Leggett & Platt

Updated November 5, 2014
3.7

Leggett & Platt Chairman of the Board & CEO Dave Haffner
Dave Haffner

Pros
  • Very large, publicly traded, S&P 500 company established in 1883; (in 3 reviews)

• Leggett does care about its people and is a really great place to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any large company, there are challenges (in 4 reviews)

• the management is rude to the workers and treat them with no respect unless they want something in return (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at Leggett & Platt

Pros

Leggett is a company that lives out what they preach. This is a place where people genuinely care about your personal & professional development. Great down to earth management and awesome co-workers. Work is fun & challenging and there is plenty opportunities throughout many different branches and departments. Depending on what you love to do, you can most likely find it at Leggett.

Cons

Compensation is not based on your performance, might be hard to keep the talent around here.

Nov 14, 2014Talent Advisor & Social Media Manager

We're glad you love Leggett! Also, thanks for your thoughts on how to keep the best talent. We're definitely moving the right direction.

Wrong Direction

I worked at Leggett & Platt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Allowing branches to be autonomous

Cons

Corporate HQ is changing that and putting more and more pressure on branches to give up their autonomy

Don't try to Legget-ize everything

Nov 14, 2014Talent Management

Thanks for the constructive criticism — since we are in so many diverse industries different businesses require different levels of autonomy. Our desire is for the entire company to move together in ... More

A stable, reputable company

I worked at Leggett & Platt

Pros

Very large, publicly traded, S&P 500 company established in 1883;
    Very well-known in the industry;
    People at HQ are very down to earth;
    Very stable (for the most part).

Cons

Very financially driven (answer to wall street analysts);
    Opportunities to improve name recognition among consumers;
    In an industry that puts a lot of emphasis on long-standing relationships and family ties;
    Very, very conservative.

Wish you all the best!

Nov 14, 2014Talent Management

We're glad you saw us as down-to-earth kind of folks. And we wish you the best as well as you continue your career!

Excelent

I have been working at Leggett & Platt

Pros

Good Company, good salary, excelent

Cons

No complains for this Company

Large company with lots of opportunity.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Leggett & Platt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leggett & Platt is a Fortune 500 company. It is very large and operates hundreds of plants in more than twenty countries. They have many strategic business units encompassing the manufacturing of component parts for Original Equipment Manufacturers in many industries. With a company this large, there is plenty of opportunity to succeed. The company stock is a good investment both short term and long term.

Cons

There is quite a bit of travel in management, but some do not see this as a con. Leggett is a very large company and the procurement people are not well versed in all of the things that the entire Leggett corporation makes. The point is that Leggett could do a better job buying component parts from other Leggett holdings.

Nov 14, 2014Talent Management

Actually we dropped out of the Fortune 500 list for a few years following a shift in our strategy (we are currently a member of the S&P 500, though). But that decision to align ourselves around Total ... More

Terrible Pay

I worked at Leggett & Platt full-time

Pros

The corporate office is big.

Cons

This company operates with a "stick and carrot" mentality. When you arrive at your carrot "performance goals," they then move the carrot once again. It's an endless cycle. You'll never be at that performance level to warrant a decent raise. Plan on about a 1% raise per year (if that).

Pay for performance and not favoritism.

Nov 14, 2014Talent Management

We're disappointed that you had such a negative experience. While there are a number of factors that may affect compensation, we do agree with you that "favoritism" shouldn't be one of them. That's ... More

Culture of Caring for People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carthage, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carthage, MO

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For several years I worked with Leggett & Platt in an external capacity. It gave me a chance to experience the culture, get to the know the people, and work alongside some incredible talent. When the chance to join the company full-time arose, I was excited to join. The company truly takes care of its people and gives me access to resources that help me do the best job possible. On top of that, nearly everyone I've met is respectful and kind. Also, the Team Talent division gives me access to professional development opportunities that allow me to grow and stay sharp. If you're a hard worker who cares for people I highly recommend working at Leggett & Platt.

Cons

In a large company there are times when you'd hope divisions could work more closely. In my short time here, I've seen improvements in cross-pollinating ideas, but there's room for growth.

Keep up the good work. Our culture is wonderful. Work to knock down any silos and maximize ideas by bringing business units together.

Nov 20, 2014Talent Management

Thanks for the positive comments about our talent initiatives and L&D offerings. We've invested a lot of time, money, and resources into developing our employees over the last five years. We look ... More

Great company to work for!!

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are important to the leadership of Leggett! Emphasis is placed on finding and hiring top talent as well as developing people from within. There is always room for growth and opportunity. This a small town company with a global thumbprint - so you get the feeling of family with a company that is leading the industry in many areas around the world.

Cons

It is the Midwest - not the highest paying region of the world.

Leggett & Platt is a hidden gem.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Carthage, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Carthage, MO

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers at Leggett realize that skills are something that can be acquired but personality and work ethic are not. They make an effort to hire people who have a cultural fit. Everyone I've come into contact with is down-to-earth, encouraging, and willing to help or mentor you when you when needed.

The opportunities here are endless and furthering education is encouraged. It's very common for people to move around in any direction they like within the company, whether that be through promotions within a single department or moving between groups and departments. There are well-rounded and experienced employees wherever you look. They also give entry-level employees a chance to shine. Leggett realizes that good ideas don't come solely from upper management. So it's really one of the best places you could go to start out your career in the Midwest. I know I'm glad I've ended up here.

You will be stretched past your comfort zone. For some people this may be a con, but I see it as a plus. If you're ambitious, personal growth is easy here.

You're treated like a person, not a number and you're constantly reminded of the bigger picture. The Corporate Office is very involved with the Branches and there's so much to learn about the company. It's really amazing, everything Leggett manufactures. I'm constantly surprised.

Cons

The on-boarding process is so-so; once you get your office and survive the first day, you're on your own for the most part. Now, I know above I said that people at Leggett are helpful, and they are, but you have to have the initiative to seek that help and ask questions. Self-starters will really flourish in this environment, someone that needs hand-holding will not. Recently, HR started an orientation and tour day that they conduct 4 times a year. This is a great program. Of course, I didn't get to participate in it until I had already been here 14 months but at least they have it I guess.

Managers here won't give you regular feedback unless you push them for it. If you're someone that needs your work critiqued regularly, let your manager know.

Despite the lack of initial training, once you get the hang of things Leggett & Platt is a pleasant place to be.

Nov 20, 2014Talent Management

Wow! Thanks for leaving such an in-depth and insightful review. You make a great point about taking the initiative to ask for feedback. Implementing goals and performance reviews a few years back has ... More

Great culture, smart leadership and strategy, with great opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Area in Carthage, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Area in Carthage, MO

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a great and truly unique culture. There is a down to Earth, small company feel that is combined with the great benefits and opportunities of a large S&P 500 company. Management is ethical, candid, smart and focused. People are treated well and respected. Great place to work.

Cons

There are not a lot of cons. Like any large company, there are challenges. However, these are prioritized and dealt with in a practical manner.

Great job!

Nov 20, 2014Talent Management

Very true! "Down to earth, small company feel with the great benefits of a large S&P 500 company" really sums us up nicely.