LegalForce RAPC Worldwide Reviews

1. Awesome Innovative place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time

Pros

First, this is one of the most innovative law firms in the world. The CEO will try anything and I mean anything to make the legal profession better. Some of his ideas are wacky unprofitable and get shut down. Some of his ideas are wacky and crazy profitable. Wile I have great things to say about the vision of the CEO. Nothing would happen without the awesome people there. We have some really good people who are really good at what they do. The firm really has a family/start up feel to it yes it is a law firm but it feels like a tech start up. I will include the international teams in the Pros section, the India, EU and China teams. Trademarks, patents must be prosecuted internationally and you need international people to make that work. Having a presence in 4 of the top 5 economies in the world allows us to better service the clients.

Cons

Well... the other reviews are correct the pay sucks, no benefits, none zero the big nothing, if you get sick just pray because you will be paying out of pocket to go to a doctors office. However, that has more to do with the job market for attorneys/legal assistants with less than 5 years experience than the culture of the company. They will give some one with a newly minted law license a chance. No one else will. However, for people with 3+ years of experience they do pay quite well. In conclusion, yea you have to pay your dues for a few years, but work hard for 3 years or so and you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you had a clear promotion, pay increase strategy for the employees. The policy is pay your dues and you will be rewarded it would nice if you actually articulated that. Would a $100.00 HMO per employee really break the bank? Or better yet just offer health insurance and contribute nothing. Employees can say they have health insurance and it costs you nothing. I think people complaining about pay are really talking about lack of benefits.

2. Innovative and forward thinking law firm

Current Employee - Trademark Attorney in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Trademark Attorney in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, great learning opportunities for new trademark attorneys and assistants. Great stepping stone to future big law opportunities, many assistants and attorneys have significantly advanced their careers through their experience at LegalForce. Improving HR and benefits over the last few years.

Cons

High volume, fast paced work. Extensive client interaction sometimes makes it difficult to focus on tasks.

Advice to Management

Higher new assistants to help attorneys continue to focus on higher level tasks.

Paralegal

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide

Pros

LegalForce is a fun place to work. Very professional and meticulous staff, great teamwork and respect among employees, and great general ambition improve the quality of work even better. The CEO is an amazing guy with tons of ideas. He never acts superior and is always ready to support you if you have an idea to work on, because he believes in each one of his employees' ability to achieve their biggest dreams. The CEO and most of the management team are very respectful of their staff and clients. Staff have great autonomy and flexible schedule while keeping the good teamwork to deliver good services. They are always happy to teach you more if you are willing to learn. Hence, an ambitious person will get tons of experience here.

Cons

There is room for their system to improve and deliver services even more efficiently.

Patent Support Specialist

Former Employee - Patent Support Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Patent Support Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will get out at least as much as you put in. I joined LegalForce directly out of undergrad and was able to do meaningful work from day one. As long as you are willing to take advantage of the many opportunities this company has to offer and seek out work that challenges and interests you, there is no limit to what you will learn and accomplish. Raj and the other attorneys went out of their way to provide training and were more than happy to lend a hand when it came to professional and personal matters. If you are interested in intellectual property, are looking to do substantive work, and wish to learn from knowledgable patent attorneys, there are few better opportunities than LegalForce. The staff is perhaps the best thing about LegalForce. From management to the newer employees, everyone was extremely kind, fun, and helpful. Whether in the office, on the weekend, or on a company outing to a Giants game, LegalForce employees make this an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

LegalForce is a fast paced environment. This means that you are often required to learn and adapt quickly. You will be pushed at times, but your co-workers and superiors will be ready to provide the support and guidance that is needed.

Advice to Management

It would have been helpful if the patent team had been centralized at a single location as the trademark team is now.

Executive and Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to work if you don’t have a lot of prior work experience (I had zero legal work experience prior to joining this company), which is a rarity in the Silicon Valley: Raj, the CEO and Managing Partner, will give you a chance. A positive, determined, and proactive person with the word 'no' deleted from their vocabulary can gain a lot from this place. I was constantly exposed to real and substantive legal work, and given opportunities to help out/shadow the attorneys, uncommon traits for an Executive/Legal Assistant. LegalForce is a small company with a start up vibe so many people have to chip in and do various different tasks, a skill that will help you down the line. You will be surrounded by kind, helpful coworkers, and will gain some long lasting friendships and professional connections. When I started there were not many benefits, but by the time I left there was health insurance and 401k/retirement options; no company is perfect, and this one is continuously trying to improve itself.

Cons

I didn't get very much formal training which is good and bad. Good because you’ll have to think on your feet and quickly figure things out on your own (an invaluable skill) or who are the right people to ask the right questions. Bad if you don’t eventually pick things up in the end. Fast work pace but that’s to be expected in the legal profession.

Advice to Management

Continue the team building exercises, they were very helpful and fun!

Moving in the right direction

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide

Pros

Innovative platform for trademark prosecution offering low-cost service for clients; hardworing and committed staff; relaxed office environment apart from press of work; maturing business model with more emphasis on human resources and firm management than before

Cons

Pay and benefits could use a boost to attract and keep talent; build an informed staff into further innovations

Advice to Management

Maintain attention on management and personnel needs during perpetuation and growth of low-cost trademark services for clients

Associate Attorney

Former Employee - Associate Counsel in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Counsel in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn a lot and are allowed to work autonomously. You are given the opportunity to counsel clients on a daily basis which is not the case in most law firms. You can work at your own pace, and billable hours, although required, do not effect your employment status if below the required amount. Awesome co-workers and all and all a great experience. There are many bad reviews, but I think they are due to personal issues those individuals had with the CEO and also a result of the company having been fairly new at the time. If you are smart and willing to work hard, you can become a seasoned attorney in less than two years. LF is especially great for legal assistants, because they are not required or asked to do administrative tasks, rather, they are in the trenches with their assigned attorney(s) talking to clients to help resolve their legal issues. After two years, most assistants are able to get positions at large law firms in Silicon Valley. This is not a traditional law firm, it has a start up environment, which means that you can be casual, joke around, have fun, and make it your own place. Best of all, you are allowed to make mistakes.

Cons

Pay is below industry standard, but it is substituted with education and really learning how to be an attorney and/or assistant. Lack of senior counsel for support. Lack of research resources, you will have to be savvy at google searches to update yourself at the law.

Advice to Management

More resources for your attorneys.

Great Opportunity & Experience

Former Employee - Registered In-House Counsel in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Registered In-House Counsel in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Great opportunity to prove yourself + rise in rank (other firms may not share/promote as much) -Responsibility to work with clients (other firms may insulate associates more from clients) -Ability for associates to implement improvements (for good suggestions) -Great camaraderie among the associates and among the staff -Very positive environment

Cons

--Could use a workout room --More team building events

Advice to Management

--Build more cohesiveness with the team --Establish leadership within associates for training, outreach events, pro bono, etc.

10. Awesome opportunity to learn IP law

Former Employee - Apprentice in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Apprentice in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--LegalForce provided me an invaluable opportunity that very few law firms will offer - the chance to apprentice in intellectual property law in order to shift my law practice toward IP issues. As a mid-level attorney with some (but not deep) IP experience, I could not have been hired at a traditional IP law firm (too expensive to be hired as a junior attorney, but without the deep experience needed to be hired as a mid-level IP attorney). LegalForce gave me a chance to gain marketable skills in trademark, patent, and copyright law. I've been able to turn these skills into significant paying client engagements in my own practice. --The firm offers significant training opportunities. We had training sessions led by LegalForce attorneys on trademark, patent, and copyright filing and prosecution. Especially interesting was the opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of patent prosecution by taking the lead on drafting an actual patent application (with supervision from licensed patent attorneys). I filed dozens of trademarks during my time at the firm. I also learned about trademark infringement through training and representing clients in the cease and desist letter process and in federal litigation relating to trademark and copyright infringement. --The founder, Raj Abhyanker, is one of only a handful of highly successful legal + tech entrepreneurs in the country, on par with the founders of LegalZoom, RocketLawyer, and similar companies. In a few short years he built one of the (if not the) largest trademark law firms in the United States by leveraging technology through Trademarkia. If you're interested in learning about new business models in legal, especially around technology, this is a rare opportunity to learn from a true pioneer in the space. Raj also sincerely cares about the people who work with him and will go out of his way to help them achieve their career goals. He's extremely transparent about what he expects and will empower you to excel at the firm if you put in the effort.

Cons

LegalForce is not a "traditional" law firm. Although you will have the same training as (probably better than) lawyers in Amlaw 100 firms, the culture here is more entrepreneurial than a traditional law firm. You will have opportunities to take on more work and be rewarded with more responsibility if you work hard and seek out opportunities to add value. But if you're looking for that traditional Amlaw 100 mahogany office culture with lockstep advancement, expensive summer associate lunches, etc., this may not be the best fit for you. In my opinion, some of the less-than-stellar reviews by former employees are due to the fact that they weren't a great fit for this kind of company culture. Of course, the hours at LegalForce are better than the hours at big law firms. And I've seen lawyers leverage their experience at LegalForce into associate positions at very successful traditional IP law firms in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Keep emphasizing training opportunities to attorneys. Could probably appeal to many attorneys with clearer policies on what will lead to advancement on a year-by-year basis.

Efforts are recognized and rewarded!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Bangalore office of LegalForce as a Business Analyst from December 2010 to August 2013. My growth, knowledge and experience gained here is tremendous. Your hard work is recognized and rewarded by the management. My reporting manger Clifford based out of the US office, Jolly Mathew - Global Operations Manager and Abhishek Sharma - Managing Partner(India) have been approachable and supportive at all times. They are open to feedback and hear out to their employees. There is work life balance while working here. The management encourages their employees to take up leadership and make best use of the opportunities available.

Cons

There was less team activity previously.

RSS Feed </> Embed