to do that much side work in a restaurant job before. When you are consistently staying 2 hour after your last table left because you are doing side work, then you should be paid more than $3 per hour to do so.

I worked at LSF while going to college full time. While I did learn a lot about food, wine, and people, I was consistently scheduled 6 days a week, with a double shift on the weekend. I spoke with management about this every time the schedule was posted, but I was told each time that the schedule couldn't be changed once it was posted and thus nothing could be done until they made the next schedule. Nothing was ever done about it and I eventually had to quit. There were several other employees who were in my same situation. The managers seemed extremely stressed, and perhaps as a result, treated all of the servers like this was our full time job and expected us to put LSF above everything else.

Mediocre restaurant, mediocre job

Current Employee - Server in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Server in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money isn't bad as a server. Fairly flexible, although holidays can be tough to get off.

Cons

Favoritism in scheduling, managers give their favorites a hugely unfair amount of shifts and good schedules/ sections. Sometimes people have a hard time getting scheduled more than 2-3 shifts during slow times, regardless of how long they've worked for the company. Also they are open every day of the year so expect to work holidays.

Don't play favorites so obviously. Leads to poor morale amongst staff.

Great.

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

paid vacation, great people, 50% discount on food, ability to transfer to different locations. People come to legals because of the elevated service and consistency. Restaurant managers work well with employees, creating excellent work culture.

Cons

Although family-run, Legals is very much corporate. Regional managers breath down restaurant managers' necks, causing micro-managing and neglecting bigger issues.

Give the older restaurants the same attention you would newer restaurants.

Not a bad company, just too corporate

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

room for growth, great employees, smooth training, always busy, food quality

Cons

corporate, lots of rules, upper management, sidework

Having a good manager is hit or miss. Most of the time they just follow the rules from upper management whether it hurts your pocket or not, they really don't care. If you're lucky, you'll work with a manager that actually cares about you and helping you out. For the most part, everyone knows what they're doing and each location is a family. I got along with everyone I worked with which was one of the main reasons I stayed working there.

Don't care about their employees at all

Former Employee - Head Server in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Head Server in Burlington, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers we were like a family

Cons

Even though their mission statement is return of guests, internal and external they truly don't care about their employees no matter what you do

Care more about your employees and they will be far more productive. If you can get fired on the spot for a single customer complaint true or false it's hard to give your 110% if it doesn't matter in the long run

I do not recommend working for this company. They have no loyalty for their employees.

Current Employee - Server in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Server in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility to swap shifts and the pay is good when you are busy

Cons

Upper management always has some new focus that hardly ever makes sense. Plus management is so concerned with losing even one customer that they would throw any employee under the bus.

Stop being so negative!!! For every compliment you give, you say 10 things that are not good.

Lucrative, but Personally Draining

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods

Pros

This is a great place to work at if you're looking to make quick cash. The educational program is excellent; I've learned a lot about food, wine, fish, and hospitality. Employee meals are a great perk .

Cons

Work/life balance is poor. I actually enjoy working with management, but the general manager is tough to work with, as he is intense and unapproachable. He lives and breathes Legal's and expects the same from employees, which is unrealistic for students and people with families. He cracks the whip on managers below him, forcing them to be a lot harder on employees than I can tell they'd like to be. He definitely has his favorites and gives them unfair advantages (placing them in good sections of restaurant, being more lenient on server errors, etc.); this is especially frustrating to witness.

If you work full-time, prepare to work multiple doubles in a row and risk your sanity. You have to fight for your breaks. There have been plenty of times where the restaurant was so busy that I wasn't be able to eat or rest for even 10 minutes, and management would get annoyed if I pressed for a break. "Return of Guest" is everything to management, but they forget that employee morale is a crucial factor of it. Most of my coworkers are unhappy and complain daily. By the end of the day (or night), we're just looking to make our cash and get out.

Treat employees with equal respect, and understand that intense management puts employees on edge and diminishes performance.

Legal Sea Foods Photos

View from the parking lot of the Legal Sea Foods' Quality Control Center and corporate headquarter office located in Boston, MA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.75)

+ Add Photo