Legal & General Group

Legal & General Group Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Tim Breedon

Going downhill rapidly

Manager (Former Employee) Hove, England (UK)

ProsNice open plan offices. Good location with some on site parking. Average salary for new starters compared to similar local companies.

ConsPoor leadership, constant change, continuous redundancies over last 5 years. No internal progression. No training for management. Poor rates of bonus / pay rise verse success of company. Unclear expectations of staff. New staff being recruited but lack of honesty about job role means unhappy recruits, who are receiving below standard training for such a big, well known company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are loosing staff and have a severe lack of morale at your Hove offices caused by unclear, unfriendly management. A real shame and a total change over the last 4 years and something that is being ignored. It might be worth coming down for yourselves and asking the staff on the floor what it's really like to work there.

Plodding along

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

ProsVery good pension and benefits, including life assurance, medical cover, sports facilities and restaurant. Good work-life balance. Work was not too demanding and there were plenty of nice people. Pretty much everyone in the company wanted to do the right thing by the customer.

ConsMy whole L&G experience, which lasted four years, was just too slow for me. The company was very unexciting, very risk averse, very process driven and generally quite a lumbering beast. Decision-making was slow and done by endless committees and working groups. Many people there were good at their job, but an equal or greater amount were very, very average and unwilling to step outside a very tight remit or think outside the box. A lot of people at L&G have been at the company a very long time. The person I replaced had never worked anywhere else, which I don't think is healthy.
    My mind just had too much spare capacity and in the end I could stand the mediocrity no longer and had to leave before I went stark raving mad. It's probably a good place for many people, to be fair, just not me. If you are a 9 to 5 person with low ambition, then this is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSilos - get rid of them. Improve technology so that people can work anywhere. Seek out and reward ambition. Stamp out mediocrity and paper pushing.

Fixed Term Contracts is a one way win.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFriendly atmosphere with extra curricular activity such as charity work, running and cake baking.

ConsHR advertises the job as perm and then changes it after the interview.

Working hours discriminated against woman with out children. Expecting them to work longer than those with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of expensive grade 7's that don't do much except network well and keep in with their "friends". They look after number one.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Collegiate environment and family friendly

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) Kingswood, South West England, England (UK)

ProsI worked in the Kingswood office and valued the out of London location. Great work/life balance (gym, yoga, running and football on site and flexible hours), happy and clever colleagues, excellent cafeteria and resources. The company was very supportive of study and professional development.

ConsSomewhat sleepy village, no opportunities to network outside the company. Team based culture which I personally liked but it does make it more difficult for individuals to stand out.

Privileged to have been a part of such a great company, highly recommendable.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Hove, England (UK)

ProsLovely colleagues, professional environment and good working hours.

ConsThe work manager tracking system can get a bit tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on individuals as a whole would be beneficial.

Allowed me to build my career and take necessary courses/qualifications to suit business needs

Business Trainer (Former Employee) Cardiff, Wales (UK)

ProsGood benefits, development opportunities . Worked as telesales, quality and business trainer. Learnt a lot about regulation in financial services and training. Reasonable working hours.

ConsProgression and wage increases massively reduced dying the downturn in the economy and restricted development opportunities creating repeat work with very little recognition or reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanged since I worked here.

Great experience great people and culture

Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHuge company, good culture, helpful people

Conscant think of anything now

A great company

Compliance Adviser (Former Employee) Cardiff, Wales (UK)

ProsGood opportunities within a large firm.

ConsSometimes impersonal due to size of the firm.

Good place to work - but can be frustrating.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood people, generally good atmosphere, good customer culture. Work life balance is pretty good - people are not expected to work long hours. Benefits package is generous.

ConsFrustratingly slow decision making. Recent change in CEO means change in direction and strategy that is not clear. Some areas are under-resourced.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy, stick with it, communicate it clearly and listen to your employees feedback. Upgrade IT systems.

Good benefits, but disappointing recognition of development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGood benefits and opportunities/encouragement to develop/cross-train.

ConsLittle room for progression, particularly within one's own department or team. Similarly, although bonus is related to job performance, base salary doesn't reflect performance, knowledge, skills or development. Once you start on a salary, you're pretty much stuck with it unless you manage to get a promotion and step up a grade.

Worked for Legal & General Group? Contribute to the Community!