LensCrafters Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
2.9

Eric Anderson

Pros
  • Getting a free pair of glasses every year is definitely a perk (in 31 reviews)

• They have great benefits including tuition reimbursement (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Even middle/upper management treated you like this, which is sad really (in 40 reviews)

• I was forced to drop down to casual part time after being a full time employee for 3 (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Retail Job

Former Employee - Eye Care Advisor in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Eye Care Advisor in Joliet, IL

I worked at LensCrafters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commission, Trendy, Flexible, fun ,work-life balance

Cons

communication, pushy, boring, sunglasses, pay

Helped me find my passion.

I have been working at LensCrafters

Pros

The company fully supports its employees and gives you every resource you need to succeed. Also, corporate is very big on education and hiring from within.

Cons

Dealing with any type of customer service has its own issues. People often treat you as a retail associate you would get at a clothing store. It can be frustrating that some customers do not understand how much goes into optical and all that we do.

Keep being an awesome company

Overall, it has been a pretty pleasant experience.

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great for college students because shifts are fairly flexible, if you work hard pay is pretty good, there is always a chance for a pay increase. It's also pretty competitive which could be both a pro and con for some people.

Cons

Be prepared to never celebrate a major holiday again, as long as you work here. The company compiles customers phone numbers into a list and then requires sales associates to call them and inform them of current promotions, most customers get upset with associates. In general customers can be really hurtful to associates, and this company is a firm believer in "the customer is always right" and doesn't stick up for the associates that are being attacked. They also have this awesome program called "President's Club" and if you get on it you get a lot of perks, however the rules for it are always changing without clearly specifying what they rules actually are.

It would be nice to feel more support from managers when dealing with really "mean" customers, that's really my only real complaint about this company. As an associate I've had some customers really tear me down as a human being, yelling at me in front of everyone in the store, while my managers just stood and watched.

My Time as an Associate Retail Optician

Current Employee - Optician Sales Associate in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Optician Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

We had a comfortable environment to work and respect with and helpfulness from management making satisfaction for customers an easy challenge.

Cons

Not enough hours given to employees for busier times in the store

n/a

Best Job ever

Current Employee - Retail Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer interactions. Very flexible with personal life. Benefits are great, free pair per year. Commissions are awesome.

Cons

full time considered to be 30+ hours. hours are cut if business is low

My experience with LensCrafters was just, "ok."

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping people see
    Onesight foundation
    Diverse
    Personal Growth
    Secure Job

Cons

Constant goals
    Constant price changes
    Hours being constantly cut
    Eyenet

Fix eyenet and reduce your expenses to keep current customers. Prices are increasing from your salaries and expenses that are unneeded. This is then making customers angry because prices are so high.

Blood Money...
    (From a Optometry Tech point of view)

Current Employee - Optometry Tech in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Optometry Tech in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- One Sight-give discounted exams to those who qualify

- Hometown Days-a designated school each year is chosen to pick 20-30 students of greatest need for eye exams and glasses , both for free.

-Easy Business - since our doctors lease from them we get good and easy business - people come in to get glasses , find out they haven't been in for a few years and come to us to get an updated and valid Rx.

Cons

OMG.....
    (Where to start...whoa..)

"Blood Money"

Why?

Because it's all LC cares about ..

Sure , ... I get it your a business - your main agenda is to make money. But when healthcare is involved since you lease to Optometrists , I believe top priority should be the patient's well being.

If there was a list of the top most important priorities , patient well being would probably be number 4 (just barely beating the color of the rugs)

And I'm not speaking about the doctor's side - that's where I work as an optometry tech. Our doctor's care about patient care , we spend a good 30%-40% of our day
    ( sometimes more , sometimes less)
    running additional testing-VF's, OCT's, for example just to name a couple , filling out diabetic forms , referring patients to specialists (because for certain cases we do not have the right equipment to help them) and scheduling follow up appts to monitor certain conditions such as suspect glaucoma or cataracts .

Whom I'm referring to when I describe Blood Money is LC itself ...

Let me PLEASE MAKE THIS CLEAR , WE ARE NOT LC out doctors simply lease from them - but we are two totally separate businesses!!

However we are often thought of as being a total entity and that's the ONLY reason I gave 3 stars if this was solely based on LC I probably would of just put two.

LC doesn't care if they KNOW they don't accept your insurance or if you can't truly afford to buy glasses out of pocket - they'll do almost anything to get your money.

They LOVE to control our appt book even though they barely know how to work it or make appts correctly ...

They LOVE to tell you who's OK to schedule and who's not

For example , for awhile they weren't even letting us book Caresource appts!

They simply told us if they have Care source the patient just has to be a walk in - they didn't want a patient who 1-they weren't in network with and 2- who they KNEW couldn't pay out.of pocket for glasses .

Personally I thought this was the most careless and selfish act I'd ever witnessed from them.

Speaking of walk ins ...LC loves WI's !! They could CARE LESS if you have a full book or the Doc is running behind. Instead of focusing on the patient and their care , what's important to LC is the turn around rate. How fast we can get patients in and out and send them over to get them some more business...it's ridiculous.

Oh and they insist u walk patients over and a lot of times u do they just look at u and don't even greet the patient's!

These are just a FEW reasons I hate being in the same building as LC !

Eyewear consultant

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good discounts across Luxottica brands, sunglass hut, Ilori, etc.
    -Good base pay plus commission
    -Free pair of glasses after 1 year of working for the company

Cons

-Highly competitive environment
    -Commission percentage has steadily been decreasing

Good job, not a career

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store staff at the sales level are well trained and competent. They provide great moral support, seeing as sales can often be quite stressful. The company does provide good benefits to even part time associates in the form of a pair of glasses every year- which can come in handy for a broke blind college student like I was. There are great programs in place that allow full time associates to give PTO to employees in need and we do have a great donation foundation that gets low income people in the US and beyond in glasses.

Cons

A lot of the stress the sales level has is due in part to the company. Goals are often set their highest during routine slow times in the year and machines are often times neglected by the company- leaving the store to make due with faulty equipment. Overall, from the sales level, growth in the company seems obsolete until you've been there for about 8 or more years.

Honestly I'd have to see what upper management is like in order to give advice. The one thing I can say for the sales area is that sales will go up when the machines that provide the signature one hour service are working.

The Once Mighty Has Fallen

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at LensCrafters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training programs. Annual free eyewear for employees. Fantastic designer frame selection. Commitment to philanthropy and charity worldwide.

Cons

Constantly changing goals and values made it impossible to feel as if you were ever able to accomplish any goals set forth. That is a terrible feeling to leave work with day after day. An employee could exceed all goals set for them for months and the only result was ever-increasing goals. No recognition or appreciation. It was a very sad day to realize that the company had changed completely and lost its connection with the people at it's very heart.

Bring back Roc Stars. Recognize the efforts of your team. Celebrate their successes, and you will see more of them. Dream Team, Top 100. Go back and look at revenue then vs. now. The numbers don't lie.

LensCrafters Photos