LensCrafters

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.9

Eric Anderson

Pros
  • Getting a free pair of glasses every year is definitely a perk (in 31 reviews)

• Great benefits -- free eye exam and glasses every year, health insurance even for part-timers (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Even middle/upper management treated you like this, which is sad really (in 39 reviews)

• I was forced to drop down to casual part time after being a full time employee for 3 (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Job ever

Current Employee - Retail Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer interactions. Very flexible with personal life. Benefits are great, free pair per year. Commissions are awesome.

Cons

full time considered to be 30+ hours. hours are cut if business is low

My experience with LensCrafters was just, "ok."

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping people see
    Onesight foundation
    Diverse
    Personal Growth
    Secure Job

Cons

Constant goals
    Constant price changes
    Hours being constantly cut
    Eyenet

Fix eyenet and reduce your expenses to keep current customers. Prices are increasing from your salaries and expenses that are unneeded. This is then making customers angry because prices are so high.

Eyewear consultant

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good discounts across Luxottica brands, sunglass hut, Ilori, etc.
    -Good base pay plus commission
    -Free pair of glasses after 1 year of working for the company

Cons

-Highly competitive environment
    -Commission percentage has steadily been decreasing

Blood Money...
    (From a Optometry Tech point of view)

Current Employee - Optometry Tech in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Optometry Tech in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- One Sight-give discounted exams to those who qualify

- Hometown Days-a designated school each year is chosen to pick 20-30 students of greatest need for eye exams and glasses , both for free.

-Easy Business - since our doctors lease from them we get good and easy business - people come in to get glasses , find out they haven't been in for a few years and come to us to get an updated and valid Rx.

Cons

OMG.....
    (Where to start...whoa..)

"Blood Money"

Why?

Because it's all LC cares about ..

Sure , ... I get it your a business - your main agenda is to make money. But when healthcare is involved since you lease to Optometrists , I believe top priority should be the patient's well being.

If there was a list of the top most important priorities , patient well being would probably be number 4 (just barely beating the color of the rugs)

And I'm not speaking about the doctor's side - that's where I work as an optometry tech. Our doctor's care about patient care , we spend a good 30%-40% of our day
    ( sometimes more , sometimes less)
    running additional testing-VF's, OCT's, for example just to name a couple , filling out diabetic forms , referring patients to specialists (because for certain cases we do not have the right equipment to help them) and scheduling follow up appts to monitor certain conditions such as suspect glaucoma or cataracts .

Whom I'm referring to when I describe Blood Money is LC itself ...

Let me PLEASE MAKE THIS CLEAR , WE ARE NOT LC out doctors simply lease from them - but we are two totally separate businesses!!

However we are often thought of as being a total entity and that's the ONLY reason I gave 3 stars if this was solely based on LC I probably would of just put two.

LC doesn't care if they KNOW they don't accept your insurance or if you can't truly afford to buy glasses out of pocket - they'll do almost anything to get your money.

They LOVE to control our appt book even though they barely know how to work it or make appts correctly ...

They LOVE to tell you who's OK to schedule and who's not

For example , for awhile they weren't even letting us book Caresource appts!

They simply told us if they have Care source the patient just has to be a walk in - they didn't want a patient who 1-they weren't in network with and 2- who they KNEW couldn't pay out.of pocket for glasses .

Personally I thought this was the most careless and selfish act I'd ever witnessed from them.

Speaking of walk ins ...LC loves WI's !! They could CARE LESS if you have a full book or the Doc is running behind. Instead of focusing on the patient and their care , what's important to LC is the turn around rate. How fast we can get patients in and out and send them over to get them some more business...it's ridiculous.

Oh and they insist u walk patients over and a lot of times u do they just look at u and don't even greet the patient's!

These are just a FEW reasons I hate being in the same building as LC !

Good job, not a career

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store staff at the sales level are well trained and competent. They provide great moral support, seeing as sales can often be quite stressful. The company does provide good benefits to even part time associates in the form of a pair of glasses every year- which can come in handy for a broke blind college student like I was. There are great programs in place that allow full time associates to give PTO to employees in need and we do have a great donation foundation that gets low income people in the US and beyond in glasses.

Cons

A lot of the stress the sales level has is due in part to the company. Goals are often set their highest during routine slow times in the year and machines are often times neglected by the company- leaving the store to make due with faulty equipment. Overall, from the sales level, growth in the company seems obsolete until you've been there for about 8 or more years.

Honestly I'd have to see what upper management is like in order to give advice. The one thing I can say for the sales area is that sales will go up when the machines that provide the signature one hour service are working.

Good college job, not a career job.

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at LensCrafters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule while in school.

Cons

No matter how the situation unfolds, in retail the customer is always right, especially at LensCrafters. A customer can treat an employee like garbage, leave the store to call customer service and a day later the employee is typically reprimanded, while the customer gets either money back, a free upgrade in product, or as seen in previous experience, an entire pair of $400 eyeglasses for free.

Eye Wear Consultant

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Brea, CA

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, especially for college students. They work extremely well with your schedule. Amazing patient interaction.

Cons

Not much movement in terms of promotions and raises. Rarely any full time associates.

Management itself needs better training. They should consider hiring within instead of bringing in new people as managers.

Twice the work half the staff.

Current Employee - Lab Manager
    Current Employee - Lab Manager

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits. And I've always loved the people on the store level. Great people to work with.

Cons

Hours. Pay. Constant stress. Senior management is pushy. Too much to do, not enough time or people to get it done. Too many people telling you what to do, as if your working for three different managers. Senior Management doesn't get it, or they don't care to.

Happy employees, happy customers. Practice the culture that is preached! We hear that you care but we never experience it. More hours and better pay can solve most of the issues.

no DM support

Former Employee - Eyecare Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Eyecare Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LensCrafters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience. I was lucky enough to get a solid month of training. The have a decent online training program called Belux, unfortunately I don't think they use it enough. And the system needs to be updated desperately

Cons

After being hired, I think I was one of the few who had that extensive training. Everyone after just got thrown in. The Regional Manager had her favorites and if you weren't one don't expect to see her.

LAB TECH LEVEL 1

Current Employee - Lab Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of hours, strict enforcement of break times and leave times. Friendly environment.

Cons

Micromanaging, constant shifting of managers

Trust your employees more, trust that some do care about the work they provide.

LensCrafters Photos