LensCrafters

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.9

Eric Anderson

Pros
  • Getting a free pair of glasses every year is definitely a perk (in 26 reviews)

• They have great benefits including tuition reimbursement (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Even middle/upper management treated you like this, which is sad really (in 35 reviews)

• full time employees(30 hours) were very rarely given (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

LAB TECH LEVEL 1

Current Employee - Lab Technician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of hours, strict enforcement of break times and leave times. Friendly environment.

Cons

Micromanaging, constant shifting of managers

Trust your employees more, trust that some do care about the work they provide.

Lead Eye Care Advisor

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Always ahead of the game with eye care
    -Positive Atmosphere
    - Molds you well for other jobs

Cons

- High expectations
    - Not enough hours

No hours to give current employees, but hiring new staff!

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

LensCrafters is a great place to work for if you are getting your feet wet in the optical business.
    It is also a great place for those looking to get no more than 15 hours a week.

Cons

Not enough training. People are hired off the street with no experience and expected to bring in sales.
    For those already working, hours get cut to provide new hours to new hires.

Management should have optical background Period!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too big to care about employees and customer service.

Former Employee - Retail Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Manager

I worked at LensCrafters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping people enhance their lives by improving their vision.
    Decent benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Sell as much as you can as fast as you can is the main objective.
    Training was basically a joke.

Take care of your people and they will in turn take care of your customers and take it easy with the price gouging on your products.

Okay

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free pair of glasses and good vision insurance are great. I really enjoyed working in the model where you get to do the pretesting for the doctors side as well. If you are in a store that makes goal regularly commissions are also really nice!

Cons

Some of the management (especially upper management) seem to make decisions that are counter intuitive. I recall issues with some people not getting any hours and others having more than they want- but both are just shy of "full time". Also, I don't think they even hire "full time" employees anymore if they aren't salaried.

Listen to your employees on a store level. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfied employees these days for reasons that could be easily fixed, and I can't imagine it affects your bottom line that much.

A busy and hectic atmosphere.

Current Employee - Lab Manager
    Current Employee - Lab Manager

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time for less than a year

Pros

A fast place environment with great technical learning experiences and a great place to start in retail. Once you have worked here you will be able to keep up with any other retail atmosphere.

Cons

Training is hap hazard and sporadic. Focus is on sales growth and not technical training. Can be difficult to advance as stores have high employment turnover.

More training on lab operations and repair. More allocated hours toward training and store operations.

Smoke screen

I have been working at LensCrafters for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, great team, great charity program

Cons

I've worked for LC for almost four years now. I dropped down.. actually let me rephrase that.. I was forced to drop down to casual part time after being a full time employee for 3+ years. I started out as a Retail Manager, and ended up having to pull GM duties for months because our GM left to help another store in need. About a year after my hire, the RM position was eliminated. I was offered to stay at a lower hourly pay as a full time sales associate, or take a severance package and leave. I decided to stay, and try and work my way back up the ladder. My hours got cut severely a few months later. I was full time, working a maximum of 12-16 hours a week, for months. Another problem I have with the company is the fact that our manager would never release the schedule in a timely fashion. Our weeks run from Sunday to Saturday.. and we would get our schedules released the Friday night before the new week started.. (IF we were lucky).. sometimes we would get it on Saturday. That leaves us with ABSOLUTELY no option to plan any family time. Policies and procedures go out the door all the time, and it gets blamed on the upper level management constantly. Training was non-existent. If you got hired, you watched a few hours of videos, and then you were thrown to the wolves.

The hour cuts have got to stop. In my 7-8 years of retail, I have never seen such dramatic cutbacks on hours. Do you not plan for these things ahead of time?? Going from 30+ down to 12-16 and almost losing my benefits because of it is a bit ridiculous. (Not to mention not being able to pay my bills anymore) I ended up having to leave and work for another company that was willing to give me 40 hours a week.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything this company is awesome! I've worked retail management for 10 years and let me tell you this company spoils it's managers!! All these bad stories you read on here are b.s. and they probably never worked retail management at another company to know what it really feels like to have a job YOUR SICK OF! LENSCRAFTERS IS AWESOME AND SO IS LUXOTTICA!

Cons

Only thing I can say is they need to update there systems and get with the times for email and overall platform.

Dump alot of dead weight and get management that really wants to work! Just cause you worked for the company for ever doesn't make you a good manager. Sometimes they can spoil the mindset of new management!

This is an amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - RGM
    Current Employee - RGM

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation. Work/Life Balance. Support from the home office.

Cons

A clear path for career growth.

Work on succession planning for field employees.

Revolving door of employees

Former Employee - Licensed Retail Manager  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Licensed Retail Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at LensCrafters full-time for less than a year

Pros

It had good health benefits and paid time off. The people in the lab were very efficient and easy to communicate with.

Cons

The training program was not very efficient. Most of the people who worked there were also full time students so there was a high turnover rate and that me it difficult to properly train people.

Make the work environment a great experience so that employees will want tot make this a career. This is something that can be done anywhere and good training equally good retention.

Worked for LensCrafters? Contribute to the Community!