Leona Group

www.leonagroup.com

Leona Group Reviews

2.3

Bill Coats

Initial startup was cumbersome but fairly positive.

Former Employee - Substitute Educator  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Substitute Educator in Gilbert, AZ

Pros

Met a few engaged, dedicated teachers.

Cons

Did not consistently communicate with Substitute Educators.

Be more concerned about your employees as opposed to all the paperwork.

Horrible experience teaching.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

Pros

I really can not think of any.

Cons

I don't know where to begin! You have no freedom to teach in your classroom using your unique teaching style. The school leader and curriculum coach make you tune in scripted, formal lesson plans as well as your informal lesson plans from your plan book. Then they criticize you when your informal lesson plans are not detailed enough. The school tests and assesses the heck out of lower elementary kids. We assess them weekly and biweekly, using many, many different assessments . It's ongoing and you have no time to teach because you are always assessing. School leadership is horrible. Terrible communication between leadership and staff. No regard for employees families or personal lives. Work comes before all. There is a cattiness amongst the staff, because the school leader has favorite staff and treats them with preferential treatment. The staff that doesn't fall in the school leaders favor gets picked on and bullied to the point of tears. Your prep times are not secured, so they require these intensive lesson plans, and then take your prep times away with all sorts of meetings. You are observed 2-3 times a week, and are watched under the microscope constantly. The feedback you get is always very negative. They videotape you while you are teaching your lessons and then pick your teaching apart. If you don't come to after school volunteer activities, they put that as a strike against you in your end of the year evaluation so that you don't get a raise and then you Re rated "highly ineffective" as a teacher on your Michigan eval. Don't get pregnant while working here either, because you are only allowed 4 weeks maternity leave with pay...even if you have a c-section! I took an 8 week c-section maternity leave and was financially penalized. I was down to making less than $100 a week because they penalized me for having a baby. They are a horrible company to work for.

Put family before your job. You care more about success than actually caring about people. You spoke volumes to me at the annual leona group kick off when you stated in front of the crowd that "you don't work to live...you live to work." I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with you sir.

Substitute Educator

Former Employee - Substitute Educator  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Substitute Educator in Mesa, AZ

Pros

Made initial hiring steps process fairly clear and precise.

Cons

Did not reach out to this employee prior to making assumptions about my employment status/

Communication...communication....communication....NOT after the fact.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not so pleasant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

Pros

I met some decent people working at Leona, but I also met more that was phony and back stabbers.

Cons

The pay is horrible for all the work that they pile on you. And believe me they pile it on without a thought as to the employees family life/health. Several people went out on stress leaves and in every department at corporate people were and still are looking for a better place to work with much better pay. Management does not look out for their employees.

My only advice to management is show some loyalty to your staff, and learn how to be professional. Some are, but most are not. OAN, letters behind your name does not make you capable of doing your job, it just shows that you furthered your education. This include Corporate, so called superintendents of the districts (two or four schools, under performing), what a joke. Arizona Corporate you really should take etiquette course's so that you can relate to the people you think are beneath you like the employees in the Michigan corporate office.

Corporate approach to elementary education

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Mesa, AZ

Pros

The benefits were okay, lack of pay raise due to prior owners' mistakes.

Cons

They cut staff and programs, including P.E. and music, in favor of implementing outdated technology, treat education like a business. We lost students and families due to program cuts and failure to uphold promises regarding smaller class sizes relative to public schools.

There needs to be more experienced educators at the corporate level, and greater respect and consideration for teachers, parents and students. What works in a corporate office may not be appropriate for small children in particular.

Get rid of the old

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Good benefits and most of the school leaders care about the staff

Cons

Some of the school leaders have been in the same school to long. They need to move along.

A Plateau experience

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

Pros

Decent health coverage, it rivaled some public school systems. There is some oversight of rouge school leaders when they go really "out there" and treat their teachers very poorly. There is some structure to the company, in that there is accountability of school leaders to someone.

Cons

The company drags its schools down with a lot of paper-work and dictates. In some ways, it does not supervise its schools enough, in some ways it supervises them too much. There is no pay schedule, and it turns out the salaries are very below-average for teachers.

Pay your teachers more. I taught at a Leona Group school for quite a number of years, and earned a Master's Degree during that time. I was not given any pay raise when I earned it. My salary when I left would have been competitive if I had taught about half the number of years I actually taught. The bonus structure is a shell game, so you need to just drop it and pay your teachers better. Leona Group will regularly loose teachers with experience to places where they can be paid more for their dedication, experience, and knowledge. If Leona Group is focused on quality schools, do not let business people open charter schools for you. Require school leaders to have been teachers.

Lacks consideration of employees

Former Employee - Teacher  in  East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher in East Lansing, MI

Pros

Provides employee good health benefits.

Cons

Lack of concern for employees view.

Listen to employees complaints and address internal problems

Leona Group, not the worst charter schools

Current Employee - Techer  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Techer in Detroit, MI

Pros

Good health benifits and 401(k) contribution matching.

Cons

poor salaries, no salary structure, opaque decision-making process on raises

treat teachers more like public school teachers when it comes to work rules and salaries.

Worse than public

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

We have a curriculum for most subjects.

Cons

Regular teachers are expected to teach special ed students. There is no sped teacher and no assistance. School leader has no idea what they are doing...why no Master's in Leadership?? Campus not secure...no policies in place. No supplies unless you purchase your own. Pay is $5k less than district and same BS.

Ask for 360 reviews of your school leaders so you see what is going wrong...require experience and a Masters degree for school leaders. Why are schools doing inclusion? You can still have sped pull-outs and have them feel a part of the school.

Worked for Leona Group? Contribute to the Community!