LensCrafters

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.9

Eric Anderson

Pros
  • Getting a free pair of glasses every year is definitely a perk (in 26 reviews)

• They have great benefits including tuition reimbursement (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Even middle/upper management treated you like this, which is sad really (in 35 reviews)

• full time employees(30 hours) were very rarely given (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Little training, high expectations and little reward

Former Employee - Eyecare Advisor
    Former Employee - Eyecare Advisor

I worked at LensCrafters part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Free pair of glasses and an eye exam each year
    -The workload is pretty stressful, so you manage to come across of a lot of strong willed co-workers
    -If you can learn the job on your own, you can gain a lot of valuable experience here

Cons

-Very little training; you're personally trained with for about a week or so and then if you've caught on, great you have a job! If you haven't caught on in about two weeks though, good luck keeping your job.
    -Outrageous amounts of micromanaging
    -Too much trickling down on the totem pole; Regional managers blaming there GMs, GMs blaming there RMs, so on til it gets all the way to the bottom. The only people taking credit for their mistakes are the ones that remain ethical in their work practices; which are usually the ones at the bottom of the totem pole (EyeCare Advisors and Retail Associates).
    -Too many CLEAR threats of "make us more money or I'm cutting your hours". On the retail side this concludes of making sales plan or no hours for you. On the lab side, this consists of make these glasses in less that an hour no matter how many jobs we give you or get your hours cut. On the doctor side, sell as many retinal images (picture of the back of the eye) as possible or get your hours cut. Which is by the way unethical; you should only need these pictures if the Optometrists or an ophthalmologist (not a technician without a degree) say that these are medically necessary OR just at your own personal curiosity of what the back of your eye looks like...
    -As well as meeting some amazing people, I've met some of the most cynical people in my life here

-Take responsibility for your actions and make amends when appropriate. Don't let isolated incidents fester in associates.
    -Upper management should give managers more time to train their employees or managers should stop blaming upper management

This is not a company you will stay with Forever. Give it a few years for some good training and find something else!

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at LensCrafters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Training.
    Commission can be good if sales are up.
    Reimbursement for ABO and continuing education.
    Lots of locations.
    Benefits - free exams and glasses every year. Good discount.

Cons

Management is heavily micro managed.
    Too many chiefs.
    Excessive amount of conference calls.
    You will be written up if you do not make sales plan.
    Employees are expected to drive to the bank every day with cash deposits, not safe.
    LP Audit is the preferred way to terminate a manager.

Pay closer attention to your Regional Managers, they play favorites and work against mangers more often than for them. Ease up on the selling models and tools. Listen to the associates and show them some love. Less payroll doesn't equal higher sales or higher profit. You've lost more good managers than you will every know.

Really nice people!

Former Employee - Eyecare Advisor  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Eyecare Advisor in Green Bay, WI

I worked at LensCrafters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Close group of employees
    Commission can be very nice
    Learn may different skills

Cons

Shifts can be long
    Lacking in hours if you are just starting out

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm still here

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free glasses once a year and discounts at sister brands. Depending on manager at store, can be very accommodating with schedule

Cons

Promotions within company is few and overlooked. Fluctuation in commission rates. Trend of available hours not equally spread out amongst employees.

Choose management with optical knowledge!

GREAT

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company, fun, exciting, loving, caring

Cons

Sometimes overwhelming, micromanaging, tiring, scary

Great combo of retail&medical environment

Current Employee - Retail Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at LensCrafters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits
    - both full/part time employees can obtain medical and dental insurance.
    - optical experience not required, very structured training program.
    - free pair of glasses, free eye exam.
    - lots of attention spent around employee development( company pays for ABO examination, 1/2 of tuition for work related development), LuxUniversity program offers great free training for a range of skills.
    - yearly raises
    - great technology and innovation.
    - promoting from within( although you are probably going to get stuck once/if you become a GM).
    - bonuses offered if customer satisfaction surveys are favorable.
    - commission based on both individual sales and performance as a team.
    - customer satisfaction is a priority with emphasis on getting to know them and selling them what they need vs. useless expensive options that might not work for their particular lifestyle.

Cons

I have started working at LC casual part time and worked my way up the ladder to RM. My patient interaction and training&developing staff gives me great satisfaction. My major complaint is that upper management is allowed to enter the field with no optical knowledge and they aren't required to complete any. While I might understand that a field manager won't come in contact with customers and doesn't need to know the specifics of the field, I believe that is absolutely unacceptable for a General Manager to run a store coming from any misc retail environment. I have also entered the optical world with close to no knowledge but worked very hard at getting any certification available to me, so I can better understand my staff and business needs. I
    am currently being led by a GM that not only doesn't understand what's required of their job, but 2 years into it can't perform a simple adjustment or sale, a GM that has zero intentions of ever becoming proficient at their job or furthering their optical knowledge. It is becoming an embarrassment for a staff that has worked hard at furthering their optical education( imagine an upset customer wanting to get their issue resolved by a store manager who doesn't understand Basic terms, insurance claims or how to apply a customer satisfaction discount). Staff is constantly working on fixing issues caused by their leader and perform better when the GM is not in the building and isn't interfering with their job( imagine what extra 40 productive hrs a week do for us when the GM is on vacation). I have participated in GM meetings (since I am told I'm being trained to soon become one) and discovered that over half of the region's GMs are exact replicas of the one I am working for( current Regional has brought over all their favorite managers most of whom weren't able to adapt to the optical world). It is disappointing to see that regionals only notice those employees always telling them what they want to hear and not the ones who are constantly working on improving their stores( I have personally developed and put in practice plans to reduce shrink, increase employee productivity, make processes simpler in my store, increase customer satisfaction surveys, etc, ). This has made me ( and the rest of the management team I closely work with) take the very painful decision that LC is not the company for me and am currently looking for other opportunities in other companies.

Upper management who understand the optical world are Better leaders. Make it mandatory for your RGMS and GMs to become certified, they will only improve productivity and gain employee trust.

eye care associate

I worked at LensCrafters part-time

Pros

Got decent shifts and hours -- my co-workers and the management was pretty good/chill

Cons

in order to get certain commissions, your store has to make quotas, which are sometimes pretty bogus. having to go up to random people and be that sales-person asking them if they need your help

Hard work and little appreciation.

Current Employee - Lead Lab Technician  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Lab Technician in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on the location it can be one of the best work places. The energy of the work environment can make the store wonderful.

Cons

The management system is poor and needs improvement.

Need to listen to employees better. There tends to be a lot of unwanted drama that doesn't need to be there.

Wonderful and Revolutionary

Current Employee - Lab Technician  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at LensCrafters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great service, and fantastic opportunities.

Cons

Time, is the only problem with my location.

Don't just care about the business, care about the employees as well.

Went from Heaven to Horrific!

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at LensCrafters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great customer base, with the opportunity to form relationships and build a loyal following. Employees are dedicated to taking care of the customers, even when they are being treated poorly by upper management.

Cons

If you are a salaried manager, your PTO will be stolen from you. This is a practice that has been going on for more than ten years, affecting thousands of salaried employees. As an example, you are scheduled to work five, eight hour days, at the end of day four, you have already put in an excess of 40 hours due to business demands. On day five you have to leave at noon for personal reasons, you will be instructed to put in four hours of PTO. I call it the "having your cake and eating it too" rule. This practice is clearly against federal law that states PTO can only be taken in full eight hour increments. After questioning this practice many times over the years, my regional manager finally admitted I was due the back pay. I have yet to receive the 186 days of pay that is due to me. If you are a Licensed Optician, you will find yourself having to choose between following state law regarding your profession, or keeping your job.

Dear Mr. Leonardo Del Vecchio,
    Today you made a brilliant move to return to the operations of Luxottica North America. Profits were doubled over the last ten years in large part by exploiting the very people that helped you build your company. I don't believe you were ever aware of this. I witnessed many serious issues, that you should be made aware of. The issues did not stop at labor practices. I gave Lenscrafters (you) seventeen years of my life. Lenscrafters was my love and my professional identity. I was consistently a top performer. It is my belief, that until the "wrongs" have been "righted" the corporate karma that has been created, over the last ten years, will be difficult to overcome. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you privately.

Worked for LensCrafters? Contribute to the Community!