Legal Sea Foods

Updated September 15, 2014
3.1

Legal Sea Foods President and CEO Roger S. Berkowitz
Roger S. Berkowitz

Pros
  • The company also has a good benefits package compared to all other restaurant companies (in 4 reviews)

• Summer always busy so potential for tips is high (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very minimal however it is a reputable company with a lot to offer to its employees (in 3 reviews)

• Long hours and not a good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great.

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

paid vacation, great people, 50% discount on food, ability to transfer to different locations. People come to legals because of the elevated service and consistency. Restaurant managers work well with employees, creating excellent work culture.

Cons

Although family-run, Legals is very much corporate. Regional managers breath down restaurant managers' necks, causing micro-managing and neglecting bigger issues.

Give the older restaurants the same attention you would newer restaurants.

Not a bad company, just too corporate

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

room for growth, great employees, smooth training, always busy, food quality

Cons

corporate, lots of rules, upper management, sidework

Having a good manager is hit or miss. Most of the time they just follow the rules from upper management whether it hurts your pocket or not, they really don't care. If you're lucky, you'll work with a manager that actually cares about you and helping you out. For the most part, everyone knows what they're doing and each location is a family. I got along with everyone I worked with which was one of the main reasons I stayed working there.

Lucrative, but Personally Draining

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods

Pros

This is a great place to work at if you're looking to make quick cash. The educational program is excellent; I've learned a lot about food, wine, fish, and hospitality. Employee meals are a great perk .

Cons

Work/life balance is poor. I actually enjoy working with management, but the general manager is tough to work with, as he is intense and unapproachable. He lives and breathes Legal's and expects the same from employees, which is unrealistic for students and people with families. He cracks the whip on managers below him, forcing them to be a lot harder on employees than I can tell they'd like to be. He definitely has his favorites and gives them unfair advantages (placing them in good sections of restaurant, being more lenient on server errors, etc.); this is especially frustrating to witness.

If you work full-time, prepare to work multiple doubles in a row and risk your sanity. You have to fight for your breaks. There have been plenty of times where the restaurant was so busy that I wasn't be able to eat or rest for even 10 minutes, and management would get annoyed if I pressed for a break. "Return of Guest" is everything to management, but they forget that employee morale is a crucial factor of it. Most of my coworkers are unhappy and complain daily. By the end of the day (or night), we're just looking to make our cash and get out.

Treat employees with equal respect, and understand that intense management puts employees on edge and diminishes performance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to work, quick cash

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods full-time

Pros

quick bucks, good management but Director of Operation is someone who doesnt deserve his position

Cons

If youre looking for a management opportunity working your way up, dont WORK at the stores under Tom Clancy; He will use you and expose you like garbage.

I like working with my managers. I can understand where they're coming from. One advice though, please give people a chance.

Can only speak for Pru location

I worked at Legal Sea Foods

Pros

As a former hostess it was nice to have flexible hours and an hourly pay. This particular location used to get celebrities every few months which was cool.

Cons

At the time, I didn't get a long with all of the management team, but that happens at any job. Having to work an unscheduled double shift is the worst.

Great Management, good training and staff

Former Employee - Waiter  in  Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Waiter in Huntington, NY

I worked at Legal Sea Foods part-time for more than a year

Pros

The management staff were always on my side, and rarely too harsh or strict. Good checks and balances between the different managers and corporate workers. The corporate staff kept a good eye on the management staff. Training program was effective and educational.

Cons

Over-staffed at times, perfect for people who are looking to work only on the weekends and maybe one or two shifts during the week but more difficult for those who wanted to work full time.

Keep the good workers around. Too many good managers and workers quit to take better offers elsewhere. Pay them more or lessen the workload.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern  in  South Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern in South Boston, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Free hot lunch every day for one hour built into your schedule, friendly coworkers and collaborative atmosphere, fun location in south boston on the water

Cons

Can be a tough commute by public transportation depending where you're coming from

Keep it up! your commitment to quality in everything that you do is evident.

They offer great training and a above cleaning program

Former Employee - Certified Trainer  in  Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free meals. Working with the freshest seafood that is on the market.

Cons

As a manager you need to constantly maintain labor cost that are no obtainable. The guest suffers due to the fact that you need to cut cost all around. Long hours and not a good work/life balance.

Work on putting together a better plan for BOH labor.

It was a fun job to have especially in the summer; the location I worked at was located inside of the mall.

Former Employee - Server  in  Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Legal Sea Foods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment, great menu and wine training, opportunities to advance

Cons

Management doesn't seem to know what they're doing; high turn over, guests can be hard to please.

Good place to work, for a short while.

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods

Pros

The education I recieved there was great. I now know more than I ever thought I would know about wine, beer, spirits and of course fish. Quality food a majority of the time.

Cons

Managers and coworkers often live and breathe LSF, which is fine and all, but can be a little intense at times.

Worked for Legal Sea Foods? Contribute to the Community!