LendingTree Reviews

Not so hot anymore.....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

The co-workers are great. Willing to chip in whereever they feel they are needed.

Cons

Way too many politics lately and not enough concern regarding loosing good employees. Would rather spend the buck than save it and save jobs.

Look at other ways to cut expenses instead of job cuts. There are other ways out of a slump, you just have to be open minded enough to find them.

Fast and fun company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

Lots of great benefits and incentives for employees.

Cons

Lots of pressure and turnover monthly.

Keep it fun and exciting.

A slow steady decline since late 2007.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

Good work\life balance and decent benefits. Brand recognition to where you work. Possible rebound in 2012+ if economy improves. Creativity is valued.

Cons

Positions are stretched too thin in some areas. Depending on department don't expect much in professional development.

Too much talent has exited LendingTree along with its experienced, but average, upper management. Those remaining are either not capable or instill little confidence in their direction and decision making. Business best practices and planning are being ignored for the sake of any new technical trend or revenue stream. Way too much revenue has been wasted over seven years on a certain business model that has never returned a profit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

To LT or Not....

Current Employee - Director  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

Flexible, opportunity to learn and experience online marketing with a strong and recognized brand. Depending on the role, decent work life balance. Good people over all.

Cons

Communication is weak, resources are extremely limited for IT projects. Compensation is definitely an issue. Mortgage business is very volatile in this market.

I think the biggest issue currently is the lack of communication for Sr. management to the organization on the true goals and directions of the company.

Aggressively Competitive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

Lending Tree was an interesting enviornment to work. They are focused on company growth and efficiencies, at the expense of the team working there. On the fairness side, any level of employee or executive can be praised, promoted or let go dependant on the quarterly report.

Cons

Taking the call centers out of the equation, turnover is high with a strong reluctance to replace those that have left. Quarterly earnings reports usually meant some type of reduction in force. Communication is very poor due to, in my opinion, the internal politics that have business units in competition with each other for resources.

Open door policies mean you talk to someone if they come to you. Make an effort to go out to the employees at all levels and discuss the company, the goals and how you will measure those goals and how you will be accountable. Act on suggestions. Become a community leader.

A brand and product that could have been so much better.

Former Employee - Product  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Product in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

For some, its a great location. In some specific instances, there are good opportunities to learn.

Cons

Questionable direction may ultimately lead the company into the tank and the Brand value is deteriorating, so its not exactly a resume boost as I believe it once was. Current and former execs seem to be the only ones that somehow seem able to capitalize on the past successes. Unless there is some great turnaround in focus and execution, the best days are behind it.

Real leadership has been absent from LendingTree for most of its history. Good performance in the past was largely a function of a crazy good market. Most of the execs throughout the past and present have been too interested in boosting their own bottom line instead of building a focused company with a strong foundation that truly provides value to customers on both sides of its business. Past leadership put too many obstacles in the way of real innovation. There was too much focus on short term revenue tweaks and not the customer. Now the founder is back at the helm and is playing the puppetmaster, The market wind is not at your back this time, but if you focus on the customer and provide real value, you can win despite the conditions.

Don't kill the brand that everyone knows you for by draining its resources to use for an ambiguous, unfocused, unrealistic plan of being the everything to everyone internet lead generator. I know you think you've got something Google is not offering, but in the everything/everyone category you've got a big set if you think you are going to best them (Google) at that.

Maybe I'll check in few years to see how that plan is working out for you. There are way too many players out there trying to exploit the SEO/SEM internet marketing game and not adding any real value. Please don't be just another one of the those as we have enough people/companies in this world that do nothing but transfer money around and produce nothing for it.

Ups and Downs in the economy spoil a good work environment

Former Employee - Database Developer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Database Developer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

Fantastic co-workers, friendly environment, good benefits, always something interesting to work on

Cons

Mixed levels of experience in management, too much work for too little people

Value your employees, look for new ways to recognize loyalty and performance.

The "tree" was a great place back in 2006

Former Employee - Customer Care Consultant  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Care Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

The camaraderie among co-workers was among the best i've experienced in a workplace environment. Lending Tree the time, rewarded top performers with incentives. Opportunities were also available to take on additional responsibility to prove your leader ship ability.

Cons

A call center environment can be very constricting if you require flexibility in your workday. IE lunches and breaks.

Overall I found management to be supportive and easy to access. The one bad apple I did experience was dealt with swiftly by his manager. Continue to treat your employees with dignity and respect and you will always be successful

Uncomfortable work environment with poor management

Former Employee - Mortgage Broker  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Mortgage Broker in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

I enjoyed working with a variety of people in a fast paced sales environment. Lending Tree also puts all new hires through a five week mortgage training program. For someone who knew very little about mortgages, the program was well organized and very informational.

Cons

Management at Lending Tree was overbearing and often unable to effectively and appropriately motivate employees. The work environment was uncomfortable, and it was often difficult to find motivation. Competition is always good, especially in a sales environment; however, the competitive nature at Lending Tree was more detrimental than positive in nature, effectively turning employees against each other.

Reform your people skills to be able to motivate a wide variety of employees.

Good place to work other than the fact we are going through a mortgage meltdown...

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

The best reasons to work for Lendingtree are: Good Benefits, Some Good People, Great Work Life balance (depends on your manager though, everyone has a different style of managment), and some knowledgable people that work there

Cons

Well, the downsides to working at LendingTree is the market. The maket kills any idea of working for a mortgage company because its still on a major decline. I can't really think of any real bad downsides, other than I had one manager that was incompetent. Other than that, its a good place to work.

From my experience, senior management did well communicating down to its employees.

Worked for LendingTree? Contribute to the Community!