Leprino Foods

Updated November 20, 2014
2.9

Leprino Foods President Larry Jensen
Larry Jensen

Pros
  • Great pay and health benefits, 401K, and profit sharing (in 10 reviews)

• decent pay willing to train clean plant (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • terrible work life balance you have to work every shift and everyday can not leave early (in 11 reviews)

• There is no movement unless you're part of the good ole boys club (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good place to work. Senior management not aligned of SAP objectives

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time

Pros

Great products and footprint in pizza industry
    Fiscally responsible management
    Fun and engaging workforce
    Company has respect for workers and treats them well
    Innovation in industry unmatched

Cons

Too much SAP customization which inhibits moving forward as a company
    Conservative in nature almost to a fault

My worst employment experience

Current Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very profitable company and long history in the business. A near monopoly with customers. Customers have no real choice so they must do business with LFC.

Cons

Take a look at some of the serious statements about the leadership of this organization. These are all true. If you are unemployed an need a job the work here until you find a good ace to work. Find former employees on linked in an connect. Then ask them what is I really like. Almost all operations people are unemployable at a larger advanced company. Most are incompetent and simply say yes to keep their lavish compensation.

Sell to public company so these poor employees might be led by competent leaders

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Various in Allendale, MI
    Former Employee - Various in Allendale, MI

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to advance, they promote from within
    Privately owned company with good hands-on owners
    Ability to make a lot of money and has profit sharing

Cons

Hours can be long. Especially on holidays and weekends as they run 24/7 due to the type of work.
    Sometimes supervisors and managers are more worried about production than their employees well being.

Don't overwork your employees. They need the occasional holiday to spend with their families and seeing upper management not around on holidays when you are forced to be was one of the biggest issues I remember.

Best job - EVER. Hands down.

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leprino is a family-owned company with a great story! Executives value the work staff, every one is friendly, there are always opportunities for promotions, changing positions, and increases in pay. What I love most about the company is that they value employee input and ideas. I've experienced this first hand, and I witnessed it with several other employees. I worked in HR, and it was incredible to see how closely the executives worked with the workers from the production floor.

Cons

The only bad thing I can say about this company, is that I wish they had more locations!! :) They have plenty, but I had to relocate to an area where there is no Leprino-presence.

Keep up the awesome work.

successful in spite of themselves

Current Employee - Slave in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Slave in Denver, CO

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and stability as long as you play their game.

Cons

Everyone is miserable there. Whether they admit it and/or not or show it or not. Remember the old adage, "sh!t rolls down hill". Which is never more evident than at Leprino.

which? middle or upper management? ok to middle management... Keep on doing what you are doing and kiss a$$, play their game because you wouldn't know what to do with yourself anywhere else. Upper Management... Who cares... you already made your bed so "lie" in it and continue to roll around in that Leprino "slop".

Great people and corp ethics

Former Employee - Transportation in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Transportation in Denver, CO

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in transportation for 7 years and only left because I had to move closer to my family.
    Great place to work! Get your foot in the door and off you go. I wish I had stayed with them and living in Denver. Great quality of life....

Cons

None, pay is competetive, benefits are good and they have oppty in many parts of the world.
    Work/life balance is excellent

Stay in tune with your employees and you will continue to be successful

Positive momentum in IT and a great place for A players

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy learning new technology/applications and are motivated to apply these to better the business, you will appreciate working here. Innovative self-starters are rewarded with the latitude to learn (via approved training budget) and propose the application of new tools and processes. I've experienced this personally working with receptive and encouraging application managers and directors.

Cons

Not ideal for those who need specific direction and are unable to self-manage.

The new technical career path is a welcomed change, accelerate implementing this as soon as possible.

THE #1 WORST COMPANY ON EARTH

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1 Pro: working at Leprino Foods teaches you how NOT to run a business. EXTREMELY unethical company in all aspects and departments from operations to HR to R&D to quality assurance.

Cons

Where to begin....

First off, notice how a woman has NEVER held an executive position. I'm not even a woman myself, but it's pretty darn obvious.

The owner, CEO and Chairman, Jim Leprino, is the leading cause of this corrupt, unethical, disgusting company. Unfortunately due to his stubborness and age, he gets what he wants or he'll fire those that question him. Don't believe me? Look at the history of the company and the significantly high turnover of those in VP positions.

All VP's, Director's, and Supervisor's that have lasted at this company have lasted for one reason, they all play the role of the "Yes Man". As long as you agree with your superior's, even if that means stabbing people in the back, blamming others for your mistakes, or covering up unethical situations, then you will be able to advance. The majority of people in these positions lack communication skills (most won't even say Hi to you as you pass them in the hallways or stand next to them in the elevator) and seriously lack leadership skills (I have yet to meet anyone in any department who has had confidence in their supervisor).

The only thing that the CEO/Chairman, Vice Chairman, and President (Jim, Dan and Larry) care about is making money. They enjoy their large payments, lavish cars, huge biannual bonuses and everyone else is treated like scum.

On the other hand most middle managers that I encountered (QA Lab, R&D and HR) are a joke. Very under qualified to lead others. For the most part they had many years of experience in their field, and even advanced degrees, but that doesn't mean that should supervise people. The lacked supervisory experience, coaching/mentoring skills, and communication skills (some got nervous disciplining or rewarding people, and others were just too unorganized to even know which way is up). The thing I noticed the most was it is VERY easy for them to call you out on doing something wrong or screwing up around performance review time, but never spent the time developing you and showing you where you went wrong, how to fix it properly, and what to do in the future to avoid similar problems (this is simple root cause analysis people!).

So if this sounds like the company you want to work for, God bless you. Just remember, I tried to warn you.

My advice to upper managment: fire yourselves.

Was a temp

Former Employee - Temp in Lemoore, CA
    Former Employee - Temp in Lemoore, CA

I worked at Leprino Foods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for area, easy to find, it could be worse it could be fast food.

Cons

Shady politics, mediocre health benefits, corrupt management, mistreatment of employees, overworking employees, understaffing, over firing, no set shift schedules. Forget a personal life they want to own you. If you have intentions of going to college or pursuing other areas it won't happen here!

Give set schedules, quit being so quick to fire employees who slave for you!

Good, steady job.

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people and nice facilities. They can pay well, depending on your level. Longer term employees tend to have a high level of pride and loyalty.

Cons

It's not a great place to work if you are not very detail oriented. And, they don't like to change the way they do things, so be prepared to assimilate.

Let the great people you have hired contribute more.