Legal & General Group

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014

3.3

Tim Breedon

Challenging - both positively and negatively

Current Employee - Team Manager  in  Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, benefits to employees, opportunity for development, opportunity to change roles within the group, companies social responsibilities, comfortable office environment and canteen facilities

Cons

Well known lack of investment in IT equipment, systems and IT support, general lack of commercial nationwide advertising, business strategy direction, launch of new products without administrative procedures and team in place, lack of adequate resource in key areas.

Listen to staff, acknowledge staff know the difference between management sincerity and management lip service

Going downhill rapidly

Former Employee - Manager  in  Hove, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Hove, England (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice open plan offices. Good location with some on site parking. Average salary for new starters compared to similar local companies.

Cons

Poor leadership, constant change, continuous redundancies over last 5 years. No internal progression. No training for management. Poor rates of bonus / pay rise verse success of company. Unclear expectations of staff. New staff being recruited but lack of honesty about job role means unhappy recruits, who are receiving below standard training for such a big, well known company.

You are loosing staff and have a severe lack of morale at your Hove offices caused by unclear, unfriendly management. A real shame and a total change over the last 4 years and something that is being ignored. It might be worth coming down for yourselves and asking the staff on the floor what it's really like to work there.

Plodding along

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good pension and benefits, including life assurance, medical cover, sports facilities and restaurant. Good work-life balance. Work was not too demanding and there were plenty of nice people. Pretty much everyone in the company wanted to do the right thing by the customer.

Cons

My whole L&G experience, which lasted four years, was just too slow for me. The company was very unexciting, very risk averse, very process driven and generally quite a lumbering beast. Decision-making was slow and done by endless committees and working groups. Many people there were good at their job, but an equal or greater amount were very, very average and unwilling to step outside a very tight remit or think outside the box. A lot of people at L&G have been at the company a very long time. The person I replaced had never worked anywhere else, which I don't think is healthy.
    My mind just had too much spare capacity and in the end I could stand the mediocrity no longer and had to leave before I went stark raving mad. It's probably a good place for many people, to be fair, just not me. If you are a 9 to 5 person with low ambition, then this is the perfect place for you.

Silos - get rid of them. Improve technology so that people can work anywhere. Seek out and reward ambition. Stamp out mediocrity and paper pushing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fixed Term Contracts is a one way win.

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere with extra curricular activity such as charity work, running and cake baking.

Cons

HR advertises the job as perm and then changes it after the interview.

Working hours discriminated against woman with out children. Expecting them to work longer than those with.

Lots of expensive grade 7's that don't do much except network well and keep in with their "friends". They look after number one.

Collegiate environment and family friendly

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst  in  Kingswood, South West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Kingswood, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the Kingswood office and valued the out of London location. Great work/life balance (gym, yoga, running and football on site and flexible hours), happy and clever colleagues, excellent cafeteria and resources. The company was very supportive of study and professional development.

Cons

Somewhat sleepy village, no opportunities to network outside the company. Team based culture which I personally liked but it does make it more difficult for individuals to stand out.

Privileged to have been a part of such a great company, highly recommendable.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Hove, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Hove, England (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely colleagues, professional environment and good working hours.

Cons

The work manager tracking system can get a bit tedious.

More focus on individuals as a whole would be beneficial.

Allowed me to build my career and take necessary courses/qualifications to suit business needs

Former Employee - Business Trainer  in  Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Trainer in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, development opportunities . Worked as telesales, quality and business trainer. Learnt a lot about regulation in financial services and training. Reasonable working hours.

Cons

Progression and wage increases massively reduced dying the downturn in the economy and restricted development opportunities creating repeat work with very little recognition or reward.

Changed since I worked here.

Great experience great people and culture

Current Employee - Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Legal & General Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Huge company, good culture, helpful people

Cons

cant think of anything now

A great company

Former Employee - Compliance Adviser  in  Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Compliance Adviser in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good opportunities within a large firm.

Cons

Sometimes impersonal due to size of the firm.

Good place to work - but can be frustrating.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, generally good atmosphere, good customer culture. Work life balance is pretty good - people are not expected to work long hours. Benefits package is generous.

Cons

Frustratingly slow decision making. Recent change in CEO means change in direction and strategy that is not clear. Some areas are under-resourced.

Pick a strategy, stick with it, communicate it clearly and listen to your employees feedback. Upgrade IT systems.

Worked for Legal & General Group? Contribute to the Community!