Lehman Brothers

www.lehman.com

Lehman Brothers Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Lehman Brothers CEO Richard Fuld Jr.

Richard Fuld Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and financial packet(in 14 reviews)

• Ahead of other investment banks in promotion of women(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers show no sympathy for junior people for working ultra long hours(in 18 reviews)

• Towards the end there was morebegoninvolved by he senior management and that led to the rims downfall(in 14 reviews)

Lehman is simply the best place to build a career

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsIt is a strong brand. One of the best investment banks to work for. It cares for its employees and is very receptive to ideas. Seniors demonstrate a lot of respect for ideas and it is a meritocracy in the true sense.
    There is a sense of achievement in working at the place and there is constant recognition. Work is invariably suitably rewarded.

There is a great amount of knowledge sharing across teams and across division and regions.

Besides the professional front, there is a lot of extracurricular activities and philantrophy related activities that the firm encourages you to be a part of and is extremely supportive.

ConsIt is one of the smallest of the investment banks. It is never a concern for me, but could be for some others. There are very few downsides that i can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job. Take the company through this tough time and back on the way to the top of the pyramid.

Lehman Brothers - A Truly Great Place to Work

Corporate Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTremendous opportunity to develop yourself. You don't realize until you work at an investment bank, how many opportunities there are for work, aside from number crunching and research. You can do practically anything at an investment bank - IT, Marketing, Leadership Development, Diversity, etc. There really is tremendous opportunity to immerse yourself when you come to a place like Lehman Brothers. Lehman Brothers is a very inclusive place to work - they do not discriminate and the Firm has a very unique culture that sets its apart from other places on the "street". The attitude is that everybody is a stakeholder in the company and that it really is our responsibility, each and every employee, to take ownership and want to see the company succeed.

ConsThe one downside would definitely be the hours. New York is known as a city that never sleeps and although this reputation may be a little exaggerated, I think that people who work in Financial Services in general, are all pretty hard working folks, who tend to put in the long hours. Hardly any weekends as you start to move up the "food chain", however when something is expected of you, you take however much time you need to do your best work possible and if that means that you need to stay in the office till 9 or 10 a few nights, you do it. Lehman overall though really forces its employees to strike as much of a work/life balance as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat compensation, although in line with other "shops" - needs to be bumped up. Especially at the very junior level. Living in NYC is very expensive and with the compensation that 1st and 2nd year analysts (excluding Investment Banking - who make a tremendous bonus), make, it is nearly impossible to live in NYC without going into more debt after college. I think a raise by $10-$15K would make all the difference in the world. . .Kind of funny how that number is so nominal, when you compare it to the compensation of senior folks who earn anywhere from $10MM upwards to $25MM & beyond.

Good experience at the time

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood culture/ reputation at the time

ConsFirm took too much risk

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good - but no long term longetivity due to it being a company in administration

Vice President (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat work life balance and financial packet

ConsI cannot present any cons to this company given that the company is winding down

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to share

Great Experience

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people, challenging environment with career growth opportunities and strong mentors!

ConsLack of work life balance

I work for Lehman Bros.

Aviation (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMoney, Location, Culture, People, great team

ConsBankruptcy, Long hours, management too aggressive with risk, greed, and cut-throat policies

Advice to Senior Managementtoo late for that

analyst / structuring

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat people, gave lots of responsibility early on

Conshard to move laterally between desks

Built derivatives trades reconciliation/valuation models

Prosgreat company with lots of smart people

Constoo big that you are not noticable to senior management

Great culture and people; company ruined by management at the very top

Research Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFast-paced environment
    Great culture and benefits
    Good career mobility
    Research department is very collegial

ConsBankruptcy
    Times Square location
    Long hours
    Top management too aggressive with risk

Advice to Senior ManagementTake less risk

Enjoyed my time there

Senior Vice President, Investment Banking (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery good compensation, fair amount of autonomy from management, enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Ahead of other investment banks in promotion of women.

ConsToo many lateral hires caused culture to be poorly defined; there were disparate values among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late now, but I would have suggested trying to grow more from within.

Worked for Lehman Brothers? Contribute to the Community!