Leighton Contractors
www.leightoncontractors.com.au North Sydney, Australia 5000+ Employees

Leighton Contractors Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Leighton Contractors – Chennai – “Leighton Contractors”

Craig Laslett

Good company, but with significant changes happening in terms of redundancy, job cuts and offshoring happening...

I have been working at Leighton Contractors full-time

ProsThe company's MD and HR always tries to incentive best working environment, great teams and people. Great opportunities to move/grow internally.

ConsThe company tries to push the "Work Life Balance" value but, in most of the cases, doesn't really get through as it ends up depending on the pressure push by management.
Company is currently facing many changes that creates instability feeling across the board. Many redundancies, job cuts, teams being sent to offshore and more to happen along 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep solid decisions and directions instead having to constant paths changes and new priorities. That turns into "wasting" days or moths of efforts and resources due to lack of planning.
This, by itself turns into lack of results.
Try to maintain / retain the company's key values: Employees.
Also, try to listen what they what to say...

If you're not cut throat, you're no one

I worked at Leighton Contractors as a contractor

ProsLocation and salary were good.

ConsVery inflexible hard nose culture no work life balance. No recognition or support of people. High turnover of good people and very toxic environment. Lots of bullying behaviour. Do not recommend.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after good people not just yourselves and you might make the changes you need to keep this business viable.

Good at recruiting talent but management have little appreciation of it, the result is a high turnover of skilled staff

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Leighton Contractors full-time

ProsBig Project Exposure, a Leading Safety Culture, and a Professional Organisation

ConsWork/Life Balance is more work than life, which is fine but don't expect thanks or recognition for it

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy so serious all the time?

Finance

Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Leighton Contractors full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a big company

ConsIt is not what you know it is who you know to get ahead or respect

Advice to Senior ManagementLisyern to your employees and not consultants who use you as a meal ticket

Worst experience of harassment and bullying ever!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Leighton Contractors as a contractor for less than a year

Prosa large company with a lot of options to move internally. many of the employees were fantastic, however my experience with my direct reports was vial and inappropriate.

ConsThere is significant cut backs on jobs and offshore decisions to be made, so a lot of redundancies will occur for 2014, and no increase in salaries. A salary freeze has started.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive by your values as on your website. A majority of people in the organisation were amazing to work with, however when advising management of harrassment I had gone through, the best decision was the weakest link me. false allegations and ruining my professional reputation. When employees bully other staff which is clear to other colleagues and supported by the team manager it is collusion and very unacceptable management practices.

The restructures should look at employees and how long they have worked for the company. Some people over 3 - 5 years should be retrenched if they are bad apples. In my case I have a clear case legally which I think the company was aware of. I.T should look at the behaviour of the management, if there is regular behaviour like this particularly from long term employees and ones who may be on maternity leave.

I believe individuals who perpetuate this behaviour will eventually have their day!

Lost

I worked at Leighton Contractors

ProsThe drive by the MD towards a value-based culture is great. He is sincere and genuine in his efforts, but unfortunately others find it difficult to change their ways.

ConsChange is virtually impossible. Too many kings of their own domain, each vying to maintain their past life, while resting on past victories. A primer in Finance 101 would be really useful (particularly if those who don't pass the class are asked to go).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking for change and then sitting back and doing so little to advocate it. You've built an organisation that recognises only heirarchy, rather than the merit of the idea. Your staff have all but given up on attempting to innovate.

Great reputation and varied work opportunities

Manager (Current Employee)
Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Leighton Contractors full-time for less than a year

ProsSize, as part of Leighton Holdings, has almost 40% of market share in infrastructure, energy, construction and mining contracts - therefore wide variety of national and increasingly international work

ConsHighly competitive market with less project opportunities now than 12 months ago

Advice to Senior ManagementHold onto your good people and move them around the business to where their skills are needed rather than hire new people. Don't compete with your sister companies. Use your size to your advantage.

Engineering management

I have been working at Leighton Contractors

Proswell structured site team for effective site and cosntruction management
Team play, understanding of works beyond our scopes are possible, can have diversified work experience

Consjob security is of main concern

Soul Lost Along the Way

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Leighton Contractors full-time for less than a year

ProsCapability to do great things

Consbut they do poorly...safety records indicate how much there is care for people at coalface...

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't kill goose that lays the eggs...

i am ashraf kariodath

Driver (Current Employee)
Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Leighton Contractors as a contractor for more than 3 years

Prosgood salery, good behavier, good fecilities almost good but manage ment never care of drivers.

Conscompany (abudhabi) not give any benefits to drivers, like bonous ,incriment ect:

Advice to Senior Managementcompany avoiding from every benefits for drivers, i am still working as driver in uae.
pls consider of drivers as staff its a request thanks,

Worked for Leighton Contractors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Leighton Contractors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Leighton Contractors CEO Craig Laslett. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Leighton Contractors employees.