Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network

Updated August 10, 2014
Updated August 10, 2014
3.3

Ronald W. Swinfard

Pros
  • Lehigh Valley Health Network is a Great place to work (in 3 reviews)

• I learned A LOT in my profession while during my years there and was provided a lot of opportunity (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Many units and levels of personnel operate in silos and not as team players (in 3 reviews)

• Could easily eliminate 10% of positions and have no adverse effect on patient care (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of room for growth. Management not bad.

Cons

They seem to be bad at budgeting. They have had several lay-offs in the five years I've been here.

Lacks common business sense

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potential for personal growth within network, great weekend rate, working with great time, hire graduate nurses, Magnet hospital, excellent education opportunities.

Cons

Difficulty getting off night shift, constant disorganization and restructuring, poor raises, low base rate.

It is difficult to see the loss of shared incentive bonuses when staff can see many mismanaged areas. Pulling high paid nursing staff in to cover units as a tech because they are unable to safely act as a nurse is poor management of resources. Policy needs to be established hospital wide not at the whim of a director. There needs to be better accountability of unit managers and a safe environment to vocalize concerns. Additionally, when restructuring, firing or misplacing nurses for a single lab label error is vindictive and goes against your safe incident reporting environment. Many people were displaced or let go because they reported their own lab error and where punished for it.

Good for nurses just starting in the field.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training program for new (graduate) nurses. Good place to start your career.

Cons

Management is not consistent and changes their mind according to what suits them at that time. Certain units are run as though all of their employees are expandable. Hard to get off of night shift.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work for your first year out of nursing school.

Current Employee - RN  in  Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - RN in Allentown, PA

Pros

Caring floor staff. Good first year experience.

Cons

Low pay, bad management, staff is spread very thin with lots of expectations.

Staff burnout is high and threatening a persons job for every little thing is no way to effectively lead.

Would like it to be the great place to work that it was a few years ago.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time

Pros

Most of the coworkers are excellent and desire to work together to get the job done. In my years here, I've had some outstanding managers and great coworkers who truly care. The pay and benefits are also very good. Excellent care by doctors and nurses.

Cons

Until a few years ago, the culture of the organization had valued quality people as the asset. Even non-clinical staff felt motivated to learn more to benefit LVHN/LVPG and for career advancement. This created a "win-win" situation and sense of loyalty by staff.
    Sadly, this culture seems to be changing. In the last 2-3 years changes in administrators, directors, etc. have brought a new management style. This new trend does not appreciate efforts by employees or address concerns. It appears that employee furloughs, out-sourcing of jobs is the new culture. Employee morale is very low.

1. Look back to what made LVHN/LVPG a great place top work: Loyal, excellent employees that care.
    2. The "R" in "PRIDE" stands for respect. It would be nice for employees to see that again.
    3. Consider the responses to the employee survey, don't punish if you don't like the honest answers.
    4. The poor economy and changes in healthcare will challenge all health organizations. Appreciate employees and they get through the hard times ahead. Can you get passion and loyalty by outsourcing?

Excellent Reputation of Superior Healthcare

Current Employee - Direct Patient Care  in  Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Patient Care in Allentown, PA

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Great Work Schedule, Affiliation with the best health care system in the area.

Cons

LVHN spends an inordinate amount of money on expansion and annexation, then claims that "we are in difficult times due to the Affordable Care Act", and then cuts employee bonuses and raises our health care costs. Will defend spending as "providing better patient care" but seems to fail to understand the effect of decreasing employee morale on patient care. Buildings don't provide excellent patient care, people do!

Spend less time and money maintaining the "biggest" status and focus on rebuilding employee morale. Staffing is critically low in many departments in an effort to "save money" leading to a burnt out work force.

Great face to the community, poor internal experience.

Former Employee - Exercise Physiologist  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Exercise Physiologist in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great pay-rate, great resources, great patients, great reputation. It was an exciting honor to be hired right out of college for my position. Encouragement of furthering education and research was always widely accepted.

Cons

Poor management within my individual department. I went through 2 managers in the 4 years I was there, and for any complaints or reviews on the managers were not immediately addressed. It took years to complete internal reviews and see results. I had left the company before appropriate action was taken toward concern that had been voiced while I was there, including favoritism, unfair targeting of employees, poor directorial management and emphasis on numbers and profits rather than patient care.

Listen more closely to the employees in the department, not just the synopsis from the director or head of the department.

IT department is a mess

Former Employee - Migration Tech  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Migration Tech in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

they function despite of themselves
    planing is good - implementation not so good

Cons

there is no one unified IT department
    there are to many bosses or want to be bosses in the department, team members do their own thing even when instructed not to
    the is no follow through with assignments

when you start a assignment, finish it, don't let team members bail out in the assignment

All around a good employer but has had its growing pains.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Awesome benefits package (pay little for benefits compared to other companies, good PTO, sick time accrues, pay out for unused PTO/Sick time when you leave, wellness dollars, retirement plan)
    -Tuition reimbursement
    -Since it's a large company, there is opportunity to grow or move to other departments
    -Organization is always striving to be the best in class, provide value to patients/payers and retain employees
    -I learned A LOT in my profession while during my years there and was provided a lot of opportunity
    -Though small, bonuses tied to performance of entire organization -- felt we all made a difference (as far as I know bonuses in not for profit world are unheard of)
    -Though it was not for profit, I felt I still received competitive salary compared to others in my profession

Cons

-As not for profit many employees are stretched very thin in most departments
    -Challenging environment to be "profitable" in...very competitive and heavily regulated
    -For a healthcare company, work-life balance can be quite lacking
    -I struggled to not take work with me -- literally and figuratively
    -Now that I work in for-profit world, I actually feel more connected to community and that I make more of a difference than I did at LVHN...possibly because it is such a large organization and you can feel like a just number
    -Sometimes feel like just a number
    -VERY political, especially where physicians are concerned
    -Don't expect a raise every year
    -Some leadership is simply amazing and inspiring. Other leaders in place you have to wonder how they got there/stay there?

Politics and cow-towing to physicians gets very old. "Service" culture is also expected internally and not always effective to serving priorities of network. The organization is so large and there's dotted lines everywhere, you get flustered trying to please everyone, all the time. Priorities are easily blurred and easily rearranged, depending on who is asking for something. Don't forget the community and the positive impact we can make on it. Consider more partnering with for profit world.

Good company but some growing pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits including hospital's own health insurance plan.
    Encouragement for education and training.
    Nice co-workers.
    Management seems to be trying hard to support employees.

Cons

Growing very fast and incoming divisions and groups don't feel comfortable. Very large organization.
    People not very good at talking to each other or airing out differences.
    Parking is at remote lots.

Continue to improve and encourage employee participation.

Worked for Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network? Contribute to the Community!