Leggett & Platt

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Leggett & Platt Chairman of the Board & CEO Dave Haffner

Dave Haffner

Absolutely great!!

Paint Line Laborer (Former Employee)
    Lexington, NC

ProsThey provided me with honest work with a respectable wage.

ConsI had a 30 minute commute and had to drive home at 3 a.m.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!!

Hardest work ever, good money.

Crater (Former Employee)
    Monroe, GA

ProsHard work, money is good, benefits are ok. Good job security.

ConsYou will never move up, you will be stuck in the same position the rest of your days employed.

Great people, excellent stability

Corporate Employee (Current Employee)
    Carthage, MO

ProsBy and large, you're not going to find nicer people to work with. There's a lot to be said about that.

In an economy that chews businesses up and spits them, Leggett offers Incredible stability — 130 years old and still going strong.

The stock has had it's best year ever and continues to pay great dividends. Excellent benefits, including on-site independent clinics.

ConsBeing an older manufacturing company, technology isn't necessarily cutting edge, and change management takes longer than in more nimble environments.

Because it's such a large company, employee's experience may differ based on location, manager, or even product line if it's a production-level employee. Overall, the people are top-notch, but there's always going to be small pockets that need improvement.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Carthage, MO

ProsPlant Manager is great encouraging people to work as a team and makes the job fun besides pushing us to do a great job. CEO visits often and very social with everyone and supportive with everyone. CEO had his staff took good care of us after the tornado. Everyone is treated with a lot of respect as long as they respect others and their surrounding. Benefits are good. Bonuses are given to both hourly and salary employees.

ConsThere is not many cons to say. If you want to move up really fast and not patient, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job.

Solid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTwas Fun and a good time

ConsCant move up, low pay

It's OK

Design Intern (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsDiverse product line and decent location

ConsA bit confused on how to grow

Company Profit above ALL

Being A NUMBER (Former Employee)
    Carthage, MO

ProsYear round work if you are young and dumb. You get to work inside. Climate controlled work place (if it is HOT outside it is HOTTER inside, If it is COLD outside it can be just as COLD inside). If you are not of White American decent the you will get a job over a more qualified White American that is here working legally.

ConsThe work is physically demanding and can be hazardous to your health if not careful. The Company looks at the All Mighty Dollar above safety and comfort for the employees. The Corporate Office Keeps their lots clear of hazards (ice, snow, trash) for their employees. If you work out at one of the plants good luck. Leggett & Platt has the equipment at the Corporate office to clean all the parking lots at all the building but that would take away from their bottom line (Making money not spending it on the health and safety of the Employees). With the cost of living going up so does the cost for basic benefits like health insurance. You give a raise to the employees for a job done well, Then charge them more for the benefits. In the long run I brought home more when I was paid less than after all the raises over my 8 years there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake and get with the times. You say you care about your employees, Then show it. When a problem is brought to your attention address it and fix it if possible. Not all problems can be fixed that is a given but you can at least put forth an effort. Share the wealth with the people that MAKE you the MONEY.

You are Just a NUMBER here

Local Driver (Current Employee)
    Carthage, MO

ProsPlenty of work if you are young and dumb. The majority of the work is very physically demanding not to mention that accidents do happen and here some are serious.

ConsCompany profit overrides the care of the employees. You have to make the numbers or you are out of a job. My position want not one with a piece count requirement but I saw it everywhere. If you are shaky on performance they will look for any reason to get rid of you. So you constantly worry is today the day I am gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees if they have a problem and take steps to correct them. With over 20 complaints about a member of management the upper levels refused to even look at them because of his time on the Job.

A different Leggett & Platt

ProsJob security and very limited ability to grow

ConsLimited ability to grow, lower end of the pay scale, only focus is numbers, don't care that much about employees, benefits are average or less, have to wear many hats because the company won't hire enough people

The Land that Time Forgot

Plant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEasy to shine, the bright go-getters quickly leave.

ConsCorporate is a place that values longevity, not smarts. There are corporate types who have been with the company more than 30 years, and went to high school and grade school with the big wigs. And they will remind you, you are not one of them. Not from Carthage? Hard to move ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is some very serious weeding among Carthage employees that needs to be done on the corporate side. Just becuase someone has been at the company 30 years, does not mean they have any value. Some should have been let go 10-15 years ago.

Worked for Leggett & Platt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Leggett & Platt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Leggett & Platt CEO Dave Haffner. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Leggett & Platt employees.