Leidos
www.leidos.com Reston, VA 5000+ Employees

Leidos Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014
Leidos – Reston – “Bandy”

John P. Jumper

Solid company that has helped grow my career

I have been working at Leidos full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI am blessed to be a part of an incredible team. We are a team in the true sense of the word. I feel my manager and my manager's manager truly care about me and my career goals and do their best to expand and grow my skills. I feel very cared for. While there has been a great deal of change during the 10 years I have been with Leidos, I would not want to work for anyone else. Great compensation. Terrific work/life balance. Very focused on ethics.

ConsAs mentioned above, there has been quite a bit of change at Leidos over the years (new CEO's, splitting of SAIC into two companies). That has created a feeling of instability at times, and there has been some frustration over changing benefits and streamlining of processes. This is probably fairly normal, as all companies must go through changes, but I get the feeling many employees are stressed and morale is lower than it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope upper management continues to be thoughtful, sensible and deliberate in their choices and communication. Try to lessen the changes and let employees breathe, and feel less stressed about potential changes/instabilities.

Employees are great, pay and benefits, not so much.

Contractor (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH

I have been working at Leidos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company allows me to do my job on base with few problems. I receive support from my supervisor when it's needed.

ConsI understand the company to be struggling a bit but keeping pay and benefits down for people charging to contracts is a bad business model. People who are happy jump on opportunities they hear about in Government facilities and try and bring in people they know to fill Government needs through their own company. People who feel their benefits and pay aren't up to par don't go out of their way to do this. As a contract employee over some years, I see this sort of thing happening all the time. Growing, successful companies are those that keep their workers happy. Healthcare was lessened, 401k match lowered, long term disability dumped, raises kept low, and top leadership is bailing out. As an employee, this makes me concerned for the company's long term prospects.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the health insurance, it's poor. Watch for large disparities between pay rates and billing rates. Make that too large and people will leave. They know the score. Other companies can do the work and often the Government doesn't care at all about a few dollars "saved" in billing rates. The long term strategy of keeping employees happy beats the short term strategy of minimizing pay and benefits.

Ok Company - Decreasing salaries, decent benefits iffy Mgt.

Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Leidos full-time for less than a year

Pros- Ok compensation but like others, they have been decreasing their salaries. Try to negotiate and find out their 'max' compensation amount.
-Ok benefits .. they will match half the amount of 6% of your paycheck. IE if you contribute 1000, they will match 500.
-and yes, like MOST of these contracting companies, they seem to only care about billable hours. You're just a number to them.

ConsManagement iffy. The management i have do not socialize much with the workers that are not directly subordinate. Therefore my Pay raise that was suggested by my team lead was rejected by upper management since he didn't feel as strongly. Upper management only says hi to me in passing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with your employees (worker bees) and develop a relationship with them, not just your direct subordinates.

Pays well.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Leidos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked at SAIC/Leidos for nearly 5 years.
* Pays well
* Lots of autonomy. Sink or swim on your own.

Cons* Out of pocket healthcare expenses have risen by over $1000 a month for my family in the last four years.
* Don't expect a lot of feedback from management.
* Low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time removing obstacles than changing titles or organization names.

Overall, good company to work for.

Billing Analyst (Current Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Leidos full-time for less than a year

ProsVarious job opportunities, but this is only becuase they moved all financial services to Tucson, which opened up a lot of hiring.

ConsMust work overtime. Very large workload, with tight deadlines.

16 Years - Good and Bad. Would loved to have stayed. Beware of loosing coverage....

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Leidos full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI marginally recommend working for SAIC/Leidos but beware of lost contracts, loosing coverage and being laid-off!!! The original "Beyster" corporate culture, "sense of family" and ethical behaviors were the best attracting features. Compensation always seemed to follow productivity and quality. The people above and blow the chain-of-command were mostly outstanding. I walk away with a company-paid-for college degrees and certificates.

ConsSadly there did not seem to be much motivation to retain a 16-year employee at the spin-off but such are the inherent risks with "contract work". Contract work is not for the faint-hearted. When the coverage ends, expect to be laid-off. Did not seem that much was being done to find me coverage. I would have hoped for some more loyalty and effort to assist me in my efforts to coverage but obviously it did not happen. Only 4 weeks allowed for being on the bench before the laid-off. No severance and limited/simplistic career transition support.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining top performers should be a higher priority. Decreased benefits dramatically increased out-of-pocket costs. If you are not in DC, then career opportunities are very limited. Increase the work/contract pipeline outside of the DC area.

Small business opportunities

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Leidos full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLeidos is a big company so the experience will vary, but what I have experienced (even when it was SAIC) is that Leidos (on the government side) could be like a collection of small companies. If you are able to foster a good relationship with your customer and gain respect and a good reputation with your customer and domain, you may have the opportunity to grow more business on your own with corporate backing.

ConsCorporate perks such as the holiday/winter party, summer party, bonuses, .etc. have been cut due to cost cutting.

Great Company to Work For

Log Analyst (Current Employee)
Warren, MI

I have been working at Leidos full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI've been working for Leidos for over 7 years and have nothing but great things to say about the company, the people it employs and the overall culture. If you are willing to move around your options are limitless.

ConsNot really a con but in today's DOD budget constrained economy things are tight. The company does try everything that it can to keep employees by moving them to other open positions. Career advancement and training is available if you ask for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and continue providing the open communication. We can get thru this!!

Experiencing "growing pains"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Leidos full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of my experience with this company was with SAIC, which split into 2 companies resulting in Leidos coming into fruition. I was given many opportunities to evolve and grow. Thankful for the experience I had while working there.

ConsThe company is working on streamlining their administrative/functional staff and has not found the right balance. Many layoffs going on.

Good people

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee)
Billerica, MA

I have been working at Leidos full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting projects, strong professional team, good management.

ConsUnstable funding situation adds to the overall employment insecurity.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time working on the new business development!!!

Worked for Leidos? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Leidos reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Leidos CEO John P. Jumper. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Leidos employees.