LegalMatch Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.6

Laurie Ziffrin

Challenging and rewarding work, albeit "not for everyone."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Reno, NV

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding people within a supportive and vibrant culture focused on doing (believe it or not) only good business. Employees can do extremely well here, but not if they expect success to simply fall into their laps. Like anything else, there is no substitute for hard work and dedication. The business model itself is brilliant, and it's always gratifying to find an exceptional attorney, arm him/her with the knowledge it takes to flourish within our network, and then watch as he/she goes on to help so many people in the course of growing his/her business with us.

Cons

Absurdly disproportionate "bad press" online, and truly because our thousands of satisfied member attorneys almost never blog about their successes (much like our employees seldom do). So it goes with virtually all companies these days, but it's still frustrating whenever you KNOW you've found an attorney who's a perfect fit for our program and then he/she reads something purely negative online that spoils an otherwise mutually beneficial business relationship.

Work on our online reputation. Maintain the company's renewed focus on positive reinforcements and motivation, and particularly with our most dedicated, talented, and loyal personnel. This company is reasonably "successful," but with the right people in place we can take a serious quantum leap.

Only if you have no other job. Churn factory!

I have been working at LegalMatch

Pros

The culture is very laid back. Once you produce results they typically don't care what hours you work so long as you produce results.

Lots of opportunity to grow for the right candidate. Management opportunity is huge!

Training program has been updated and improved from before.

Cons

The base is extremely low and not competitive compared to the market. You probably will not bonus for 2 or 3 months. Most top sales people don't even make 70k per year.

Compensation plan is a drag. Have to do a lot of work just to bonus. Benefits suck. No 401k matching program at all. Health Insurance is expensive. No benefits until 90 days.... if you make it that long...

Even top people cannot close deals at a high rate. Management is cheap. Owners do not invest into their people. Owner is a penny pincher. Be prepared to male 500 - 1,000 calls per week.

Training program kind of blows because you don't keep a lot of the commission for all yoir hard work.

CHARGEBACKS SUCK!

Stop being so cheap. Get a better benefits package, raise the base salary, get a better compensation plan and eliminate chargebacks after a certain time period.

Invest more into your people!

Great work environment and ability to earn a living

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalMatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management and people to work with are great. More laid back then most sales organizations so you can be more relaxed and creative. Just like everything you have to work hard and get out what you put into it. An opportunity for individuals in any stage of their sales career.

Cons

If you are use to hand holding or someone constantly monitoring you to stay motivated this is not for you. Ability to relearn the sales process to more consultant selling may be challenging to some.

Great place to work - lots of ongoing training and support.

Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Henderson, NV

I worked at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great money. Flexible hours. Managers rock!

Cons

Presentation is 100% on the phone - no visuals.

Stay who you are :)

The future looks better

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been on the floor for less than a year selling a fairly unique attorney/client matching service that helps to increase revenue for attorneys. It seems to be a proven model and an effective tool for Attorney members to acquire more clients. Most attorneys are not business savvy so you do have to establish value and ROI. Attorneys are frugal! The company has a good 15 year history of Attorneys subscribing to this system. We have a high Attorney retention rate which speaks to the system. More importantly, most sales reps (membership recruiting managers) are closing deals and the company is growing. The bonus structure offers no incentive until you hit the first tier. Once you exceed the first tier for new monthly revenue, the bonuses are rewarding. I would guesstimate that 50+% of the reps are hitting/exceeding. A flat percentage % commission plan would be great rather than bonuses (especially for the smaller deals that take just as much effort to close with no incentive).
    Reps are expected to make 60 calls a day, send lots of emails and set up product demos daily. The company has a report card for this matrix with high expectations. If you’re a professional, consider the weekly report a mechanism for personal improvement with constructive measures to take for closing. This could go under PRO or CON…
    Austin Management seems to understand a work/life balance and is flexible as long as you are productive. The seasoned reps communicate upward to the execs and collaborate on improving processes while trying to adopt more best practices which is needed.
    The company appears to have poor Glassdoor reviews but a mission is in progress to improve all aspects of the company. Management in Austin is spearheading some positive changes and retooling everything from the web site and how we run as an organization.

Cons

They are quick to let employees go if they do not close new business in the first few months. It’s been somewhat a revolving door. However, the training is some of the best training orientation I've gone through. It’s been recently implemented and designed to help new hires excel. Employee retention should only increase. The system and pitch are not difficult to learn.
    The benefits such as vacation/PTO and Health insurance are not good. There’s a 90 day grace period before you get any vacation or paid time off. Health insurance is way too expensive to afford on only your base salary. For a profitable and established company, this needs to be addressed. The CFO runs lean and mean and the base salary is lower compared to the industry standard.

Loosen the purse strings. Keep the hard working reps happy with higher salaries. And better benefits!!

A good place to work if you a motivated sales professional

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bottom line: Do your job, work hard, and make money. It really is that simple. Just like anything in life, bring a positive presence to your daily duties. Dealing with attorneys all day can be challenging, so LM is certainly not for everyone. I work in a senior level position and have been with the company for a long time. There is a reason for that. Personally, I deal in a cohesive yet flexible work environment with truly quality co-workers and leadership. If you produce, and like any professional scenario where production is the real distinction, you have flexibility and financial opportunities that are better than most sales jobs. I have experience in sales and know what my counterparts (friends and neighbors) deal with daily. This can be a great option for the right person who is internally motivated.

Cons

The benefits are not very good, specifically health insurance, especially if you have a family. There aren't many perks.

Things are constantly changing, and I wish that management would work faster when it comes to our compensation packages. They are open to change, and usually comply in time, however.

Great People and Excellent Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the company headquarters in South San Francisco, everyone in the office is very friendly and personable. People are ambitious and excited to take on new projects, yet the work environment never becomes overly stressful. Collaboration is encouraged and it's enjoyable often getting the chance to work with members of several different departments at once.

Cons

The office, which is located on Oyster Point, is difficult to reach by public transit. If you don't have a car, it can be a challenge getting to work.

The legal industry isn't inherently cutting edge. However, legal marketing companies such as LegalMatch should still try to focus on innovation as much as possible. Also, LegalMatch seems to have a fairly high turnover rate with employees. LegalMatch is competing with many glamorous companies in the Bay Area. Even small companies here often have perks such as free lunches and regular bonuses.

Not what you would expect

Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Membership Recruiting Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Location. Not much is a pro about this company. The cafe is good. Parking is good. building is good. Get my drift.

Cons

Quality of cases is poor at best. Management of the place is terrible. Out of our training class we had only one make it. While a company like this could do much better it will never happen with this management team in place. Not receptive to suggestions (their way is the only way) Don't sell but sell! ?? What? There is not really one good thing to say.

Terrible Experience - Run Away if Thinking of Working Here

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at LegalMatch

Pros

I cannot think of one thing that is a pro. This company was ok to work for at first but many people that were there long term have run for the hills.

Cons

Terrible compensation. They work you into the ground. They treat their employees like they are replaceable.

You have to do something to turn staff morale around unless you just want a revolving door. Things have to change or you'll lose all the good ones to employees who just want to collect a paycheck and sit in their chair like a slug every day. Work on retention it will trickle down and be good karma for you.

What a Joke

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at LegalMatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, who unfortunately don't stay long. The product/service is awesome, and it is a brilliant idea, but the fact is they are a terrible company when it comes to HR matters, and the environment is like a morgue.

Cons

Upper management is not good, and they play favoritism constantly. It is just a rat race to the finish.

Get in to the 20th century, and treat your employees fairly. There is a good ole boy system in place, and it is drawn by the VP of sales. It is sad to see that this still has an affect on women here.