Lego Group

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.7

Jørgen Vig Knudstorp

Pros
  • Great benefits and company events equate to great company to work for people with families (in 5 reviews)

• The people there are fun and people are really encourage to be good colleagues (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High demand, long hours, and although the benefits are good, the salary itself may not be (in 3 reviews)

• and being 'on call' for a part time retail job (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

LEGO vs LEGO Brand Retail

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

LEGO Group is focused on quality, imagination, and creativity, and that is evident in every set that is manufactured. They have presented employees with some pretty cool sets as gifts, which, as a LEGO fan, is always a joy to receive.

Cons

I work for LEGO Brand Retail North America, which is still trying to find its way as a retailer. It is slow to innovate, few people in the home office have worked in a retail setting, and feedback from the field is typically not put into action. This makes for some headaches and frustrations that affect the customer experience but are left for field staff to repair. Wages are on the lower end of the spectrum in a retail setting, though, as a pro, the bonus potential for all employees can be gratifying. It is difficult to recommend LEGO Brand Retail as an employer with few opportunities to move into home office positions or for those that enjoy being in collaborative environments.

The company would do well to solicit and more readily act upon feedback from the field. Particularly, before rolling out customer initiatives, running the ideas by store teams for potential issues that result in customer dissatisfaction would reduce stress and frustrations in the field. Improving proactive communications on changes in direction or new initiatives would also reduce frustrations.

Disappointing experience working for this company.

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lego Group

Pros

The consumer really likes the product though numerous complaints about retail prices.

Cons

I had to quit due to a cancer diagnosis. A month later I found out that my manager had said I had been falsifying hours worked. I plan to have an attorney look into this when I feel stronger and healthier. I have all of my paperwork to support my honesty.

Upper level management needs to speak with every exiting employee on why they are quitting the company.

If you quit for any reason, management will make it look like you did something dishonest.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Lego Group part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great product and wonderful co-workers. Some flexibility with scheduling your required duties and responsibilities. Be prepared to be 'on call' with .your schedule with little or no notice from the company.

Cons

Middle merchandising management can say or do anything toward their team and no one in upper level management and human resources will give you any support.

Someone needs to look into management that has lost 25% of their merchandising team due to those employees having been supposedly 'dishonest'.

New management dictated reduced time frames for merchandising tasks so their budget looked better to upper management

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lego Group part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great product and hopefully a great future for the company! Excellent merchandising team with years of experience and expertise in the work place.

Cons

New management was only interested in having lower merchandising payroll expenditures than fellow management in the same department. 'Inaccurate' and/or reduced time frames were dictated to my merchandising team for accomplishing certain tasks. What a surprise when speaking with co-workers in other areas of the country that my merchandising team should have been allotted more time for certain duties and responsibilities. Needless to say, the payroll budget for my merchandising team looked great to upper management but the situation was stressful for us!

Upper management and the Human Resource department should really pay attention if numerous employees complain about certain management or issues.

Merchandising team is no longer important to the company - management perks ARE.

Former Employee - Merchandisr in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Merchandisr in Enfield, CT

I worked at Lego Group part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent product though customers continuously complain about how expensive it is.

Cons

LEGO merchandisers with extensive experience and excellent work ethics are leaving the company because their opinions and feedback no longer matter. Management continues to insult merchandiser's intelligence by offering 'fake' explanations on why the merchandising budget is being reduced. Meanwhile managers are driving brand new company vehicles and flying all over the country for meetings that could be accomplished with a conference call. LEGO also sends out expensive Christmas gifts to seasonal people who are only with the company for seven weeks a year.

Managers who have screwed up in their previous department should not be transferred into a management position they know nothing about. There is nothing worse than having to tell your manager how to do their job. Actually there is: a manager who lies to their team at the team's expense in order for the manager's budget to be less than fellow management.

Flagship Store

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Lego Group part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Our mission - to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow. Seeing kids walking into the store being amazed with all the sculptures made out of LEGO bricks is fantastic and rewarding. Flexible hours. High standards for customer service.

Cons

Mainly the same problem in all retail locations - the resellers trying to buy in bulk and con-people trying to work the system. SAP system needs to improve drastically.

Great coworkers, questionable management staff

Current Employee - Brick Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Brick Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Lego Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The product is universally known and widely loved; meet lots of interesting guests; coworkers tend to be great people to work with

Cons

Corporate management is out of touch; store management is inconsistent and focused on metrics; guests can be extremely difficult, particularly with the massive expansion of foreign guests.

Realize your people are people and the job is stressful without the pay most stressful jobs get and align expectations accordingly...

Producer

Current Employee - Producer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Producer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company values the creative efforts of the employees. Company values a great balance of work, personal goals, company priorities, and education.

Cons

Sometimes you work may be hard to transition out of.

Great Company. Very supportive and positive.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Lego Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exceptional team- work is fun every day
    Great benefits (employee exclusive LEGO Set and additional Holiday gifts and bonuses
    Wonderful corporate culture

Cons

General shortcomings associated with Retail:
    Stressful atmosphere during busy times
    Occasional trouble guest
    Sometimes there are communication gaps
    Hours vary throughout the year

Release schedules earlier. I'm sure this is a decision made by each store manager. Our schedule would come out on Thursday for the upcoming Monday.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Lego Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fun place to work and most people are really interested in either the products or kids in general. It's one of the few ways to get a good discount on Legos if you love them. They hold to high standards of service and work environment, ideally you're just as happy at your job as the customers are visiting the store.

Cons

There can be some pressure at times (not as bad as most places though!), and you probably won't be able to get access to any type of truly fun job (to make a career of like being a builder, etc) from working in a retail store.

Lego Group Photos