Lehman Brothers Reviews

1. Excellent

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Superb work environment, excellent culture, pay master. Have opportunities to grow. It is one of the best companies to work with.

Cons

People seeking onsite opportunities will be disappointed as they don't have much. Moreover, you can't think of long term onsite opportunities, as they had setup business in India to reduce cost.

Advice to Management

Communication should be more clear and less risk should be taken by the management. Moreover, employees should be given stock option which can be en cashed soon.

2. it was a great place to work

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

everyone was a team and pulled together to get projects completed

Cons

some people didn't do their work.

Advice to Management

at times the groups were cliques and lots are favorites

3. I miss Lehman Brothers

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Great Benefits ,Great Culture,Diversified. I enjoyed management and the company was very laid back

Cons

Long Hours
    Hard to move up

Advice to Management

It was the best bank

5. May she rest in peace

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

-Extremely fast-track in terms of compensation growth
    -Strong encouragement to learn and gain certifications
    -People who work there were the best part of Lehman

Cons

-Work can become monotonous after the learning curve levels
    -Working with demanding clients can be challenging
    -Tough to move from mid/back-office to front-office roles

Advice to Management

Provide more open lines of communication from the trenches so that ideas flow more readily. This will facilitate process improvements, etc...

6. Great place to work, will be there forever

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Very good management who dont like to take a lot of risk. Conservative and honest people who are always upfront with everyone.

Cons

Can't really think of any. They never chase Goldman or the other investment banks. They are just focused on being the best they can be while doing it with tons of integrity.

Advice to Management

bGreat jon

7. Great firm; it's a damn shame...

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Entrpreneurial spirit and team work were amazing. There was a real sense of ownership and can do spirit. People really worked for the good of the firm

Cons

It is a damn shame that senior management let the real estate group put so many bad assets on our balance sheet. I'm so proud to have worked there

Advice to Management

The president of the company should focus on the actual business and take feedback from the people in the trenches.

ONE FIRM - sad to see them go

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Small group in California
    Really cooperative between different groups (research, investment banking, venture capital)
    Great access to research resources
    Great medical / dental / vision benefits
    AmEx dinner expenses for late work nights

Cons

Very long hours (fortunately with very smart, talented people)
    Lots of bureaucracy and red tape for many simple work processes
    Went bankrupt

Advice to Management

Maintain collaborative culture and openness

9. Best place I ever worked. I'm heartbroken that it's over.

Former Employee - Vice President Technology
    Former Employee - Vice President Technology

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

The culture was great. They hired the best and the brightest, and I worked with some of the most talented engineers and managers that I ever encountered. We were encouraged to take an entrepreneurial approach to our work in IT, and were rewarded for it when the system or app generated revenue or furthered the business' objectives.

There was great opportunity to network thru several diversity groups. Training and education was encouraged and readily available. They fully supported work-life balance and work from home (job - permitting, of course).

The work was hard, the hours were long, and the rewards were great. At the end of a day, I left the office exhausted and proud of what my team accomplished. It was the best 10 years of my working career. I met and worked with some remarkable individuals and established professional and personal friendships with people I will treasure, always.

Cons

Biggest downside: The bankruptcy. It is incredibly sad. Barclays should have been a silver lining, but sadly, the great things about Lehman and it's culture did not carry over after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

I'm with you in wishing the clock could be stopped or rolled back to before the collapse. I wish it could have gone on forever.

10. A great place to work, period.

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

They are no longer around but I am sure Barclays will be the same way. Great pay, communication and training programs. Tons of perks and a highly well run company, very professional. Everything had its own "Lehmanized" feeling to it. The background check was highly thorough and extensive. The training was highly helpful and learning the material was fairly easy thanks to great teachers. Overall, the company was willing to work with you over hours and other accommodations, but highly frowned upon bad decision making.

Cons

They closed, so no opportunity for growth. They also did not offer me any benefits, but I believe there benefit programs are usually top notch

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but perhaps be a little better at communicating

11. Great people and office, but tough hours

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Lehman Brothers

Pros

The people in the office are great, although turnover is high given the nature of the industry. There is great deal flow and not so much face time as required by other firms, especially becuase it is in the west coast. Lots of industry coverage within the technology group, so you won't be confined just to semiconductors, or internet, for example. The office is pretty nice as well. There is also a good amount of diversity in terms of people's background. Work / life balance was okay as the staffer was pretty accomodating to personal vacation schedules, to a certain extent.

Cons

Obviously, banking hours are tough and unpredictable, and this is true at Lehman Brothers too. Also, there is lot of competition from Goldman, Morgan, etc., so you won't always see the office get hired for the biggest or most prestigious deals. Compensation at Lehman, overall, seemed to be lower than other firms, so hopefully it will be better now at Barclays. This is mainly as a firm overall, not the Menlo Park office. Finally, being in Menlo Park, you are more of a satellite office, with the other half of the tech group being baesd in New York City, NY.

Advice to Management

Better compensation

RSS Feed </> Embed