Legal & General Group

Legal & General Group Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Tim Breedon

Going downhill rapidly

Manager (Former Employee) Hove, England (UK)

ProsNice open plan offices. Good location with some on site parking. Average salary for new starters compared to similar local companies.

ConsPoor leadership, constant change, continuous redundancies over last 5 years. No internal progression. No training for management. Poor rates of bonus / pay rise verse success of company. Unclear expectations of staff. New staff being recruited but lack of honesty about job role means unhappy recruits, who are receiving below standard training for such a big, well known company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are loosing staff and have a severe lack of morale at your Hove offices caused by unclear, unfriendly management. A real shame and a total change over the last 4 years and something that is being ignored. It might be worth coming down for yourselves and asking the staff on the floor what it's really like to work there.

Fixed Term Contracts is a one way win.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFriendly atmosphere with extra curricular activity such as charity work, running and cake baking.

ConsHR advertises the job as perm and then changes it after the interview.

Working hours discriminated against woman with out children. Expecting them to work longer than those with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of expensive grade 7's that don't do much except network well and keep in with their "friends". They look after number one.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Slowness of organisation to react & lack of investment in people make this a place to move on from when times are better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsStable working hours and family friendly environment to work

ConsA good deal of rhetoric around change and advancement, however little real opportunity to do so.
    Work projects show little variation, to advance the employee.
    Quiet office and sporadic attempts by senior management to promote an atmosphere / sociability.

Advice to Senior ManagementRenumerate staff better and provide a better structure for advancement.Without this staff wil continue to leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Respect your staff and the business will grow more for you.

Pensions Administrator (Former Employee) Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

Prosyou have a Free Shares entitlement

ConsManagement need to show respect for staff and gain a better understanding of the job more.
    lack of Knowledge Transfer
    Poor salary

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the job from the ground up and respect your staff.

No progression and a rapidly hostile working environment with a feeling of no appreciation of staff

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Hove, England (UK)

ProsI worked in the Hove office and in my opinion if you were to start as a new starter now I really can't think of any. I started 3 1/2 years ago and, although there were massive gaps in the introduction to the company, I enjoyed my time there to begin with and my peers were welcoming and helpful.
    For those who wish to there is the opportunity to take courses to progress your career whether that be outside L&G or not.

ConsThere is very little chance to progress.
    Training lasted a long time but I still felt unprepared when joining the floor and it turned out that there were massive gaps.
    Challenging processes is a very hard and feels like a losing battle from the start.
    For the last year or so there has been a real atmosphere of having to fight for recognition and even for your job. So many people started to be put on different performance reviews and perfomance measures which didn't allow for people getting used to the changes in role, department, management, sampling and staff levels. This lead to people becoming over protective of their own job and real culture of backstabbing and blame.
    Recognition felt more of a guesture and was inconsistent.
    I don't say this as a rant or even from just personal experience but really as something useful to those I'm leaving behind as I know this is a shared feeling with many others on the floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff and when looking at the results of an engagement survey don't assume there are uncontrolable measures behind low scores. Ask people why and how to change it then take notice.

Put staff happiness at least somewhere towards the top of the list of priorities as it really didn't feel like it was.

Plodding along

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

ProsVery good pension and benefits, including life assurance, medical cover, sports facilities and restaurant. Good work-life balance. Work was not too demanding and there were plenty of nice people. Pretty much everyone in the company wanted to do the right thing by the customer.

ConsMy whole L&G experience, which lasted four years, was just too slow for me. The company was very unexciting, very risk averse, very process driven and generally quite a lumbering beast. Decision-making was slow and done by endless committees and working groups. Many people there were good at their job, but an equal or greater amount were very, very average and unwilling to step outside a very tight remit or think outside the box. A lot of people at L&G have been at the company a very long time. The person I replaced had never worked anywhere else, which I don't think is healthy.
    My mind just had too much spare capacity and in the end I could stand the mediocrity no longer and had to leave before I went stark raving mad. It's probably a good place for many people, to be fair, just not me. If you are a 9 to 5 person with low ambition, then this is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSilos - get rid of them. Improve technology so that people can work anywhere. Seek out and reward ambition. Stamp out mediocrity and paper pushing.

Run by beancounters

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

ProsNot expected to work over your contracted hours
    Benefits towards the top end - enhanced maternity pay
    Most people get on well with each other
    Probably much better in a business unit rather than Group
    Swimming Pool

ConsLow salaries - kingswood is not in Central London, but still need London wages to tempt those from London to work there.
    High levels of poorly managed out-sourcing
    Silo business structure with no joined up thinking
    Very antiquated IT systems, some originating from the 1960s!
    Not progressive
    Parts of HR have been out-sourced
    Can only park in the car park 4 out of 5 days per week - need to nominate a no park day
    Seen by management to be a 'lifestyle' choice to work there meaning we don't pay you much and don't expect long working hours or any chances of promotion.
    PCs with floppy disk drives!! - No real investment in IT infrastructure
    Still on MS office 2000 for most staff
    Very slow processes. Some processes are just there to justify the hierarchical management structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn paper it may look that out-sourced services to TCS have saved money. However, the reality is that very little has been achieved by them for the money that has been spent. Rather than looking at the overall cost of providing services you really need to look at outcomes as well. TCS may charge 1/2 that of a UK out-sourced provider, but with fixed budgets it means they have delivered 1/2 of what they should have as they take much longer to complete jobs than UK based out-sourced companies.
    Take a real look at some of the most innovative companies out there and try to emulate them. Rather than out-sourcing work, create projects to solve specific business problems that will be managed in house. Use more UK workers rather than Indian born ones from TCS.

The environment is generally collegial though I would not describe it as having a high achievement culture.

Fixed-Income Analyst (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsCompany enjoys a good reputation in the UK market.
    Large AuM (>£300 billion)

ConsThe culture is passive and a lot of inertia to bring about progress and change.
    They do not invest much into staff - whether it be financially or career development.

It's a place you and go work if you are ready to retire.

Financial Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat work life balance, generally friendly people in the company, receive performance shares when the company does well, great london location.

ConsLow wages, limited career progression, favourites are promoted, too many people in the company and everyone does their little bit of the process so it becomes boring very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is never any budget for training, those who are considered the favourites in the team are promoted which demotivates people to do well. It's considered a place where you go once you have given-up on your ambitions and want to relax and not work so hard.

Challenging - both positively and negatively

Team Manager (Current Employee) Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility, benefits to employees, opportunity for development, opportunity to change roles within the group, companies social responsibilities, comfortable office environment and canteen facilities

ConsWell known lack of investment in IT equipment, systems and IT support, general lack of commercial nationwide advertising, business strategy direction, launch of new products without administrative procedures and team in place, lack of adequate resource in key areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff, acknowledge staff know the difference between management sincerity and management lip service

Worked for Legal & General Group? Contribute to the Community!