Lehman Brothers Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Working for the Lehman Brothers Administration - post 2008

I worked at Lehman Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. It pays the bills and to be honest remuneration is not that bad given the market conditions. In addition, if you like to doss around, this is great for you as there is not much work on

Cons

No progression - you work yourself out of a job. Management is rude, confused and only concerned with maintaining their positions / status quo. No real work to do

Advice to Management

End this charade as soon as possible

2. Good analyst program

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Good analyst program with a standard investment bank new york training to begin the career. good team of people

Cons

company bankrupted... that should explain everything. this part is less relevant

3. Good firm but needs to develop more

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

I have worked with some of the most intelligent people while at Lehman. While there, I was able to enhance my own skills and abilities, while learning a new product that was "hot" in the market.

Cons

The culture and atmosphere was a major downside in my opinion. It has the "old-school" investment banking culture and did not present a welcoming enrivonment. I do not believe they promoted a work-life balance, and management did not seem to care about personal responsibilities, but more of the bottom-line and doing whatever it takes to get the work done attitude, which included long hours and weekend work as part of the norm. I think Lehman tries to promote itself in the same lines as the top investment bank in the market, but comes short because they fail to understand that it takes more than just pushing your people to be productive, it comes with how the firm takes care of their people, which again Lehman fails at.

Advice to Management

I would suggest listening to your people more and paying more attention to how hard they are working and rewarding for their dedication. They should manage as their own individual firm and business, and not manage in hopes to "catching" the firms ahead of us, caring more about their people as much as their place in the market place will help them maintain their talent.

5. Ugh

Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

It was a prestigious place to work

Cons

It's a very mercenary environment filled with political intrigue. Everything was always very resourced constrained to the point of being idiotic. Getting small expenses approved likely required more overhead than the actual expense involved (e.g. It would takes months to get an $100 expense approved)

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow, in the sense that a mercenary culture inevitably leads to short-termism. My department was rather directionless and I think this reflects the uncertainty in the minds of management

6. Join LEH if you are a workaholic

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Competitive Salary - Free Coffee and Tea

Cons

Dealing with manual process which is totally not value-added to your career in the street. Long hours - can get calls or ask to work during weekends. Senior managers have scope but middle managers have no clue how to excecute.

Advice to Management

Need to bring Lehman internal control to be more in line with the other firms in the street. Should adopt more new blood from the outside world in order to bring in more colors and ideas to the firm.

Greedy Top Executives Wildly Overpaid, Everyone Else Gets Screwed

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Met some really great people.

Cons

Cheap in paying people. We would get e-mails and see postings around the firm every day saying how great we were and that we're #1 in all types of rankings, but it never translated into pay for the average worker. And now in hindsight, upper management was completely incompetent and way overpaid. Greed won out over prudent risk management, but it's the average worker that got hurt the most. Upper management misrepresented the firm and lied to us as they paid themselves first. Then the Bankruptcy - it was bad enough getting laid off, but now they aren't honoring the severance packages.

Advice to Management

Take a huge salary cut - you don't deserve it for what you did to an otherwise good firm and how you ruined so many lives with the bankruptcy, loss of severance, loss of stocks, loss of 401k. There's no way for you to justify your compensation. Especially Dick Fuld - $71.9 million total comp in 07? How does he sleep at night?

8. Lehman Brothers, Bankruptcy and one summer.

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Littleton, CO

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Lehman pays well and has excellent benefits. They also provide all employees with investment research for free. The firm had a history and track record of doing the right things. Lehman did provide training for the job. Upper level managers are generally well trained.

Cons

They are bankrupt and my paycheck was late and effected by the bankruptcy. My direct supervisor was a pretty poor. His boss was great. I do think my internship coincided with a bad time for the company and a bad time personally for my direct supervisor. Unfortunately in the summer of 2008 management had bigger fish to fry than a poor line supervisor at ALS.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to be more candid and straightforward with employees.

glad i got of there

Former Employee - Summer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

looked great on resume. i learned a lot about financial marketing, industry players, and key executive people. nice location to work, and the mentorship programs was nice too.

Cons

well, it tanked. it could not be that great of a company if it had to close. some upper management were cocky. other times, it felt like the old boy network. if you are a woman, you have to work extra hard to prove your worth

Advice to Management

well, you guys dont exist any more. so my advice is to find another job and dont mess up the next organization.

10. Unchallenging and mildly pleasant place to work.

Former Employee - Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Lots of food around the office. Fast elevators to whisk you in and out. Some great people around to work with.

Cons

Aside from working at the flashpoint of the subprime financial meltdown, it's the incredibly political, aggressive environment. It's the kind of job you don't really need to think about.

Advice to Management

Give something back.

11. Very Hierarchical structure, CEO & COO weren't honest with employees

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

An environment where you could learn a lot

Cons

Political environment made it difficult for people to be honest

RSS Feed </> Embed