LendingTree Reviews

LendingTree Chairman and CEO Doug Lebda
Doug Lebda

A letdown

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

Charlotte office seems like its a much better environment than Burlingame office.

Cons

- Some people in the marketing team are outright fools
    - Pettiness
    - Politics
    - Other bs
    - Every single day I ask myself how certain people were ever promoted
    - Some people ruin it for everyone

Don't be afraid to fire marketing managers who don't meet your goals.

Decent place to work

I worked at LendingTree as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Best part about this company was not having to dress up. Wear jeans and tennis shoes every day if you want or have a beer after work if you feel like it. Coworkers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Can't list much since I wasn't there long but they don't hire full timers for entry level development positions. Also the daily meetings are a bit mundane.

Some positives, Negatives far outweighed for me

Former Employee - Banker in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Banker in Louisville, KY

I worked at LendingTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare plan
    Locations
    managers care, hands are often tied w higher level management and company objectives

Cons

Do not care about employees
    Do not care about clients
    Only care about the companies objectives/gains

May be my favorite place to have worked, wish I was still there.

I worked at LendingTree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the culture there! as many stated before me, they have a work hard play hard culture that I really enjoyed. I was employed when the economy wasn't that great and a lot of long time employee's were at their breaking points and complained a lot.

As a new hire, I enjoyed what they tried to do and even though a lot things were cut out and put on hold, the perks that were still in effect made the place enjoyable. I can only imagine how much enjoyment I wouldve gotten from Lendingtree in a good economy!

Also there were lots of opportunities to gain experience in areas beyond your position if you put in the effort.

Cons

Pay was a little low and there was a pay increase freeze when I was there. Also people were getting laid off almost daily (more due to the economy than the company) which made things scary every day.

I had no problems with management...Hire me again I guess I would say

Great business model at first - fairly irrelevant now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location is convenient to highway

Cons

"When banks compete, you win" is something that was innovative at one time. Now, there are many competitors and copycats. It seems LendingTree is just a big lead generation affiliate for the banks and is only valuable when the banks need more leads. Right now, they don't need LendingTree.

Awful!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at LendingTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was promised great money and a future.

Cons

I was the #1 sales person in my division, never got the raise I was promised, got promoted with no raise, had sales stolen from me, had to prove I earned my commissions repeatedly to get paid on them with no apologies, ever. If you're a 24/7 brown noser, like to be constantly belittled, like fighting for every sale you make and the commissions promised for them, like to be severely micro-managed...than this is the company for you! Otherwise, you have been warned! The company's stock value has gone in the toilet over the last couple of years and they are no longer a Fortune 500 or 1000 company. No surprise since only management gets the big bonuses and they never listen to the people out in the trenches.

Get real! Quit playing favorites and listening to gossip. Different divisions deal with different challenges and you cannot have a "cookie cutter" approach with all sales and clients! Trust your people and quit being so cheap!

A weeping willow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun energetic place to work for many years. It had a work hard/play hard atmosphere.

Cons

The market downturn revealed its weak leadership, years of weak attempts at diversification, lack of focus, and no real direction.

Move on.

Fun Hard Work

Former Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I worked at LendingTree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're looking for a casual dress work atmosphere, LendingTree is that. Everyone works hard but has fun as well.

Cons

Feeling ackward wearing an expensive suit.

Awesome place to work. Tons of opportunities and more than anything, awesome people

Current Employee - Vice President in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at LendingTree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- A great brand which consumers know about
    - A good focus on doing right thing for consumers
    - Good comp package
    - Open environment

Cons

- Company is going through the transition after the sale of Lending Tree Loans. Now it is becoming like more like a pure play internet company. So expect some transition pains. Should go away in Q3/Q4 of 2012.

Toxic Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

There are no pros to working at Tree.com/LendingTree. If you are reading this and you are considering applying for a position here, I would highly recommend that you seek employment elsewhere. You will be miserable in this working environment. I am currently looking at other employment options and I know for a fact that several other employees are looking around at other companies as well.

Cons

The management at Tree.com/LendingTree has no control over costs and they have no clear direction. They are trying to get back to their "startup" roots. This is code for " being cheap". Salaries are below industry average unless you are a top executive. The only way they can lure top executives to Tree is to pay them alot of money. There is high turnover at the entry, middle and executive levels. The CEO is also the Chairman. This is a huge conflict of interest, in my opinion. The CEO claims to have an open-door policy. He tries to act like a cool "startup" CEO by working out of a cubicle. The irony is that he never, EVER walks around and talks to employees and he is not a very approachable person.

Stop being so arrogant and stubborn. Start being honest with your employees and stop screwing them when it comes to their pay. Also, don't talk bad/insult former employees when they leave the company. This is terrible for morale.