Legal Services of New Jersey

Updated May 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Melville D Miller Jr

Great place overall to work.

ProsWonderful place to work and learn. Everyone fully supports and encourages each other, and you don't see the negative aspects (over-competition) of a typical law office.

ConsYou may not get paid as much here as you would if you went to a big firm or a corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't really think of anything negative to say here; I'm overall very satisfied with my job and really enjoy working alongside my peers.

so much potential ...loved it at first...

ProsWonderful colleagues, family oriented, compassionate CEO. The company has a great mission. Helping the less fortunate is commendable. There are many departments offering legal assistance, advice and expertise, offering resources and insight to the community. Clients receive assistance with housing, food, clothing. The company attempts to fully advocate for clients: helping with housing, food, clothing, shelter. et al

ConsThis place will give you just enough rope to hang yourself. Despite how ethically we may act toward the clients, ethics are foregone between management and staff. The better you perform, the more work you get. No increase in pay in 6 years. Multiple employees left burnt out and the rest on anti-anxiety meds. If you are overwhelmed, that is considered your problem and yours alone. No one wants to hear what your needs are, where you are lacking...the expectations placed on employees coupled with the workload is unreal and your inability to keep up is your fault

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the colleagues that you seem to regard as minions. Management is not supportive of most staff. There needs to be better training regarding the daily functions and expectations in order to make the process streamlined and work product consistent amongst employees. Rather than simply have new employees shadow the 3 employees management likes, there needs to be a training--one standard that is presented to all to understand.

It was such a good place to work, nothing lasts forever I guess......

Pros- Great mission
    - Family oriented
    - Good co-workers
    - Well established agency
    - Fairly goods benefits package - though not what it used to be.

Cons- No upward mobility
    - No financial reward
    - Low moral with no obvious intervention from management
    - High turn-over in the last two years
    - Those left are incredibly over worked due to the turn-over
    - Flagrant Favoritism / bordering on inappropriate

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees, the good ones are hurting and want to leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An amazing company that really cares about its employees and clients

ProsGreat benefits. everyone values your opinions and ideas. great work atmosphere

ConsI Cant think of any

It has been and continues to be a very rewarding experience.

ProsThey are very family oriented, they try to always make their employees feel wanted and appreciated. It is a very nice company to work for.

ConsDue to the current budget cuts there is a salary freeze. I wish we didn't depend on government grants alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer some incentives to make up for the salary freeze. Maybe increase the rate of vacation accrual, until the freeze is over.

Overworked Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan establish good contacts
    Well reputed organization
    Very flexible timings
    Good potential future employer (especially after you graduate from law school)

ConsUnpaid internship
    Not enough staff: so those left behind have to take on a lot of the work
    Inefficient: No one checking on who is actually working
    Work Atmosphere can be too informal

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on what your employees are doing during "working hours"

Worked for Legal Services of New Jersey? Contribute to the Community!