Leprino Foods

Be The First To
Add Photos

Leprino Foods President Larry Jensen

Larry Jensen

Pros:
  • "Not many companies do profit sharing like Leprino"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Decent pay for area, easy to find, it could be worse it could be fast food"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Had to leave as stress of no work/life balance was literally killing me"
    in 9 reviews
  • "There is no movement unless you're part of the good ole boys club"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good changes in IT

SAP IT (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsOver the past 1 1/2 years, our new CIO from Pepsi has made some very good changes in IT and set a good direction for the future. Excited about our culture in IT. Additionally, our CFO (soon to be CEO) who is also from Pepsi is also driving good changes in the Finance departments as well. Proud to say we have a good culture, strong management, better business alignment, and are well funded. Night and Day from where we were 4 years when I started. Looking forward to the future a Leprino Foods.

ConsSome of the legacy employees have been challenged with new environment and changes in culture, management, etc. Things were relatively static for so many years that change, regardless of how positive, can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep good communicate and commitment to our Mission and Vision of IT.

Evolving culture...private company appeal

ProsThe products are world class
    The market for the whey/lactose products is booming
    Becoming more global in approach and culture
    Solid leadership

ConsMoves slower than multi-billion dollar/multi-national companies
    The cuture is still evolving...but on the right track
    Coprorate office needs a makeover...which is in progress!

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat opportunity to drive cultural change at the company - as new people come in from different corporate experiences they are looking for a culture and a manager that they can personally identify. The foundation is already there and with some more focus this can be an amazing place to work for all employees.

Amazing, but not in a good way

Break Relief (Current Employee)
    Roswell, NM

Pros*Good benefits
    *Good pay
    *Good 401K
    *Great at producing cheese
    *Good job stability

Cons*Leprino does not value their employees at all in any way
    *Terrible work life balance (50+ hour weeks are normal and at least every other week a weekend day off is taken away to manage a quality crisis that could have been avoided if anyone listened to their employees)
    *Good ole boys club is prevalent. If you're not in the club, I recommend you immediately begin job hunting
    *No advancement unless you are in the good ole boys club
    *Leprino acts like a small company and not an international multi-billion dollar company. Company policies are not only made for each individual plant (instead of company wide) they are also applicable on an individual basis. The rules apply only to whom the managers decide they will apply to and punishments are applied in the same manner. See good ole boys club above
    *Safety is often overlooked until someone is seriously injured. Then it becomes an issue for 4-8 months
    *Too much focus on technical development, absolutely NO focus on leadership development or personnel development
    *Total lack of communication between employees, managers, foremen.... no one is on the same page
    *There is a HUGE emphasis on passing the buck and placing blame rather than being solutions oriented
    *A very pervasive negative, racist, hostile work environment
    *Research EEOC cases against Leprino foods. Google it. Then ask yourself why so many sexual harassment cases and so many racial discrimination cases. And then ask how many people have had these experiences but haven't said anything
    *Leadership is maintained through intimidation and fear

Advice to Senior ManagementVALUE YOUR PEOPLE. You have a lot of great people who want to work hard and contribute and have a stable long term career. They want to contribute and be valuable to the company. They want to make it a great place to work. LET THEM. Don't be so quick to fire people and focus on employee retention. Right now you have the market share but as times change and people talk, someone else will soon take over.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grandiose Managers that are Legends in Their Own Minds

(Current Employee)
    Lemoore, CA

Pros• Good pay & benefits for the area.
    • Good - although somewhat expensive- health care
    • Unbeatable location if you happen to live in the area (no traffic & easy access)

Cons• Personal agendas rather than the common good of the organization are the order of the day.
    • External validation such as money, status, and power are the motivators.
    • Projection and blame, rather than ownership and personal responsibility, are the norm.
    • Fear is the underlying factor for all action. There are narcissist Managers who will bully you and supervisors who mob with them. Watch your back.
    • Rivalry and competition between local management & corporate management block true teamwork and alliance. Makes you wonder if the plan is to eliminate all local management and direct everything and everyone from Corporate offices.
    • Lip service and inauthentic communication are common.
    • Disregard of employees’ needs or feelings is normal and usually rationalized. Expect to work over 60 hours a week if you are salaried; 12 hour shifts for hourly employees will come soon.
    • Discrimination (age, race, gender, weight, sexual orientation, religion, etc.), though denied, is occurring. The lack of women in upper management/technical positions can't be a coincidence.
    • Nepotism is rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementI sometimes wonder if Jim Leprino- the owner- is being conveniently sheltered from how bad things really are in Lemoore West. While I cannot speak of other plants- Lemoore West has become a toxic place to work in. The only thing that stops the already high turnover- is the lack of comparable employment in the area.

No room for advancement

SSI Functional Team Member (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe people are great and make it worth going to work every day.

ConsArchaic vacation policy (everyone starts at 2 weeks, unless you are a Director or above)
    Good ole boy's network
    Too much kissing up by managers and not enough employee development
    No room for advancement unless you are a P&G alum
    Taking sick time is frowned upon even though you accrue one sick day per month

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention...try focusing on that. You say you want to be the best, so hire and RETAIN the best. Hard to do that with such a laughable vacation policy. Speaking of, you should probably do away with your monthly awarded sick days since you frown upon those who actually use them. There are many skilled and intelligent employees occupying the halls in the Corp office. Try reaching out to them by providing opportunities outside of their current role (assuming they're up for that) to allow them to become more well-rounded drones of Leprino. Benefits the whole company in the long run.

Great company that values both tradition and innovation

Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat colleagues to learn from

ConsWorking for a privately held company can be a new experience

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing great young talent

Getting Old

Forklift Operator (Current Employee)
    Lemoore, CA

ProsHave a job. Woo Hoo.

ConsAfter 20 + years we all feel like we took a pay loss due the insurance increase and King Obama increasing the SSI. Most hourly employees feel inslaved here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't do it.

Scientist

Scientist (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prosstable company and job security

Conssalary and complex promotion process

Advice to Senior Managementrespect please and acknowledge their contributions

Production First/ Quality and Employee well being last.

Whey Department Operator (Former Employee)
    Roswell, NM

ProsGood Pay with decent 401k plan.

ConsMany hours of work with no work/life balance. Expected you to work 16 hour shift by notifying you an hour before you go home, even if you just worked a twelve hour shift. Company didn't care if you were there six months of fifteen years, they would tell you were the door is if you couldn't work the long shifts they needed. Most of the long shifts were due to continued quality problems they came up every time we were audited my customers be they never attempted to control the housekeeping for further events.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more appreciation for skilled workers who take care of you.

Worst job of my career

Production Worker (Current Employee)
    Greeley, CO

ProsOne of the best paying jobs in the city. Great co-workers awesome to be around, willing to help you out and help you grow as an employee.

ConsYou can't speak up and say what is on your mind you will be labeled as a negative person. No promotions if your a hard worker and knowledgeable in your job. Promotions given to people who brown nosed the supervisors and not knowledgeable in the areas they work in. Upper management is very disorganized. Managers, supervisors, and team leads are on very different pages. Will work you long hours. You will be written up if your late for a minute, calling out sick is frowned upon. Management does not practice what they preach, as soon as you call them out on it you will be in the dog house with them. Will force you to wear very uncomfortable plastic boots with no foot support. Management will not hear any suggestions employees have.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement you need to loosen up on your dictatorship and work better with employees and treat them better. Turn over is pretty bad due to poor management. The job we do is easy but hard to perform due to you being unorganized. Practice what you preach. Follow your gmp policy you set in place. Change the policies that are bringing morale down.

Worked for Leprino Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Leprino Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Leprino Foods CEO Larry Jensen. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Leprino Foods employees.