Lenovo

Lenovo Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing

Yang Yuanqing

Pros:
  • "Great people to work with, fun environment, casual dress, good work-life balance"
    in 15 reviews
  • "True global company - I've learned so much about different cultures around the world"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is very difficult because of the global nature"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Can be very demanding with long hours and too many competing challenges"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company that is trending upwards.

Inside Sales Representative - Contractor (Current Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe hours are good. The company is trending upwards. The majority of people working here are young, driven, and fun. Pay is good for an entry level job. Hard work is incentivized and rewarded.

ConsManagement is not transparent with contractors or inside sales reps whatsoever. I know contractors here that have been here as contractors for up to 3 years. To add, as a contractor, you need to be constantly looking over your shoulder. Contractors are let go often and sometimes with little to no reason. The person who referred me for this position was fired for being out to long after surgery.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with contractors and employees. Set a clear career path based on time worked and success in role to determine promotions and conversions. Treating that based on politics and favortism eventually will lead to your best talent leaving for other tech companies around the area that pay more and treat their employees better.

Great place to work!

Instructional Designer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lenovo as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe team environment...as long as you have a good team.

ConsMost people in the industry are contract....but at least an on-going contract.

Positive and Friendly Environment

Marketing Assistant (Former Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I worked at Lenovo as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery motivated but also casual working environment.

ConsLack of immediate response from co-worker could sometimes be frustrating.

Great company, great experience.

Inside-Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life is moderately paced, and the role allows you to run your accounts as if it is your business.

ConsSystems could be better (CRM/SAP/SF).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue down the path that you have set. The direction and future look very promising.

Sales Representative

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for more than a year

Pros-Enjoy the team People I work with are easy to get along with for the most part
-Great technology/ ahead of the game with new products

Cons-No work/life balance in sales at all/ overworked to save on headcount
-too much middle management that does nothing but collect bonus off our backs
-Low salaries compared to industry at same position
-Micro-Managment
-minimal opportunities for growth/ if you tell management you are interested in getting out of sales, will be out of a job the following quarter

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. provide opportunities to work remotely, listen to employees and help move around in the company to learn new things rather than holding back, higher salaries, cut middle management and you can afford to keep good talent by being able to afford to pay decent wages for the people actually making the company money

It has been a variable experience. Sometimes company seemed to have a good strategy but in last 9 years have 4 retrenchm

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Lenovo full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany has been reasonably well run in last few years

Conshave a tendency to focus on career development of china based employees vs non china based

Advice to Senior Managementbe more international

Great place too learn but they will chew you up and spit you out

Continuous Improvement Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe opportunity to be exposed to the technology development of the 4 screen strategy and getting to work in an international culture where your interacting and traveling with international team mates.

ConsToo many management levels, actionable strategy isn't cascaded, over bearing management, expected to work around the clock, no predictable performance measurements, layoffs regardless of business performance, no accountability for repeated hardware recalls or poor quality results. There is no such thing as work/life balance at Lenovo.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive business performance NOT your career politics. Pay attention, plan, invest in your teams, and communicate a vision and strategy where the teams can be successful, they deliver on meaningful strategic goals.

Communicate your strategy early, translate actionable items and delegate them to your team within a reasonable amount of time, and drive results. Value cross silo busting projects and encourage teams to work together.

Be flexible and allow your teams to create some flexibility in their work/life balance and allow boundaries so they don't get burned out so easily. Encourage your teams to take vacations, more than 3 days at a time.

Provide valuable and useful training to your employees and challenge them to utilize their new capabilities.

awesome team and working environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lenovo

ProsUR UX UI GUI teams work together

Conswork space is not enough

Advice to Senior Managementall is fine i think

Sales Representative

Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing work environment! Great growth opportunity!

ConsI can't think of any cons that would outweigh the fantastic atmosphere and opportunities at Lenovo!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

You can negotiate salary but not very interesting work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lenovo full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou can generally negotiate salary about 20k usd more than their first offer.
Good relocation package. Good location near Raleigh Durham airport.

ConsThe work is not very challenging and you will be quite bored. Just doing a lot of boring things very quickly. Also, a lot of older employees that don't know how to use spreadsheets.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership team is good.

Worked for Lenovo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lenovo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing. All 294 reviews posted anonymously by Lenovo employees.