LendingTree Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Great business model at first - fairly irrelevant now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location is convenient to highway

Cons

"When banks compete, you win" is something that was innovative at one time. Now, there are many competitors and copycats. It seems LendingTree is just a big lead generation affiliate for the banks and is only valuable when the banks need more leads. Right now, they don't need LendingTree.

A weeping willow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun energetic place to work for many years. It had a work hard/play hard atmosphere.

Cons

The market downturn revealed its weak leadership, years of weak attempts at diversification, lack of focus, and no real direction.

Advice to Management

Move on.

3. Awful!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at LendingTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was promised great money and a future.

Cons

I was the #1 sales person in my division, never got the raise I was promised, got promoted with no raise, had sales stolen from me, had to prove I earned my commissions repeatedly to get paid on them with no apologies, ever. If you're a 24/7 brown noser, like to be constantly belittled, like fighting for every sale you make and the commissions promised for them, like to be severely micro-managed...than this is the company for you! Otherwise, you have been warned! The company's stock value has gone in the toilet over the last couple of years and they are no longer a Fortune 500 or 1000 company. No surprise since only management gets the big bonuses and they never listen to the people out in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Get real! Quit playing favorites and listening to gossip. Different divisions deal with different challenges and you cannot have a "cookie cutter" approach with all sales and clients! Trust your people and quit being so cheap!

5. Fun Hard Work

Former Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I worked at LendingTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a casual dress work atmosphere, LendingTree is that. Everyone works hard but has fun as well.

Cons

Feeling ackward wearing an expensive suit.

6. Awesome place to work. Tons of opportunities and more than anything, awesome people

Current Employee - Vice President in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at LendingTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A great brand which consumers know about - A good focus on doing right thing for consumers - Good comp package - Open environment

Cons

- Company is going through the transition after the sale of Lending Tree Loans. Now it is becoming like more like a pure play internet company. So expect some transition pains. Should go away in Q3/Q4 of 2012.

Toxic Environment

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

There are no pros to working at Tree.com/LendingTree. If you are reading this and you are considering applying for a position here, I would highly recommend that you seek employment elsewhere. You will be miserable in this working environment. I am currently looking at other employment options and I know for a fact that several other employees are looking around at other companies as well.

Cons

The management at Tree.com/LendingTree has no control over costs and they have no clear direction. They are trying to get back to their "startup" roots. This is code for " being cheap". Salaries are below industry average unless you are a top executive. The only way they can lure top executives to Tree is to pay them alot of money. There is high turnover at the entry, middle and executive levels. The CEO is also the Chairman. This is a huge conflict of interest, in my opinion. The CEO claims to have an open-door policy. He tries to act like a cool "startup" CEO by working out of a cubicle. The irony is that he never, EVER walks around and talks to employees and he is not a very approachable person.

Advice to Management

Stop being so arrogant and stubborn. Start being honest with your employees and stop screwing them when it comes to their pay. Also, don't talk bad/insult former employees when they leave the company. This is terrible for morale.

8. AWESOME Company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

Casual work environment Open door policy Encouraged to share ideas - not just lip service We work hard and play hard

Cons

Mortgage industry has been down, but things are looking up

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do

9. LeadingTree is a great place to work

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

- Great exchange of ideas - Opinions are respected - Feeling of accomplishment - Free beer!

Cons

- Salary is a little low but they make up for it in benefits and working enviroment

10. Positive place to work with a healthy work hard, play hard mentality.

I have been working at LendingTree

Pros

CEO always has an open door and I firmly believe that taking the initiative is rewarded in terms of increased levels of responsibility. This allows someone to grow quite quickly and there is plenty of opportunity to lead a wide array of initiatives.

Cons

Flat organization offers little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Consistent reward structure that is measured quarterly and reported on at an individual level would further improve employee drive towards corporate goals. This should be measured in terms of a well known yearly plan. All those that execute against a plan are not necessarily those who create it, therefore the incentives of those solely executing need to mostly be tied to executing the plan regardless of the plans overall success.

11. Fast moving company facing industry hardships

I worked at LendingTree

Pros

Mid--sized company. Fast paced. Tangible site.

Cons

Bottom line. Personnel and Resources lacking due to cuts.

Advice to Management

Set specific plans to achieve lofty performance goals

RSS Feed </> Embed