www.leggmason.com

Be The First To
Add Photos

Legg Mason President and CEO Mark R. Fetting

Mark R. Fetting

Pros
  • Great company and good work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Friendly people, great reputation in the area(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management lacks leadership qualities(in 8 reviews)

• Sluggish recovery from the recession; doubtful organization structure; sometimes people could be too laid-back(in 4 reviews)

Good learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGood corporate culture, diversified business with many moving parts, and family business foundation which can still be seen there today.

ConsConstant changes at the upper management layers, difficult reemergence out of the recession, and some uncertain future prospects with a rogue investor on the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency where possible, better career development tools and opportunities, and better knowledge management from the top down through the entry level positions.

An asset management firm that cannot manage its assets

Client Services (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSimple/light workload, apathy in the office leads to a haven for underacheivers

ConsSalary well below industry standards, confused management, archaic procedures, extreme office politics/bureaucracy at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reacting to random, intangible one-off events and take an educated initiative to solve problems. With all the executive rhetoric about being "best in class," we should be focused more on actually rewarding/compensating talent, rather than trying to improve margins by settling for mediocrity.

Poor Management. No organizational abilities whatsoever

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsThey pay me well to do nothing

ConsManagement has no idea what they are doing
    They are concerned with only themselves and not the growth of their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My pro is the same as my con.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you want to work somewhere where you have a lot of free time and don't mind not advancing your career, then this might be the place for you. Compared to other places I've been employed at, the workload was lightest here.

ConsWhat I listed as a pro is also the same thing I would put here as a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to take stock of their employees and resources, determine what's not necessary and cut the fat. They need to run a much leaner ship.

Great company if you are an Executive

LMTS (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe benefits are about standard and they did give yearly increases when the company was struggling, albeit very small it was still better than nothing.

ConsLittle to no opportunity for advancement or training. Lack of integrity in Executive management and Board of Directors (6 months after laying-off 500+ people and 3 months after giving promotions without pay increases the Executives received 7 digit bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees! Hire a Co-CEO with the experience to run all aspects of the company. Someone that people are willing to follow.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsColleagues are very friendly and nice.

ConsOne of the largest asset management firms in the US, but also has one of the largest overhead costs compared to other competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease the overhead costs.

Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery open environment. Great entry point. but....

ConsNo ladder to climb. Virtually no lateral movement either.
    Senior management seems very disinterested in lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR website needs to be revamped. Virtually no movement is available for employees.
    Communication needs vast improvement.

Good place to work.

Developer (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI didn't work there long, but the people I got to meet there were really great to work with. The out-of-college training program they have you go through is a bit bogus, but its a nice way to break up the day. Overall the pay was good and the job was interesting.

ConsLike I said, the training program is a bit bogus. Other than that, the job was pretty decent. Sometimes supporting financial organizations in IT can be pretty demanding, especially with clients in other countries.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot to beat a dead horse here, but get rid of the trainee program or make it more useful. It would also be nice to have more work across teams (at least in IT).

Internal Wholesaler (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsGreat pay, great benefits. A place to learn the ropes for the financial world and the wholesaling industry. Not a bad employer.

ConsPoor management, lack of communication, senior management lacks experience in wholesaling and therefore treat it as a retail operation. Behind the 8 ball on what products should be offered considering current economic times.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide timely information to employees regarding business decisions that may affect the way business is handled on a day to day basis. In a sales environment compensation creates motivation, therefore do not make promises you can not keep.

Good Job

Retirement Specialist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThis job is good because it pays me a lot of money and I do not live that far from the office.

ConsThis job is bad because i always have to deal with someone up in my business when I just want to be left alone to do my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to understand that you are not the god of the company and you can't just tell everyone what to do or they will resent you.

Worked for Legg Mason? Contribute to the Community!