Legal Sea Foods

Updated December 1, 2014
3.2

Legal Sea Foods President and CEO Roger S. Berkowitz
Roger S. Berkowitz

Pros
  • The quality of food and preparation is outstanding (in 4 reviews)

• room for growth, great employees, smooth training, always busy, food quality (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very minimal however it is a reputable company with a lot to offer to its employees (in 4 reviews)

• the company requires long hours, weekends, holidays without any added incentives (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience!

Current Employee - Server in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is very understanding and down to earth but yet professional. I work at the kendall square location and we have a lot of awesome regular guests come in, which guarentes money and respect. I have seen one server get promoted to management as well as a bartender. You are given the opportunity to take a wine class under a master of wine who personally creates our wine list! Employee discount is 50% and a fantastic staff meal is provided daily.

Cons

The hours can be long and weekend mornings tend to be slow. Management has to answer to a corporate office.

remember to create daily competitions for employees to get free food!

Burlington Location

I worked at Legal Sea Foods

Pros

Flexible hours, management for the most part was very understanding

Cons

Open 365, do not pay hostess extra to work holidays whilst working 10+ hours with no break.

Most unprofessional disorganized place I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Director of QA in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director of QA in Boston, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely none. Zero. Nada. Stay clear of these loosers.

Cons

Management let's Psychos still have jobs. All a bunch of backstabbers, heading towards bankruptcy.

Sell the company now and make Rita Lipson the new CEO.

Server/ Bartender

Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Legal Sea Foods has great training programs, including an exceptional beverage program. Taking advantage of these programs will help you forward your career in the industry, especially since this company is well-known in this area. Good health and dental.

Cons

Management is often in flux. The areas of focus and policies are often changing. Restaurant was often short staffed.

More incentives for those who do their jobs well would help boost moral.

it works!

Current Employee - Server in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great job training, culture based work environment.

Cons

There are some wonderful managers, and some not so wonderful.

Personality testing for management

Great company, management varies

Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They've thought EVERYTHING out, and some of the corporate policies seem a little over the top, but it's satisfying to work for such a well-organized company. The training is incredible and they really build your skills. Staff was good when I was there -- mostly intelligent, hardworking people.

Cons

Management was weird -- some really good, some pretty idiotic. They treated staff like kids (most were in college) which I found pretty infuriating -- very unprofessional. Not all managers were like that, but it was impossible when the ones like that were working.

Pulling the "insubordination" card makes you lose the faith of your staff very fast. If you treat staff like children, they'll probably act that way.

High earnings, but favoritism is common practice.

Former Employee - Front of House Server in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front of House Server in Boston, MA

I worked at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment: location is premier, staff is diverse and fun, customers are there to really have a good time and spend good money

Compared to other service jobs, this is a very high earnings restaurant. Flexible with requests off. Great benefits if you've put in the time (medical, 401k, etc). This company is a staple of Boston and it seems that everyone has worked there or knows someone who has at one time in their lives.

Cons

Physically demanding job, fast paced, not for the beginning server. Small working quarters. Definitely lots of internal politics and favoritism. High level of micromanagement at times as well us very long hours.

Spread the love around!

Grueling training, stressed managers, but a great learning experience overall.

Former Employee - Server in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Legal Sea Foods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company invests in its employees. You are put through intense training and testing. I am now extremely knowledgeable about food and wine, which has helped me professionally since working here.

LSF takes quality control and allergies very seriously. I would definitely dine at the restaurant.

Cons

The company exploits its servers for cheap labor. I have never had to do that much side work in a restaurant job before. When you are consistently staying 2 hour after your last table left because you are doing side work, then you should be paid more than $3 per hour to do so.

I worked at LSF while going to college full time. While I did learn a lot about food, wine, and people, I was consistently scheduled 6 days a week, with a double shift on the weekend. I spoke with management about this every time the schedule was posted, but I was told each time that the schedule couldn't be changed once it was posted and thus nothing could be done until they made the next schedule. Nothing was ever done about it and I eventually had to quit. There were several other employees who were in my same situation. The managers seemed extremely stressed, and perhaps as a result, treated all of the servers like this was our full time job and expected us to put LSF above everything else.

Mediocre restaurant, mediocre job

Current Employee - Server in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Server in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money isn't bad as a server. Fairly flexible, although holidays can be tough to get off.

Cons

Favoritism in scheduling, managers give their favorites a hugely unfair amount of shifts and good schedules/ sections. Sometimes people have a hard time getting scheduled more than 2-3 shifts during slow times, regardless of how long they've worked for the company. Also they are open every day of the year so expect to work holidays.

Don't play favorites so obviously. Leads to poor morale amongst staff.

Great.

I have been working at Legal Sea Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

paid vacation, great people, 50% discount on food, ability to transfer to different locations. People come to legals because of the elevated service and consistency. Restaurant managers work well with employees, creating excellent work culture.

Cons

Although family-run, Legals is very much corporate. Regional managers breath down restaurant managers' necks, causing micro-managing and neglecting bigger issues.

Give the older restaurants the same attention you would newer restaurants.

Legal Sea Foods Photos

View from the parking lot of the Legal Sea Foods' Quality Control Center and corporate headquarter office located in Boston, MA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.75)

+ Add Photo