LegalForce RAPC Worldwide

LegalForce RAPC Worldwide Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Raj V. Abhyanker

Good starting point

Client Relations/Trademark Attorney (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone is friendly and works hard. Everyone is willing to share information, teach and help out with any problems. The business is growing.

ConsThere is a lack of organization and the work is very high volume. At time it felt like the business was coming before the clients. There is not much in the way of perks.

Awesome staff

Attorney (Former Employee)

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time

ProsDespite all of the previous bad reviews, I actually had a fun time working here. LF has a great work environment with friendly and supportive staff members. You could ask questions to any staff at anytime. Everyone has been extremely helpful and supportive. I love working with clients, so I've always had a great time chatting and consulting with clients as well. They also appreciate the personal attention.

The staff also have a few foosball matches once in a while at the office to have fun. Most go out for lunch together on a daily basis and organize happy hour at least once a month.

ConsIf salary is your number one concern, then this is not the work place for you. If you want to obtain a lot of IP experience quickly and have the freedom to explore all types of IP, then this place is for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to pay more attention to the support staff in Tempe and Mountain View, and provide continuous training. These are the frontline staff that come in contact with the clients everyday, and as far as most clients are concerned, they are the image for LF.

Worst place to work in this entire universe

Patent Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is nothing good about this company.

ConsThere are many. The company has no scope of growth. There are different kind of rules for different employees. Some of the employees are given permission to work from home for as long as three weeks and the rest are just asked to leave the company if asked for a leave or WFH. The people in the management team are least concerned about the employees. There are just 4 or 5 people working in the Bangalore office and still there is a haphazard management. There is no HR and the people concerned don't even know the day of your joining. It is like the employees running the office. The company doesn't even have enough money to buy the basic necessities required in the office, forget about giving you any salary hike, and when its the time for salary hike, they either fire you or tell that your work is not good. There are no perks at all. All the money infact goes into the pockets of the people in the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe partner of the Bangalore office hardly comes to the office and still might be getting petrol allowances every month in the name of attending a meeting with a client. In 3-4 months, once did we get to see his face. In order to avoid the Bangalore traffic, he always works from home, is the statement made by him. I have seen the CEO's and other people in higher positions everyday coming to the office, despite of them staying at the other corner of Bangalore. The people in the management in the Bangalore office are the worst kind of human beings I have ever seen. Though its been many years this company has been established, still it has not reached its desired goal and will never reach because it has no capacity of growth. For the hiring purpose they have kept such kind of people who don't even have the knowledge themselves of the specific field. I never understood their concept of hiring people with no good technical language or skills just because they are ready to work at lower payscale. Seriously, this is the worst company on this earth, infact the whole universe and I am glad that I left it because working there is nothing but just a waste of time.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

STAY FAR AWAY

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time

ProsThere are none. The place is doomed to fail.

ConsJust read all of the other reviews and you'll get a picture of what kind of person Raj Abhyanker is. Egotistical, irresponsible, man-child, delusional, UNETHICAL, are just a few ways you can describe Raj. This man puts on a good show and will con you into believing how he's always on the cutting edge of law and close to "revolutionizing" the business. However, whenever his business ventures fail, he will find a way to blame it on his employees - either by implementing ridiculous new policies or firing people. There used to be a running joke in the office about how he would hire groups of people every three months only to fire them all a few months later. Sadly, it's more reality than a joke. The "inactive employees" list is THREE times as long as the active list. What does that tell you? Do you really believe that every single person that has left or been terminated has been incompetent as Raj would have you believe? Just look at what the common denominator is here. Even worse, Raj doesn't have the courage to fire employees face to face. He always does it through email or have his "Operations Manager" do it for him. The man is a coward and of extremely low moral character.

There are literally no positives to this place. The pay is low, the benefits are laughable, the pay is never on time (which is illegal by the way), and worst of all you have to put up with a raving lunatic as your boss. One of the reviews nailed it on the head - Raj's whole scheme is to continually hire inexperienced people so they will work for cheap and not question the way he does things. Then once they start complaining, it's time to ax them and move on to the next group of victims. The actual work product makes no difference to Raj. It's all about the cheap labor - like the team he uses in India to file his trademarks. Please do yourself a favor and look somewhere else for employment. It is not worth your sanity or dignity for a few months of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery company has a weak link. It just turns out the CEO is the weak link here. Raj will be the end of his own firm. Make sure you're not on the ship when it goes down.

Unorganized and Incompetent

I have been working at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide

Pros1) Free coffee at the Palo Alto store, 2) if you like orange, you will get a lot of that, 3) the trademark team is pretty cool

Cons1) the firm is run by a man who I believe did not intend to honor most of what he promised in my employment agreement, 2) you are either stuck in the basement of a store or you sit in shared offices in a 1970's era office building, 3) nobody seems to stay for more than a few months before either getting fired or getting the hell out as fast as they can, 4) there is near daily drama, which seems to be mostly caused by the person who runs the firm. If you are going to work here, then the only reason you would even give this place a millisecond of your time is because you cannot find a job anywhere. You will have more satisfaction working at Walmart than here.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat advice? How about start over and do it without Raj?

Disillusioned Partner with no Conscience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time

ProsYou can set your own schedule, have autonomy and direct client contact.

ConsRaj is largely hands off since he is more inclined to pursue terrible business ideas (a creperie, a legal store, etc) rather than spend time practicing law. It is a disservice to clients when the partner uses his one asset, which is salesmanship, to engage clients and then have others do the work with little to no review. And when I say others, it is not experienced attorneys, but rather brand new people who have little to no experience with patents, such as people fresh from undergrad or people abroad with no formal legal training. Clients are led to believe that someone with substantial legal experience and credentials will be working on their case, when in reality it is usually these people with little to no knowledge of patent law.

Raj has little to no conscience. Due to his salesmanship, you may be under the impression that he is a good person to learn from and get good legal experience. You may believe that LegalForce is somewhere that you can start a career and be at for the long term. This is all an illusion that Raj creates in order to trick inexperienced people into working for cheap until they become too expensive, at which point they get fired. The basic operating procedure for the firm is to bring fresh, inexperienced people who will work for breadcrumbs, have them crank out as much work at whatever quality they can produce, and then fire them in favor of less experienced people. There have been multiple cycles of this in LegalForce’s history, and it is appalling.

Raj considers his employees to be the equivalent of farm animals that can be bought and then slaughtered (fired) without any humanity. He does not care if you are passionate about the field of law, if you produce good work, or if you are a great team member. He cares about dollars. He’s running a business, so caring about dollars is fair, but he has no business sense or long term vision. This results in the constant shuffling of people to keep costs down rather than building a team that is cohesive and efficient. The moment Raj realizes that he can get paid by using cheaper labor, you are done. He does not care if the cheaper labor produces subpar work product. All that matter is that it is good enough for the client to pay. And if he can bring in enough unsophisticated clients who don’t know what constitutes a good patent, then the cheap labor is good enough for him.

It is not isolated incidents or a person here or there. Raj cleans house on a whim. There have been two separate occasions that I’m aware of where he has fired essentially all the patent staff (attorneys, agents, apprentices) at once. Nobody had been there for a full year the whole time I was there. He fired people who had just been hired a month or two prior. This was not because they were producing work product below his standards. This was because he found out that there was a way for him to get paid for cheaper labor costs.

Raj will not teach you or guide you. Raj will only provide baseless, useless comments because he will not actually read what you wrote. He will take zero time to learn what the technology is or what your rationale is for what you wrote. In fact, he won’t even read the substantive portions. He will instead pretend he has read it and provide generalized, stylistic advice that has nothing to do with the substantive portions of the patent. Thus, the only way to learn is to teach yourself. You can do cases on your own, read treatises, etc. but if you are expecting mentorship, look elsewhere.

So what does Raj spend his time on? Terrible business ventures. The latest one is the LegalForce store in Palo Alto. This is an ill-conceived idea that has lost him almost a million dollars in under a year. Raj will spin it as an innovative, transformative idea that is going to break barriers and change the way the legal industry operates. The reality is, however, that nobody is going to walk down University Ave and agree to substantial legal work. Imagine what it costs to operate a store on University Ave, and then think about what kind of shopper would pass buy and seek legal advice. The answer is nobody with a real need for legal services. LegalForce is supposed to be primarily a patent and trademark firm. No inventor or business owner in their right mind would go to this kind of operation, especially inventors who are ready to commit to a $10,000 patent. This idea was doomed from the start, and is pretty much bleeding the firm dry of what little money it has.

LegalForce is a terrible place to work because you learn nothing, you get paid essentially nothing, and you have no job security. It is only a place you would work if you had no other options. Even then, the frustration may not make it worthwhile. And it will never get better. Raj is who he is, and he will not change. He is like a snake oil salesman. It may sound great, but the reality is the whole operation is tricking clients into paying for legal work done by people with no legal training.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone who knows how to run a business, preferably someone with a modicum of humanity. This firm sorely needs a leader with business sense and regard for their employees.

Efforts are recognized and rewarded!

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked in the Bangalore office of LegalForce as a Business Analyst from December 2010 to August 2013. My growth, knowledge and experience gained here is tremendous. Your hard work is recognized and rewarded by the management.

My reporting manger Clifford based out of the US office, Jolly Mathew - Global Operations Manager and Abhishek Sharma - Managing Partner(India) have been approachable and supportive at all times. They are open to feedback and hear out to their employees. There is work life balance while working here. The management encourages their employees to take up leadership and make best use of the opportunities available.

ConsThere was less team activity previously.

Style over substance....Raj (founder and manager) is a manic egomaniac that is clueless on how to be a manager.

Attorney (Current Employee)

I have been working at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally, the attempt to make legal services more accessible to the general public is a good one.

ConsRaj views each client or employee as a victim that should be used until all of their blood (money) has been sucked out of them. The entire operation is a scam. The trademark scam works by enticing clients to file with a low introductory rate and not disclosing the huge fees they will have to pay later in more than half of the cases. DON'T JUST READ THIS REVIEW, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH TO FIND OUT HOW RAJ'S SCAMS WORK. The patent scam works by outsourcing all of the work to employees in India that is in breach of the ethical rules for practicing law. BEWARE. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS FIRM!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRaj needs to stop doing everything to feed his own ego and to stop saying anything to get attention for himself. Instead, Raj should either hire a professional manager to run the firm or close it down before he gets sued for malpractice.

Attorney/Staff

Part of the Team (Current Employee)

I have been working at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time for more than a year

ProsGood access to Palo Alto and Mountain View restaurants.

ConsMismanaged "law firm" run by someone who seems disconnected from reality; no resources; no support; bad pay; no benefits; you will be fired after a few months on the job; unhappy employees who spend more time sending resumes than doing their job; new ideas that get scrapped a few days later. Better to sell lemonade on a corner than work here.

Advice to Senior Managementwhere would I begin?

Awesome Innovative place to work

I have been working at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide full-time

ProsFirst, this is one of the most innovative law firms in the world. The CEO will try anything and I mean anything to make the legal profession better. Some of his ideas are wacky unprofitable and get shut down. Some of his ideas are wacky and crazy profitable. Wile I have great things to say about the vision of the CEO. Nothing would happen without the awesome people there. We have some really good people who are really good at what they do. The firm really has a family/start up feel to it yes it is a law firm but it feels like a tech start up.

I will include the international teams in the Pros section, the India, EU and China teams. Trademarks, patents must be prosecuted internationally and you need international people to make that work. Having a presence in 4 of the top 5 economies in the world allows us to better service the clients.

ConsWell... the other reviews are correct the pay sucks, no benefits, none zero the big nothing, if you get sick just pray because you will be paying out of pocket to go to a doctors office.
However, that has more to do with the job market for attorneys/legal assistants with less than 5 years experience than the culture of the company. They will give some one with a newly minted law license a chance. No one else will. However, for people with 3+ years of experience they do pay quite well. In conclusion, yea you have to pay your dues for a few years, but work hard for 3 years or so and you will be rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if you had a clear promotion, pay increase strategy for the employees. The policy is pay your dues and you will be rewarded it would nice if you actually articulated that.

Would a $100.00 HMO per employee really break the bank? Or better yet just offer health insurance and contribute nothing. Employees can say they have health insurance and it costs you nothing. I think people complaining about pay are really talking about lack of benefits.

Worked for LegalForce RAPC Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LegalForce RAPC Worldwide reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LegalForce RAPC Worldwide CEO Raj V. Abhyanker. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by LegalForce RAPC Worldwide employees.