Legal & General Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Breedon

Plodding along

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good pension and benefits, including life assurance, medical cover, sports facilities and restaurant. Good work-life balance. Work was not too demanding and there were plenty of nice people. Pretty much everyone in the company wanted to do the right thing by the customer.

ConsMy whole L&G experience, which lasted four years, was just too slow for me. The company was very unexciting, very risk averse, very process driven and generally quite a lumbering beast. Decision-making was slow and done by endless committees and working groups. Many people there were good at their job, but an equal or greater amount were very, very average and unwilling to step outside a very tight remit or think outside the box. A lot of people at L&G have been at the company a very long time. The person I replaced had never worked anywhere else, which I don't think is healthy.
My mind just had too much spare capacity and in the end I could stand the mediocrity no longer and had to leave before I went stark raving mad. It's probably a good place for many people, to be fair, just not me. If you are a 9 to 5 person with low ambition, then this is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSilos - get rid of them. Improve technology so that people can work anywhere. Seek out and reward ambition. Stamp out mediocrity and paper pushing.

An all-around good firm. Good team environment. I think the management might improve upon providing feedback more.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Legal & General Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsSolid pay and benefits. Friendly co-workers. Good work/life balance.

ConsWork can be demanding. Not enough personal growth. Need more continual feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide constant feedback.

Fixed Term Contracts is a one way win.

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly atmosphere with extra curricular activity such as charity work, running and cake baking.

ConsHR advertises the job as perm and then changes it after the interview.

Working hours discriminated against woman with out children. Expecting them to work longer than those with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of expensive grade 7's that don't do much except network well and keep in with their "friends". They look after number one.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Collegiate environment and family friendly

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee)
Kingswood, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked in the Kingswood office and valued the out of London location. Great work/life balance (gym, yoga, running and football on site and flexible hours), happy and clever colleagues, excellent cafeteria and resources. The company was very supportive of study and professional development.

ConsSomewhat sleepy village, no opportunities to network outside the company. Team based culture which I personally liked but it does make it more difficult for individuals to stand out.

Allowed me to build my career and take necessary courses/qualifications to suit business needs

Business Trainer (Former Employee)
Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, development opportunities . Worked as telesales, quality and business trainer. Learnt a lot about regulation in financial services and training. Reasonable working hours.

ConsProgression and wage increases massively reduced dying the downturn in the economy and restricted development opportunities creating repeat work with very little recognition or reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanged since I worked here.

Privileged to have been a part of such a great company, highly recommendable.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
Hove, England (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLovely colleagues, professional environment and good working hours.

ConsThe work manager tracking system can get a bit tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on individuals as a whole would be beneficial.

Great experience great people and culture

Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Legal & General Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsHuge company, good culture, helpful people

Conscant think of anything now

A great company

Compliance Adviser (Former Employee)
Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood opportunities within a large firm.

ConsSometimes impersonal due to size of the firm.

Great opportunity

Frederick, MD

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbeautiful building, indoor gym, great pay, personal space, you can get certification at your own pace with no pressure.

ConsDifficult to move to a different department if you want to move up in the company or even make a change. Training is highly lacking. Some departments have DOS systems and you work using function keys and black/green screens. Supervisors are not all certified ! but they can run a department? Employees know more than the supervisors and are certified.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for better computer systems instead of ice cream days. Have the managers take all the LOMA classes for there job and get certified.

Good place to work - but can be frustrating.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people, generally good atmosphere, good customer culture. Work life balance is pretty good - people are not expected to work long hours. Benefits package is generous.

ConsFrustratingly slow decision making. Recent change in CEO means change in direction and strategy that is not clear. Some areas are under-resourced.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy, stick with it, communicate it clearly and listen to your employees feedback. Upgrade IT systems.

Worked for Legal & General Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Legal & General Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Legal & General Group CEO Tim Breedon. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Legal & General Group employees.