LegalMatch

Updated December 18, 2014
2.7

Laurie Ziffrin

Legal content development

I have been working at LegalMatch

Pros

Very flexible and comfortable company to work at. Management and staff are Helpful and always trying to help.

Cons

Pay and salary increases or ability to move up within role

Only because I couldn't give it 0 stars

Current Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee, snacks, some friendly people. Good parking. Good cafe. Flexible schedule, helps u take care of personal issues.

Cons

Unethical behavior, management gets drunk in the middle of the day. Management does not take care of their people.

Learn how to actually train people instead of feed them to the wolves.

Worked here during law school for free and it was worthless for my resume

I worked at LegalMatch as an intern

Pros

Weekly basketball games - unless you go against your boss who whines like a little girl after fouling you all the time, trying to exert his authority over you in front of the rest of the company.

Cons

No pay or little pay.
    All the power given to the top people who work lower people to the bone.
    Stupid company - can't believe they are still in business.
    Lame firm culture.

Great work environment and ability to earn a living

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalMatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management and people to work with are great. More laid back then most sales organizations so you can be more relaxed and creative. Just like everything you have to work hard and get out what you put into it. An opportunity for individuals in any stage of their sales career.

Cons

If you are use to hand holding or someone constantly monitoring you to stay motivated this is not for you. Ability to relearn the sales process to more consultant selling may be challenging to some.

Challenging and rewarding work, albeit "not for everyone."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Reno, NV

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding people within a supportive and vibrant culture focused on doing (believe it or not) only good business. Employees can do extremely well here, but not if they expect success to simply fall into their laps. Like anything else, there is no substitute for hard work and dedication. The business model itself is brilliant, and it's always gratifying to find an exceptional attorney, arm him/her with the knowledge it takes to flourish within our network, and then watch as he/she goes on to help so many people in the course of growing his/her business with us.

Cons

Absurdly disproportionate "bad press" online, and truly because our thousands of satisfied member attorneys almost never blog about their successes (much like our employees seldom do). So it goes with virtually all companies these days, but it's still frustrating whenever you KNOW you've found an attorney who's a perfect fit for our program and then he/she reads something purely negative online that spoils an otherwise mutually beneficial business relationship.

Work on our online reputation. Maintain the company's renewed focus on positive reinforcements and motivation, and particularly with our most dedicated, talented, and loyal personnel. This company is reasonably "successful," but with the right people in place we can take a serious quantum leap.

Great place to work - lots of ongoing training and support.

Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Henderson, NV

I worked at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great money. Flexible hours. Managers rock!

Cons

Presentation is 100% on the phone - no visuals.

Stay who you are :)

The future looks better

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been on the floor for less than a year selling a fairly unique attorney/client matching service that helps to increase revenue for attorneys. It seems to be a proven model and an effective tool for Attorney members to acquire more clients. Most attorneys are not business savvy so you do have to establish value and ROI. Attorneys are frugal! The company has a good 15 year history of Attorneys subscribing to this system. We have a high Attorney retention rate which speaks to the system. More importantly, most sales reps (membership recruiting managers) are closing deals and the company is growing. The bonus structure offers no incentive until you hit the first tier. Once you exceed the first tier for new monthly revenue, the bonuses are rewarding. I would guesstimate that 50+% of the reps are hitting/exceeding. A flat percentage % commission plan would be great rather than bonuses (especially for the smaller deals that take just as much effort to close with no incentive).
    Reps are expected to make 60 calls a day, send lots of emails and set up product demos daily. The company has a report card for this matrix with high expectations. If you’re a professional, consider the weekly report a mechanism for personal improvement with constructive measures to take for closing. This could go under PRO or CON…
    Austin Management seems to understand a work/life balance and is flexible as long as you are productive. The seasoned reps communicate upward to the execs and collaborate on improving processes while trying to adopt more best practices which is needed.
    The company appears to have poor Glassdoor reviews but a mission is in progress to improve all aspects of the company. Management in Austin is spearheading some positive changes and retooling everything from the web site and how we run as an organization.

Cons

They are quick to let employees go if they do not close new business in the first few months. It’s been somewhat a revolving door. However, the training is some of the best training orientation I've gone through. It’s been recently implemented and designed to help new hires excel. Employee retention should only increase. The system and pitch are not difficult to learn.
    The benefits such as vacation/PTO and Health insurance are not good. There’s a 90 day grace period before you get any vacation or paid time off. Health insurance is way too expensive to afford on only your base salary. For a profitable and established company, this needs to be addressed. The CFO runs lean and mean and the base salary is lower compared to the industry standard.

Loosen the purse strings. Keep the hard working reps happy with higher salaries. And better benefits!!

A good place to work if you a motivated sales professional

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bottom line: Do your job, work hard, and make money. It really is that simple. Just like anything in life, bring a positive presence to your daily duties. Dealing with attorneys all day can be challenging, so LM is certainly not for everyone. I work in a senior level position and have been with the company for a long time. There is a reason for that. Personally, I deal in a cohesive yet flexible work environment with truly quality co-workers and leadership. If you produce, and like any professional scenario where production is the real distinction, you have flexibility and financial opportunities that are better than most sales jobs. I have experience in sales and know what my counterparts (friends and neighbors) deal with daily. This can be a great option for the right person who is internally motivated.

Cons

The benefits are not very good, specifically health insurance, especially if you have a family. There aren't many perks.

Things are constantly changing, and I wish that management would work faster when it comes to our compensation packages. They are open to change, and usually comply in time, however.

Great People and Excellent Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the company headquarters in South San Francisco, everyone in the office is very friendly and personable. People are ambitious and excited to take on new projects, yet the work environment never becomes overly stressful. Collaboration is encouraged and it's enjoyable often getting the chance to work with members of several different departments at once.

Cons

The office, which is located on Oyster Point, is difficult to reach by public transit. If you don't have a car, it can be a challenge getting to work.

The legal industry isn't inherently cutting edge. However, legal marketing companies such as LegalMatch should still try to focus on innovation as much as possible. Also, LegalMatch seems to have a fairly high turnover rate with employees. LegalMatch is competing with many glamorous companies in the Bay Area. Even small companies here often have perks such as free lunches and regular bonuses.

Not what you would expect

Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Location. Not much is a pro about this company. The cafe is good. Parking is good. building is good. Get my drift.

Cons

Quality of cases is poor at best. Management of the place is terrible. Out of our training class we had only one make it. While a company like this could do much better it will never happen with this management team in place. Not receptive to suggestions (their way is the only way) Don't sell but sell! ?? What? There is not really one good thing to say.