Lenovo

Lenovo Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing

Yang Yuanqing

Pros:
  • "Great people to work with, fun environment, casual dress, good work-life balance"
    in 15 reviews
  • "True global company - I've learned so much about different cultures around the world"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance in sales at all/ overworked to save on headcount"
    in 28 reviews
  • "No work life balance, Managment loves to pick on you, very cold and never appreciate to employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company that is trending upwards.

Inside Sales Representative - Contractor (Current Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe hours are good. The company is trending upwards. The majority of people working here are young, driven, and fun. Pay is good for an entry level job. Hard work is incentivized and rewarded.

ConsManagement is not transparent with contractors or inside sales reps whatsoever. I know contractors here that have been here as contractors for up to 3 years. To add, as a contractor, you need to be constantly looking over your shoulder. Contractors are let go often and sometimes with little to no reason. The person who referred me for this position was fired for being out to long after surgery.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with contractors and employees. Set a clear career path based on time worked and success in role to determine promotions and conversions. Treating that based on politics and favortism eventually will lead to your best talent leaving for other tech companies around the area that pay more and treat their employees better.

Lenovo

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lenovo as an intern for less than a year

Pros1. Good company
2. Can learn a lot

ConsNothing bad I think. I like the company

Great place to work!

Instructional Designer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lenovo as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe team environment...as long as you have a good team.

ConsMost people in the industry are contract....but at least an on-going contract.

Positive and Friendly Environment

Marketing Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Lenovo as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery motivated but also casual working environment.

ConsLack of immediate response from co-worker could sometimes be frustrating.

Great company, great experience.

Inside-Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life is moderately paced, and the role allows you to run your accounts as if it is your business.

ConsSystems could be better (CRM/SAP/SF).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue down the path that you have set. The direction and future look very promising.

Bright outlook for company, dim for some employees

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat growth trajectory, achieved #1 WW PC maker, continue to deliver innovation

ConsCulture of fear and protecting one's work, no true collaboration or teaming, prefer outside hires versus utilizing internal talent

Sales Representative

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for more than a year

Pros-Enjoy the team People I work with are easy to get along with for the most part
-Great technology/ ahead of the game with new products

Cons-No work/life balance in sales at all/ overworked to save on headcount
-too much middle management that does nothing but collect bonus off our backs
-Low salaries compared to industry at same position
-Micro-Managment
-minimal opportunities for growth/ if you tell management you are interested in getting out of sales, will be out of a job the following quarter

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. provide opportunities to work remotely, listen to employees and help move around in the company to learn new things rather than holding back, higher salaries, cut middle management and you can afford to keep good talent by being able to afford to pay decent wages for the people actually making the company money

Good Place for College Grads, Bad for Experiencesd Professionals

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I worked at Lenovo full-time for more than a year

ProsGood marketing company and place to learn about how to market products, inside sales or operations if you are fresh out of college. Lenovo runs a lot of programs and you can make a lot of money in sales if you are aggressive and understand the market. They know PC business is in decline and they are making big investments in other areas like mobile and server but....

ConsSince PC business is declining and that is their core revenue there is a lot of pressure to deliver on PC+ vision. The balance between China and US is horrible, it is like having two very different decision makers running each product/business unit. Since their products are commodities, there is too much stress on marketing and funding over innovation and product differentiation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out who runs the company, China or Morrisville. Get rid of the ex-IBM PC people in middle management and bring in people from innovative companies. Most legacy IBM people still there are afraid to be leaders and take risks, they just want to be in management as a comfort zone.

Great place too learn but they will chew you up and spit you out

Continuous Improvement Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe opportunity to be exposed to the technology development of the 4 screen strategy and getting to work in an international culture where your interacting and traveling with international team mates.

ConsToo many management levels, actionable strategy isn't cascaded, over bearing management, expected to work around the clock, no predictable performance measurements, layoffs regardless of business performance, no accountability for repeated hardware recalls or poor quality results. There is no such thing as work/life balance at Lenovo.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive business performance NOT your career politics. Pay attention, plan, invest in your teams, and communicate a vision and strategy where the teams can be successful, they deliver on meaningful strategic goals.

Communicate your strategy early, translate actionable items and delegate them to your team within a reasonable amount of time, and drive results. Value cross silo busting projects and encourage teams to work together.

Be flexible and allow your teams to create some flexibility in their work/life balance and allow boundaries so they don't get burned out so easily. Encourage your teams to take vacations, more than 3 days at a time.

Provide valuable and useful training to your employees and challenge them to utilize their new capabilities.

Sales Representative

Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing work environment! Great growth opportunity!

ConsI can't think of any cons that would outweigh the fantastic atmosphere and opportunities at Lenovo!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Lenovo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lenovo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing. All 297 reviews posted anonymously by Lenovo employees.