Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ronald W. Swinfard

Pros
  • I learned A LOT in my profession while during my years there and was provided a lot of opportunity(in 2 reviews)

• Continuing education within company(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Many units and levels of personnel operate in silos and not as team players(in 3 reviews)

• Could easily eliminate 10% of positions and have no adverse effect on patient care(in 3 reviews)

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsLots of room for growth. Management not bad.

ConsThey seem to be bad at budgeting. They have had several lay-offs in the five years I've been here.

Good place to work for your first year out of nursing school.

RN (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsCaring floor staff. Good first year experience.

ConsLow pay, bad management, staff is spread very thin with lots of expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff burnout is high and threatening a persons job for every little thing is no way to effectively lead.

Would like it to be the great place to work that it was a few years ago.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsMost of the coworkers are excellent and desire to work together to get the job done. In my years here, I've had some outstanding managers and great coworkers who truly care. The pay and benefits are also very good. Excellent care by doctors and nurses.

ConsUntil a few years ago, the culture of the organization had valued quality people as the asset. Even non-clinical staff felt motivated to learn more to benefit LVHN/LVPG and for career advancement. This created a "win-win" situation and sense of loyalty by staff.
    Sadly, this culture seems to be changing. In the last 2-3 years changes in administrators, directors, etc. have brought a new management style. This new trend does not appreciate efforts by employees or address concerns. It appears that employee furloughs, out-sourcing of jobs is the new culture. Employee morale is very low.

Advice to Senior Management1. Look back to what made LVHN/LVPG a great place top work: Loyal, excellent employees that care.
    2. The "R" in "PRIDE" stands for respect. It would be nice for employees to see that again.
    3. Consider the responses to the employee survey, don't punish if you don't like the honest answers.
    4. The poor economy and changes in healthcare will challenge all health organizations. Appreciate employees and they get through the hard times ahead. Can you get passion and loyalty by outsourcing?

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Reputation of Superior Healthcare

Direct Patient Care (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsExcellent Benefits, Great Work Schedule, Affiliation with the best health care system in the area.

ConsLVHN spends an inordinate amount of money on expansion and annexation, then claims that "we are in difficult times due to the Affordable Care Act", and then cuts employee bonuses and raises our health care costs. Will defend spending as "providing better patient care" but seems to fail to understand the effect of decreasing employee morale on patient care. Buildings don't provide excellent patient care, people do!

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time and money maintaining the "biggest" status and focus on rebuilding employee morale. Staffing is critically low in many departments in an effort to "save money" leading to a burnt out work force.

Great face to the community, poor internal experience.

Exercise Physiologist (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsGreat benefits, great pay-rate, great resources, great patients, great reputation. It was an exciting honor to be hired right out of college for my position. Encouragement of furthering education and research was always widely accepted.

ConsPoor management within my individual department. I went through 2 managers in the 4 years I was there, and for any complaints or reviews on the managers were not immediately addressed. It took years to complete internal reviews and see results. I had left the company before appropriate action was taken toward concern that had been voiced while I was there, including favoritism, unfair targeting of employees, poor directorial management and emphasis on numbers and profits rather than patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more closely to the employees in the department, not just the synopsis from the director or head of the department.

IT department is a mess

Migration Tech (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

Prosthey function despite of themselves
    planing is good - implementation not so good

Consthere is no one unified IT department
    there are to many bosses or want to be bosses in the department, team members do their own thing even when instructed not to
    the is no follow through with assignments

Advice to Senior Managementwhen you start a assignment, finish it, don't let team members bail out in the assignment

All around a good employer but has had its growing pains.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

Pros-Awesome benefits package (pay little for benefits compared to other companies, good PTO, sick time accrues, pay out for unused PTO/Sick time when you leave, wellness dollars, retirement plan)
    -Tuition reimbursement
    -Since it's a large company, there is opportunity to grow or move to other departments
    -Organization is always striving to be the best in class, provide value to patients/payers and retain employees
    -I learned A LOT in my profession while during my years there and was provided a lot of opportunity
    -Though small, bonuses tied to performance of entire organization -- felt we all made a difference (as far as I know bonuses in not for profit world are unheard of)
    -Though it was not for profit, I felt I still received competitive salary compared to others in my profession

Cons-As not for profit many employees are stretched very thin in most departments
    -Challenging environment to be "profitable" in...very competitive and heavily regulated
    -For a healthcare company, work-life balance can be quite lacking
    -I struggled to not take work with me -- literally and figuratively
    -Now that I work in for-profit world, I actually feel more connected to community and that I make more of a difference than I did at LVHN...possibly because it is such a large organization and you can feel like a just number
    -Sometimes feel like just a number
    -VERY political, especially where physicians are concerned
    -Don't expect a raise every year
    -Some leadership is simply amazing and inspiring. Other leaders in place you have to wonder how they got there/stay there?

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics and cow-towing to physicians gets very old. "Service" culture is also expected internally and not always effective to serving priorities of network. The organization is so large and there's dotted lines everywhere, you get flustered trying to please everyone, all the time. Priorities are easily blurred and easily rearranged, depending on who is asking for something. Don't forget the community and the positive impact we can make on it. Consider more partnering with for profit world.

Good company but some growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsExcellent benefits including hospital's own health insurance plan.
    Encouragement for education and training.
    Nice co-workers.
    Management seems to be trying hard to support employees.

ConsGrowing very fast and incoming divisions and groups don't feel comfortable. Very large organization.
    People not very good at talking to each other or airing out differences.
    Parking is at remote lots.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve and encourage employee participation.

LVHN experience

Assistant Director of Nursing (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsOverall intent and mission/vision are great. Provides good health benefits. Has many opportunities for education.

ConsActual culture leaves much to be desired. Many units and levels of personnel operate in silos and not as team players. Little incentive to work more than required.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow for creativity and growth by looking beyond the bottom line. LVHN cannot retain nurses and the skill they've built in their GN's by paying them $24/hr.

Great experience, supportive protocols, lower pay, and some poor managers.

Medical Surgical Staff RN (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsMagnet certified. Great Experience. good benefits.

ConsThey expect the world and spread you thin with nothing in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in our shoes for one week!

Worked for Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network? Contribute to the Community!