Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network

34 reviews filtered by
  • Allentown, PA
2.9
Ronald W. Swinfard

1. Lots of growth and deterioration in the pharmacy communication.T he hospital has grown immensely causing added stress.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most co-workers get along fine, most of the time.
    Lots of sick time available and quite a bit of vacation time,

Cons

Lots of gossip among co-workers.
    Management does not work on all shifts in all departments. Poor work ethics when managers are not around.
    Unused sick time and vacation time cannot be monetarily reimbursed.

Advice to Management

Manage on-sight 24/7.

2. Overrated place, poor patient care.They concentrate on quantity not Quality.

Former Employee - Radiology in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Radiology in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

near by highway, cafeteria food

Cons

Terrible management, leadership skills. Compensation is below average. HIPPA rules violated all the time, patient care and safety very poor. This place is just overrated. My manager only cared about her paycheck and ignored all issues brought to her.

Advice to Management

Improve the care and safety of patients.

Positive internship experience

Former Intern - Student Intern in Allentown, PA
    Former Intern - Student Intern in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with the therapy department as part of a school internship. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating, as well as great teachers.

Cons

Because my experience was a short internship, I really never found any cons. My experience was positive and I would recommend this place to any colleague.

Low pay, crappy management, no appreciation

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network

Pros

I don't think there are any, anymore.

Cons

They continually raise the cost of health insurance every year. We now make less than we did 2 years ago in salary. They give a 2% raise and then raise health insurance by 5%. I work in one of the doctors offices outside the hospital so I don't know what that is like. But in our office the doctors treat anyone underneath them like crap. Constant berating is the norm. Don't try and use any sick days or vacation eventhough you have 5 weeks or more. They act like that is a cardinal sin and will write you up for using it. Even taking time off for your kids doctors appointments is frowned on. I don't know who wrote the 5 star reviews, but it is either upper managment writing them or managers favorites within departments that can pretty much do what they want. The reviews that say don't complain about your manager in the surveys is 100% correct. You will shortly see yourself escorted out of the office. I have seen it 3 times so far so nobody that has been here for more than a year says anthing in those surveys. I am not sure how the state of PA let's them get away with the way employees are treated. I have seen it first hand and I blame the board of directors! They hired these executives and they can fire them. I find it hard to believe that none of the board reads these reviews. I guess the almighty profit is more important than the employees and the patience. I have over stayed my time here as I can't take it anymore and now am looking for a company that actually respects the people that work for them.

Advice to Management

Maybe all the executives should resign, bring in new exec's and middle managers, fire the office managers and promote the people who actually care and do the work.

6. Great people and beautiful hospital

Former Employee - Support Center Analyst in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Support Center Analyst in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits aren't bad. Competitive pay. Great people to work with.

Cons

They usually hire contract employees for site techs which seems unfair. There is no "fun" to the job especially in the tech department. It just seemed like you were going to the same job everyday and nothing changed.

Advice to Management

I would like to see the work day change daily. Add in special events or trips for some of the department and start spending some budget money on your employees rather then making the hospitals looks hi tech.

Great in the beginning, but company is losing their reputation as a great employer!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Pros

In the beginning, it was the best place I have ever worked. I never had a bad day, employees genuinely seemed to love their jobs and it was an overall fun place to work with a great culture. Gained a lot of great experience working there.

Cons

Over time, Senior Management seemed to lose sight of their great culture and staff doesn't seem as important to them as it once was. Some employees get treated much better than others, especially those who seem to take advantage of the company and their Manager. The employees who truly put in more time than required, are dedicated and top performers are never recognized or acknowledged. The poor performers tend to rise to the top somehow. They continue to let their great employees walk out the door and are left with people who stay because they have nowhere else to go. It seems acceptable for some employees who are exempt to work 4-5 hours a day while others are putting in 10+ yet the workload is never balanced out. Poor opportunities for advancing within the company, let alone your own department. Positions are often posted, but internal candidates are overlooked. In some cases, employees are good enough to fill in for a position, but only until they find an external candidate to fill the position.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to what is going on around you. You have some great employees and they will continue to leave if the culture continues to go downhill as it has been for the past 1-2 years. Taking care of the patient is top priority, but that can't be done without the employees who genuinely care and are there for that reason, versus the ones who are there because they can work when they want, go to personal appointments all the time during the day and are only concerned with the flexibility of their job.

8. Great place to work with Great Benefits

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits that kick in on the first day of work. free parking. Many programs that support employees. innovative, clean, family friendly, accredited. Many nursing councils within the unit, voluntary participation in any of them. Nurses are involved in decision making and policy changes in the units. Opportunities for Nurses to conduct research and further education. Performance review is tied to your pay. Evaluation done by peers not just management.

Cons

very few minorities in management positions. Low salary.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for minorities to take leadership positions within nursing.

9. Best Internship!

Former Intern - Organizational Development Research Scholar in Allentown, PA
    Former Intern - Organizational Development Research Scholar in Allentown, PA

Pros

The best possible internship! LVHN is full of friendly, smart people, especially in their Organizational Development Dept. As an intern they allowed me to get as involved as I wanted to and were always encouraging. I always felt that I was part of the team, even as an intern, which is often not the case with most companies. They gave me a great work and development experience, which helped me take the next step and move on to grad school. I could not be happier with this experience, I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Cons

Needed to get Masters to be hired

Beware

Former Employee - None/Nonexistent Due to Outsourcing in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - None/Nonexistent Due to Outsourcing in Allentown, PA

Pros

Generally great hospital (for patients and clients) with caring doctors, nurses, staff. Most peers and coworkers were friendly and considerate, worked well together and individually, and were generous in helping each other to ensure extremely high quality output from our department.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits. No chance for advancement or meaningful raises. Deceitful and sometimes under-qualified managers and team leaders. No severance benefits, job placement assistance or retraining for employees who are laid off.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of your employees' current and future health and welfare, not just income and profit. Show genuine appreciation for devoted staff who contribute so much to the excellence of the company.

Lacks common business sense

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential for personal growth within network, great weekend rate, working with great time, hire graduate nurses, Magnet hospital, excellent education opportunities.

Cons

Difficulty getting off night shift, constant disorganization and restructuring, poor raises, low base rate.

Advice to Management

It is difficult to see the loss of shared incentive bonuses when staff can see many mismanaged areas. Pulling high paid nursing staff in to cover units as a tech because they are unable to safely act as a nurse is poor management of resources. Policy needs to be established hospital wide not at the whim of a director. There needs to be better accountability of unit managers and a safe environment to vocalize concerns. Additionally, when restructuring, firing or misplacing nurses for a single lab label error is vindictive and goes against your safe incident reporting environment. Many people were displaced or let go because they reported their own lab error and where punished for it.