Leggett & Platt

Leggett & Platt Chairman of the Board & CEO Dave Haffner
Dave Haffner

Excelent

I have been working at Leggett & Platt

Pros

Good Company, good salary, excelent

Cons

No complains for this Company

Large company with lots of opportunity.

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Leggett & Platt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leggett & Platt is a Fortune 500 company. It is very large and operates hundreds of plants in more than twenty countries. They have many strategic business units encompassing the manufacturing of component parts for Original Equipment Manufacturers in many industries. With a company this large, there is plenty of opportunity to succeed. The company stock is a good investment both short term and long term.

Cons

There is quite a bit of travel in management, but some do not see this as a con. Leggett is a very large company and the procurement people are not well versed in all of the things that the entire Leggett corporation makes. The point is that Leggett could do a better job buying component parts from other Leggett holdings.

Terrible Pay

I worked at Leggett & Platt full-time

Pros

The corporate office is big.

Cons

This company operates with a "stick and carrot" mentality. When you arrive at your carrot "performance goals," they then move the carrot once again. It's an endless cycle. You'll never be at that performance level to warrant a decent raise. Plan on about a 1% raise per year (if that).

Pay for performance and not favoritism.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture of Caring for People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carthage, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carthage, MO

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time for less than a year

Pros

For several years I worked with Leggett & Platt in an external capacity. It gave me a chance to experience the culture, get to the know the people, and work alongside some incredible talent. When the chance to join the company full-time arose, I was excited to join. The company truly takes care of its people and gives me access to resources that help me do the best job possible. On top of that, nearly everyone I've met is respectful and kind. Also, the Team Talent division gives me access to professional development opportunities that allow me to grow and stay sharp. If you're a hard worker who cares for people I highly recommend working at Leggett & Platt.

Cons

In a large company there are times when you'd hope divisions could work more closely. In my short time here, I've seen improvements in cross-pollinating ideas, but there's room for growth.

Keep up the good work. Our culture is wonderful. Work to knock down any silos and maximize ideas by bringing business units together.

Great company to work for!!

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are important to the leadership of Leggett! Emphasis is placed on finding and hiring top talent as well as developing people from within. There is always room for growth and opportunity. This a small town company with a global thumbprint - so you get the feeling of family with a company that is leading the industry in many areas around the world.

Cons

It is the Midwest - not the highest paying region of the world.

Leggett & Platt is a hidden gem.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Carthage, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Carthage, MO

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time for more than a year

Pros

The managers at Leggett realize that skills are something that can be acquired but personality and work ethic are not. They make an effort to hire people who have a cultural fit. Everyone I've come into contact with is down-to-earth, encouraging, and willing to help or mentor you when you when needed.

The opportunities here are endless and furthering education is encouraged. It's very common for people to move around in any direction they like within the company, whether that be through promotions within a single department or moving between groups and departments. There are well-rounded and experienced employees wherever you look. They also give entry-level employees a chance to shine. Leggett realizes that good ideas don't come solely from upper management. So it's really one of the best places you could go to start out your career in the Midwest. I know I'm glad I've ended up here.

You will be stretched past your comfort zone. For some people this may be a con, but I see it as a plus. If you're ambitious, personal growth is easy here.

You're treated like a person, not a number and you're constantly reminded of the bigger picture. The Corporate Office is very involved with the Branches and there's so much to learn about the company. It's really amazing, everything Leggett manufactures. I'm constantly surprised.

Cons

The on-boarding process is so-so; once you get your office and survive the first day, you're on your own for the most part. Now, I know above I said that people at Leggett are helpful, and they are, but you have to have the initiative to seek that help and ask questions. Self-starters will really flourish in this environment, someone that needs hand-holding will not. Recently, HR started an orientation and tour day that they conduct 4 times a year. This is a great program. Of course, I didn't get to participate in it until I had already been here 14 months but at least they have it I guess.

Managers here won't give you regular feedback unless you push them for it. If you're someone that needs your work critiqued regularly, let your manager know.

Despite the lack of initial training, once you get the hang of things Leggett & Platt is a pleasant place to be.

Great culture, smart leadership and strategy, with great opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Area  in  Carthage, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Area in Carthage, MO

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has a great and truly unique culture. There is a down to Earth, small company feel that is combined with the great benefits and opportunities of a large S&P 500 company. Management is ethical, candid, smart and focused. People are treated well and respected. Great place to work.

Cons

There are not a lot of cons. Like any large company, there are challenges. However, these are prioritized and dealt with in a practical manner.

Great job!

Great to a fault!

I have been working at Leggett & Platt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leggett does care about its people and is a really great place to work. The people are genuine and the pace is very manageable. We are great when it comes to our operations team and simply producing the products that we sell. I think we are as good as anyone when it comes to that.

Cons

We are great to our people to a fault. We don't move people into different positions when they are not right for their job or we don't move them out when it is not a fit. We need to make those decisions faster so that keeping the wrong person in the wrong job does not negatively impact others in the company.

Focus more on how to improve research and development, sales and marketing. These are key result areas that we don't spend enough time on.

Good experience with local plant level, corporate was substandard

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Leggett & Platt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was close to home and small, office culture was good, really liked what I did, and who I worked with.

Cons

Staff was fairly underpaid, by about twenty percent at least, also only one week of vac after a year and two after three, no employer contribution match on 401, not alot of reason for talent to hang around or much of a concern for management to retain talent overall I would work in the industry again but not for Leggett...

Don't make such knee jerk reactions, consider increasing employee benefits in general the list goes on and on and on, they shut our plant down when it was profitable just not profitable enough, Leggett is a huge company and we didn't even make a blip on the radar as far as contribution to bottom line. I would not work for Leggett again unless if was for a division they cared about keeping.

Hardest work ever, good money.

Former Employee - Crater  in  Monroe, GA
    Former Employee - Crater in Monroe, GA

I worked at Leggett & Platt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard work, money is good, benefits are ok. Good job security.

Cons

You will never move up, you will be stuck in the same position the rest of your days employed.

Worked for Leggett & Platt? Contribute to the Community!