LensCrafters

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.8

Eric Anderson

Pros
  • Getting a free pair of glasses every year is definitely a perk (in 31 reviews)

• Work life balance is pretty good, better than a traditional retail job (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Regional Managers come and go quickly there is no stability in upper management (in 42 reviews)

• I was forced to drop down to casual part time after being a full time employee for 3 (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Inspiring, challenging , then painstakingly tried to keep up with the demands of an impossible goal

Former Employee - Licensed Lab Manager
    Former Employee - Licensed Lab Manager

I worked at LensCrafters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have taken them all away , declined benefit packages , salary etc .

Cons

Cut backs are so great in staffing that there is no way to give quality eye care and make quality eye wear .
    If I can't feel good about what I'm doing then I can no longer do it.
    Hire more Opticians and less " frame stylists " style means nothing if you can't see

Stop cutting , hours and benefits.
    Stop pushing management at store level if you can not provide sufficient staff to perform the tasks.

If you like to be micromanaged, this is the company for you

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is very generous. Work life balance is pretty good, better than a traditional retail job. Holiday pay, PTO, No holiday hours, like you would have in a traditional retail environment.

Cons

They micromanage everything you do, and track everything! From how many email addresses you obtain, to how often you use an ipad with customers. There is about 30 goals that you are held accountable to, on a daily basis. You never know what the business focus is, or their vision, because it changes on a daily basis. Whenever they roll out new initiatives, it is so unorganized They never set you up with the tools you need to do your job. Especially if you are a new hire, they just throw you in, and expect you to learn as you go. The sales goals are extreme and a lot of times unattainable. If you do not achieve your sales goal, they treat you like dirt, and make you feel like your store made 0 dollars, that week, even though you brought in thousands of dollars. They are constantly cutting payroll hours, leaving no associates to work on the sales floor, which upsets customers, and they wonder why they are losing 10,000 customers a year. It's because there is no one on the sales floor to help.

Wake up! Stop focusing on things that do not matter, like investing in ipads that you think will enhance the customer experience, and give hours to your employees, so they can be available to help your customers. And stop micro managing eveything your mangers do! Its a distraction from what really matters, the customer!

Great atmosphere

I have been working at LensCrafters

Pros

Great salary bonus rewarding career

Cons

Cut throat the entire company isn't sure of the direction

The Once Mighty Has Fallen

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at LensCrafters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training programs. Annual free eyewear for employees. Fantastic designer frame selection. Commitment to philanthropy and charity worldwide.

Cons

Constantly changing goals and values made it impossible to feel as if you were ever able to accomplish any goals set forth. That is a terrible feeling to leave work with day after day. An employee could exceed all goals set for them for months and the only result was ever-increasing goals. No recognition or appreciation. It was a very sad day to realize that the company had changed completely and lost its connection with the people at it's very heart.

Bring back Roc Stars. Recognize the efforts of your team. Celebrate their successes, and you will see more of them. Dream Team, Top 100. Go back and look at revenue then vs. now. The numbers don't lie.

My Time as an Associate Retail Optician

Current Employee - Optician Sales Associate in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Optician Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

We had a comfortable environment to work and respect with and helpfulness from management making satisfaction for customers an easy challenge.

Cons

Not enough hours given to employees for busier times in the store

n/a

Best Job ever

Current Employee - Retail Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer interactions. Very flexible with personal life. Benefits are great, free pair per year. Commissions are awesome.

Cons

full time considered to be 30+ hours. hours are cut if business is low

My experience with LensCrafters was just, "ok."

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping people see
    Onesight foundation
    Diverse
    Personal Growth
    Secure Job

Cons

Constant goals
    Constant price changes
    Hours being constantly cut
    Eyenet

Fix eyenet and reduce your expenses to keep current customers. Prices are increasing from your salaries and expenses that are unneeded. This is then making customers angry because prices are so high.

Blood Money...
    (From a Optometry Tech point of view)

Current Employee - Optometry Tech in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Optometry Tech in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- One Sight-give discounted exams to those who qualify

- Hometown Days-a designated school each year is chosen to pick 20-30 students of greatest need for eye exams and glasses , both for free.

-Easy Business - since our doctors lease from them we get good and easy business - people come in to get glasses , find out they haven't been in for a few years and come to us to get an updated and valid Rx.

Cons

OMG.....
    (Where to start...whoa..)

"Blood Money"

Why?

Because it's all LC cares about ..

Sure , ... I get it your a business - your main agenda is to make money. But when healthcare is involved since you lease to Optometrists , I believe top priority should be the patient's well being.

If there was a list of the top most important priorities , patient well being would probably be number 4 (just barely beating the color of the rugs)

And I'm not speaking about the doctor's side - that's where I work as an optometry tech. Our doctor's care about patient care , we spend a good 30%-40% of our day
    ( sometimes more , sometimes less)
    running additional testing-VF's, OCT's, for example just to name a couple , filling out diabetic forms , referring patients to specialists (because for certain cases we do not have the right equipment to help them) and scheduling follow up appts to monitor certain conditions such as suspect glaucoma or cataracts .

Whom I'm referring to when I describe Blood Money is LC itself ...

Let me PLEASE MAKE THIS CLEAR , WE ARE NOT LC out doctors simply lease from them - but we are two totally separate businesses!!

However we are often thought of as being a total entity and that's the ONLY reason I gave 3 stars if this was solely based on LC I probably would of just put two.

LC doesn't care if they KNOW they don't accept your insurance or if you can't truly afford to buy glasses out of pocket - they'll do almost anything to get your money.

They LOVE to control our appt book even though they barely know how to work it or make appts correctly ...

They LOVE to tell you who's OK to schedule and who's not

For example , for awhile they weren't even letting us book Caresource appts!

They simply told us if they have Care source the patient just has to be a walk in - they didn't want a patient who 1-they weren't in network with and 2- who they KNEW couldn't pay out.of pocket for glasses .

Personally I thought this was the most careless and selfish act I'd ever witnessed from them.

Speaking of walk ins ...LC loves WI's !! They could CARE LESS if you have a full book or the Doc is running behind. Instead of focusing on the patient and their care , what's important to LC is the turn around rate. How fast we can get patients in and out and send them over to get them some more business...it's ridiculous.

Oh and they insist u walk patients over and a lot of times u do they just look at u and don't even greet the patient's!

These are just a FEW reasons I hate being in the same building as LC !

Eyewear consultant

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good discounts across Luxottica brands, sunglass hut, Ilori, etc.
    -Good base pay plus commission
    -Free pair of glasses after 1 year of working for the company

Cons

-Highly competitive environment
    -Commission percentage has steadily been decreasing

Good college job, not a career job.

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at LensCrafters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule while in school.

Cons

No matter how the situation unfolds, in retail the customer is always right, especially at LensCrafters. A customer can treat an employee like garbage, leave the store to call customer service and a day later the employee is typically reprimanded, while the customer gets either money back, a free upgrade in product, or as seen in previous experience, an entire pair of $400 eyeglasses for free.

LensCrafters Photos