Leo J Shapiro & Associates

Updated Jun 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Phil Johnson

Fascinating place to get inside the heads of customers and consumers

Associate Strategist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBroad experience both in consumer and B2B research with immediate exposure to client work.

ConsSelf motivation is needed as the company does not coddle

Advice to Senior ManagementCould be a bit more sensitive to employee needs

Move on, there's no hope here

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA few nice people, free soda, you can leave at 4pm, Christmas parties that seem to cost as much as my annual salary

ConsMisogynistic, an insult to my intelligence, empty promises, stunningly out-of-touch management, "promotions" without any sort of perks, hostile work environment, cannot offer a living wage, does not maintain promises from initial job offer

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a work structure that is sustainable. As a manager in certain areas I would be STUNNED at how those in executive levels would be hearing critical pieces of information on current projects from me for the first time (after days or weeks having gone by where this had changed the course of the whole project). I was constantly feeling harassed my male executives and HR is dismissive of all complaints. I might as well have been speaking to a brick wall. Just avoid this company at all costs.

Troubling management structure, job responsibility clarification, growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBoutique firm culture of independent working, socializing with coworkers and mentors, upward growth

ConsUnclear pay grade-job responsibilities-title structure. Insufficient man power to run a business efficiently and with adequate & professional communication between senior and junior level researchers, and especially upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention and satisfaction could be drastically increased with better attention to hiring company culture-appropriate management personnel, clearly outlining career paths and how various levels of research professionals and management are complimentary / supplementary or entirely separate. Also, promotion and salary increases should reflect each employee's personal quantifiable impact (i.e. business won, $$ brought in, etc.) and long-term qualifiable impact. You will never grow without employees who are happy with management (i.e. no petty management tiffs or manipulation), feel valued, and see career growth reciprocal to their contribution to the growth of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learn what you can, but quickly move on

Market Research Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou will learn a little bit of everything that's required to do custom market research. If you can, try and work with the pharma team - they operate much more efficiently and fairly.

ConsBelow market salary. Extremely limited career opportunities. Nothing reinvested into the company - lagging behind competitors. No vision or brand. Not using the latest tools or methods.

Wish they cared about employees more

Project Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmall company gives you face time with upper management

ConsBelow average pay and raises, no bonuses, strict office hours, not much appreciation for dedicated and hard workers

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing appreciation for when employees go above and beyond would make a huge difference. Employees work really hard, travel long hours, and work nights and weekends to get studies and reports done to very little acknowledgement. It's hard to keep motivated

Behind the Times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has been in existence for many years and they have a reputation that can open up doors for more research opportunities when you leave.

ConsLimited support and opportunities for real advancement. Leadership has tunnel vision with the inability to recognize talent within their own company. They consistently hire from outside the organization for services that can be performed by existing employees. The company is very wasteful with their resources. Management is arrogant without the real talent to support it. Everything is smoke and mirrors there. Morality is low throughout the entire organization with few believing that their contribution makes a true difference. This is not a good place to work for if you want a notable career that you will be proud of. Most employees are underpaid, underdeveloped, and simply uninspired to produce work they can be proud of.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize your research own methodologies to better understand all your employees and how to best use their talent to help your organization grow.

Great Employer to Make a Career in Market Research

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Ability to advance skills
    - Can work across a range of subjects areas and method
    - Early opportunities to work with clients and their issues
    - Good work/life balance

Cons- Multitasking can sometimes be stressful
    - Sometimes need to stretch to fill project needs
    - Communication could be better

Advice to Senior Management- keep focus on employee skill development and training

Fascinating work, family environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiverse client base and wide range of client issues keeps work interesting
    Lots of long term clients
    Long term tenure of staff
    Friendly and relaxed environment. Most people are willing to help.
    Cool building

ConsNo formal training programs so development depends on the quality of your mentor/supervisor
    Family environment has its drawbacks, sometimes dysfunctional
    Lack of formal structure/chain of command
    Senior partners disconnected from day to day

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more support, resources and time for development of all employees

Needs a lot of work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmall company - lots of responsibility right away
    Lots of opportunity for a variety of projects, including interesting travel opportunities
    Great downtown location
    Good benefits for a small company

ConsMost people are difficult to work with. The ones that are great to work with are not in management roles.

Long hours with no appreciation or recognition for your efforts.

Below market pay, miniscule raises, no annual bonus, no 401k for your first year

No flexibility in your schedule - strict business hours and it's not an option to work remotely even for extenuating or occasional circumstances.

No training or professional development opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees so that they're motivated to work hard and stick around.

Working with smart people is a joy

ProsGreat environment if you are a self motivated worker. If you need to be coddled and expect the company to bend to your needs then go work somewhere else but if you like a challenge and want to take it on there are a lot of bright people here to team with
    Get to work with clients immediately

ConsSometimes feel afloat but I find it envigorating. Reminds me of my best music teachers...tough and high pressure but worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more communication and one on one development with senior directors would be helpful

Worked for Leo J Shapiro & Associates? Contribute to the Community!