LegalZoom Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
John Suh

Pros
  • Christmas party, bagels on Friday, free soda, fellow employees, (in 15 reviews)

• Free bagels,gym, good Christmas party, good coworkers and good products (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • stressful environment, poor management, no room for growth (in 6 reviews)

• It is a call center, upper management is all over the place (in 7 reviews)

1. Loved Legaloom

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

Fantastic Work Environment with tons of employee incentives

Cons

Pay isn't the best with only select departments offering overtime.

Advice to Management

Make sure software being used is current and up to date to ensure employee productivity is maximized.

You don't feel like an Ant here. You're an asset to the company, not of the company.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Legalzoom here in Austin is really quite a special place. I've never been exposed to so many unique, positive, educated, passionate professionals with the highest integrity. I can assure you I'm not a corporate mouthpiece. This review is 100% legit. I wish I could write forever on this, but let's go through the facts of what makes the culture and environment at LZ so special. - People Smile everywhere. Just walk in the door and you'll be pleasantly and positively greeted. I'm a big fan of pre-informational interviewing a company before actually going through with the whole application, interview processes. So, go to LegalZoom, walk in the door, talk to the front desk, and ask them if you can just talk to someone who can spend five minutes telling you what they like about LZ. I dare you, because I know you will be pleasantly surprised, even if the job isn't for you. - Culture Rich environment. It isn't forced either. This isn't a place that just speaks about their culture being great. Nope, they actually reflect it every single minute of every day. From their sales and service gatherings where they will have a live in-house D.J. who is awesome, to the free food, coffee, tea, drinks, basketball court, full workout gym, awesome cafeteria with scenery, and a wilderness trail. People at LZ truly care about one another. - Uniquely Secret Talent. You may never know that the person you just sat with and talked about the latest sports scores was the COO of the company. He may have come to work wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops on a Friday, just to pop around the office and show gratitude to everyone. Then again, the person next to you taking calls, helping someone open their first business, might have a PhD, and the person next to him a G.E.D., but everyone gets along on an even level. The talent here is a hidden gem. That speaks volumes as to why someone who spent six figures on their higher education would want to work at Legalzoom. There are lots of reasons, and you will only know if you are inclined to apply and join them. - Namedropping. This is a place where namedropping helps you, but realize I'm speaking of internally. Networking, developing relationships with true leaders, and showing your positive habits will absolutely get you ahead at Legalzoom. They care and judge you by little to none of your history, and are more impressed with your habits and direction of where you want to be. In other words, you probably don't want to show up trying to sell your accomplishments to them arrogantly. Rather, do you due diligence and come to the table to sell Legalzoom on why you are passionate about joining and helping them, what you like about them, and how your habits can support their phenomenal culture. - Integrity. Absolutely UNMATCHED in any industry I have ever worked. I wish I could mention some of the outstanding people I work with, but Glassdoor doesn't allow that, and I understand why. Just know I'm not exaggerating one bit. The integrity of this company and the people within is the highest level I have ever witnessed. - Good benefits (HMO or PPO) - Top 5% make $90k+, average rep makes $50-65k, and on the low end $40k for sales. - Ridiculous amount of time off, very generous, but be responsible with your time. - Bonuses, AMEX gift cards, food, parties, lots of community events, and you are family there. - Free Bagels, Coffee, all kinds of Tea, Hot Cocoa, Milk, Soy, Almond, and Healthy choices. - Full awesome workout gym on-site, showers, all that, basketball court, nature trail, cool stuff. - All kinds of partnerships with businesses local to national for great savings. - Matching 401k program (percentage changes from year to year) = FREE MONEY! People have complained in previous reviews about promotions, and roadmap to other opportunities, but I just don't get it. FOURTEEN new Leads, SIX new Managers, and SIX new Assistant Managers have been INTERNALLY PROMOTED within the last 12 months. There aren't thousands of people here folks. I think there's around 150 employees, so if you consider a 1000% growth in advancement a negative, well then your mind obviously isn't in the right place.

Cons

I don't have any complaints. I love my job. I love the people I work with, and I'm thankful with a gratitude attitude.

Advice to Management

Put a lot of emphasis into developing your social media presence. There are tools in play that will help you protect your reputation on all social platforms. There is no reason to leave that area a vulnerability, because social media has broken the backs of many great organizations, leaving them bewildered as to how and why it happened. Get out ahead of things. Then take that social media strategy to a new level. Get all employees certified. Get them passionately involved in representing our brand. Offer incentives, certifications, and truly utilize the cultured engine you have running so perfectly in our offices to echo and amplify the great people who represent LZ. Let the family take ownership and protect the family from a strategic, certified, professional approach. Also, it is not known well enough that we are Americans who are right here in the good ole State of Texas representing LZ. When people call in they are not going to be shuffled 5,000 miles overseas like they probably expect. We are missing the boat when it comes to the advantage and investments you have made in representing the American public from the most American State in the country. Other than that, just keep being awesome. Legalzoom is outstanding!

3. Document processor

Pros

Great opportunity for personal and professional growth. Independent work but within a great team of people.

Cons

Lack of communication between management and teams and between various teams. No incentives for production.

5. Customer care

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing business, opportunities to move up.

Cons

Favoritism, various expectations by management, no consistent duty guidelines.

Advice to Management

Practice the often quoted statement regarding making sure the employees are happy and cared for, the more successful the company will be.

6. Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at LegalZoom (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing company. Catered meals. Full benefits.

Cons

Get comfortable, this may take time... Lack of transparency. Lack of leadership. It isn't that goals are undefined, they are constantly being changed. And nothing initiates change like a new program achieving success. One day we are told that our division is being expanded and we begin interviewing, then next we are told that our division is being split and half of the employees are being laid off. This is death for motivating your employees. Have IT take a look at the websites people are visiting on a daily basis while at work. Entire divisions are spending their day searching for other jobs.

Advice to Management

Set a goal, have a plan, then empower your teams to achieve the end result. Micromanaging proves that you have too much time on your hands when you are a C-level executive. Also, do not allow C-level managers to receive their EOY bonus until they have given their team members their annual review. I am in my third year with LZ and have NEVER been given a formal review, and only one raise. Lots of promises, but no raise.

7. Sacrifice will be key

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

- Good work interactions with co-workers. - Bagel Fridays. - Department wide activities/ company events are helpful when you first start. Easier to meet other co-workers and other departments.

Cons

- People steal your sales. - Management can be deceptive. - Favoritism is a big deal here. - Too much overboard drinking at company events. - Sacrifice the work-life due to a lot of miscommunications

Advice to Management

The voice of the average employee is small. Make sure that the voices of everyone is heard. It appears that some people are a little more miserable than others and no one asks what's wrong. Positive attitudes are great, but not when you feel like you're being duped. With that being said, quarterly surveys should be sent out about how employees feel about their jobs. This will help provide the feedback needed to bring true morale and value back to the employee. Stress level is high with multiple drastic changes in short periods of time.

Student loan counselor

Current Employee - Student Loan Counselor
    Current Employee - Student Loan Counselor

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, low pressure and low stress! Everyone is very warm and welcoming and extremely helpful! I can honestly say I love coming to work!

Cons

I can't think of any so far.. I don't have any cons to put here

Jul 29, 2015

We’re glad you are enjoying being a Zoomer!

Green fields

I worked at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

I always felt like if I saw a problem, that management would listen to my solutions - and if there was nobody that had the time or job responsibility to tackle that problem - I was always able to tackle it myself. At LegalZoom, I was promoted 3 times for doing just that: I basically started to do the roles or solve the problems of the next position up and then management would say - "hey, he's already doing this, let's promote him"

Cons

It's a much bigger company now and not quite as nimble. But there are benefits to that as well.

Advice to Management

Don't take your foot off the gas. Don't worry as much about immediate financial results. Invest in the next disruption instead of milking the quarter. This is not a dilemma, inventors.

Jul 29, 2015

Congratulations on your multiple promotions! Career growth happens at LegalZoom and our many Zoomers like you are great examples of this. We have seen a lot of growth since we started 14+ years ago ... More

An Awesome Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management is very attentive, and responsive. The company cares deeply about properly training their employees. In addition to great training, they offer continuing education, and enrichment programs to ensure the success of their employees. Lots of upward mobility, and room for growth.

Cons

The only downside is that the schedule changes monthly, and shifts can include late nights, and weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Jul 29, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. You’re right – we do care about the professional growth of every single Zoomer. We appreciate your willingness to be flexible and patient with schedule changes so that we ... More

Emergency Surgery

Current Employee - California in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - California in Glendale, CA

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had emergency surgery a few years ago. My VP at the time was very supportive and continuously contacted me and my family to see how I was doing. It was also reassuring that our CEO reached out to me several times to see how I was doing. After my surgery, our CEO was one of the first to reach out to see how it went. I appreciated the time he took out to check up on me and it was great to know the company had my back.

Cons

The "cons" of this experience was the surgery part and not being myself for a few weeks.

Advice to Management

Knowing that management cared about me help me want to get back to work.

Jul 29, 2015

It’s wonderful to hear you’ve recovered well from your surgery. “People Matter” has always been our motto, and as you’ve experienced, we back that up every day. Thank you for your feedback.

RSS Feed </> Embed