Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
3.4

Ronald W. Swinfard

Pros
  • Lehigh Valley Health Network is a Great place to work (in 3 reviews)

• I learned A LOT in my profession while during my years there and was provided a lot of opportunity (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Many units and levels of personnel operate in silos and not as team players (in 3 reviews)

• Could easily eliminate 10% of positions and have no adverse effect on patient care (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work with Great Benefits

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits that kick in on the first day of work. free parking. Many programs that support employees. innovative, clean, family friendly, accredited. Many nursing councils within the unit, voluntary participation in any of them. Nurses are involved in decision making and policy changes in the units. Opportunities for Nurses to conduct research and further education. Performance review is tied to your pay. Evaluation done by peers not just management.

Cons

very few minorities in management positions. Low salary.

Create more opportunities for minorities to take leadership positions within nursing.

Beware

Former Employee - None/Nonexistent Due to Outsourcing in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - None/Nonexistent Due to Outsourcing in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally great hospital (for patients and clients) with caring doctors, nurses, staff. Most peers and coworkers were friendly and considerate, worked well together and individually, and were generous in helping each other to ensure extremely high quality output from our department.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits. No chance for advancement or meaningful raises. Deceitful and sometimes under-qualified managers and team leaders. No severance benefits, job placement assistance or retraining for employees who are laid off.

Be mindful of your employees' current and future health and welfare, not just income and profit. Show genuine appreciation for devoted staff who contribute so much to the excellence of the company.

Best Internship!

Former Employee - Organizational Development Research Scholar in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Organizational Development Research Scholar in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best possible internship! LVHN is full of friendly, smart people, especially in their Organizational Development Dept. As an intern they allowed me to get as involved as I wanted to and were always encouraging. I always felt that I was part of the team, even as an intern, which is often not the case with most companies. They gave me a great work and development experience, which helped me take the next step and move on to grad school. I could not be happier with this experience, I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Cons

Needed to get Masters to be hired

Lacks common business sense

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Potential for personal growth within network, great weekend rate, working with great time, hire graduate nurses, Magnet hospital, excellent education opportunities.

Cons

Difficulty getting off night shift, constant disorganization and restructuring, poor raises, low base rate.

It is difficult to see the loss of shared incentive bonuses when staff can see many mismanaged areas. Pulling high paid nursing staff in to cover units as a tech because they are unable to safely act as a nurse is poor management of resources. Policy needs to be established hospital wide not at the whim of a director. There needs to be better accountability of unit managers and a safe environment to vocalize concerns. Additionally, when restructuring, firing or misplacing nurses for a single lab label error is vindictive and goes against your safe incident reporting environment. Many people were displaced or let go because they reported their own lab error and where punished for it.

Good for nurses just starting in the field.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training program for new (graduate) nurses. Good place to start your career.

Cons

Management is not consistent and changes their mind according to what suits them at that time. Certain units are run as though all of their employees are expandable. Hard to get off of night shift.

Good place to work for your first year out of nursing school.

Current Employee - RN in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - RN in Allentown, PA

Pros

Caring floor staff. Good first year experience.

Cons

Low pay, bad management, staff is spread very thin with lots of expectations.

Staff burnout is high and threatening a persons job for every little thing is no way to effectively lead.

Would like it to be the great place to work that it was a few years ago.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time

Pros

Most of the coworkers are excellent and desire to work together to get the job done. In my years here, I've had some outstanding managers and great coworkers who truly care. The pay and benefits are also very good. Excellent care by doctors and nurses.

Cons

Until a few years ago, the culture of the organization had valued quality people as the asset. Even non-clinical staff felt motivated to learn more to benefit LVHN/LVPG and for career advancement. This created a "win-win" situation and sense of loyalty by staff.
    Sadly, this culture seems to be changing. In the last 2-3 years changes in administrators, directors, etc. have brought a new management style. This new trend does not appreciate efforts by employees or address concerns. It appears that employee furloughs, out-sourcing of jobs is the new culture. Employee morale is very low.

1. Look back to what made LVHN/LVPG a great place top work: Loyal, excellent employees that care.
    2. The "R" in "PRIDE" stands for respect. It would be nice for employees to see that again.
    3. Consider the responses to the employee survey, don't punish if you don't like the honest answers.
    4. The poor economy and changes in healthcare will challenge all health organizations. Appreciate employees and they get through the hard times ahead. Can you get passion and loyalty by outsourcing?

Good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of room for growth. Management not bad.

Cons

They seem to be bad at budgeting. They have had several lay-offs in the five years I've been here.

Excellent Reputation of Superior Healthcare

Current Employee - Direct Patient Care in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Patient Care in Allentown, PA

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Great Work Schedule, Affiliation with the best health care system in the area.

Cons

LVHN spends an inordinate amount of money on expansion and annexation, then claims that "we are in difficult times due to the Affordable Care Act", and then cuts employee bonuses and raises our health care costs. Will defend spending as "providing better patient care" but seems to fail to understand the effect of decreasing employee morale on patient care. Buildings don't provide excellent patient care, people do!

Spend less time and money maintaining the "biggest" status and focus on rebuilding employee morale. Staffing is critically low in many departments in an effort to "save money" leading to a burnt out work force.

Great face to the community, poor internal experience.

Former Employee - Exercise Physiologist in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Exercise Physiologist in Allentown, PA

Pros

Great benefits, great pay-rate, great resources, great patients, great reputation. It was an exciting honor to be hired right out of college for my position. Encouragement of furthering education and research was always widely accepted.

Cons

Poor management within my individual department. I went through 2 managers in the 4 years I was there, and for any complaints or reviews on the managers were not immediately addressed. It took years to complete internal reviews and see results. I had left the company before appropriate action was taken toward concern that had been voiced while I was there, including favoritism, unfair targeting of employees, poor directorial management and emphasis on numbers and profits rather than patient care.

Listen more closely to the employees in the department, not just the synopsis from the director or head of the department.