Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss

Updated October 23, 2014
2.1

Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss President Richard M Rothfuss
Richard M Rothfuss

Pros
  • The people are generally friendly and helpful (in 3 reviews)

• PRO- Good pay, benefits, vacation, 401K and location (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There are obvious favorites with the supervisors and managers (in 4 reviews)

• Other things that warrant mentioning: If you want to get hired full time, forget it (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job but it may not be there for much longer.

Current Employee - Deeds Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Deeds Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hourly rate for paralegal is above average compared with competing law firms. They also offer strong benefits and a good 401K plan. My supervisors are great and I am comfortable in discussing any concerns I have with my work or a client.

Cons

You have to work as a temp for a minimum of one year before they will even consider hiring you on and once you are that year as a temp does not count towards anything. You still have to wait 90 days before you receive paid holidays, benefits, and vacation/personal time. The improvement of the real estate market is having a strong negative impact on the influx of business and there are been several rounds of layoffs.

Be more open with employees about the overall state of the firm. Fear and rumors will always have more of a negative impact than the truth.

Get off the Titanic while you have a chance!

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time

Pros

They used to pay well when they had the case referral numbers to sustain it.

Cons

They put all their eggs so to speak in the foreclosure basket and when the case referral market fell out so did LSR. No work life balance. HR is talking puppetry from management that has little humanity to their resources. They foster a work environment of fear and negativity due to lack of communication from management to both attorneys and workers. Any creative work process or work life improvement is shot down with vigor. If you want a heart breaking, frustrating and negative career apply here.

The CEO needs to quit his Pollyanna rose color glasses attitude to what is actually taking place within the firm and care about the employees more by encouraging honest factual communication to what is happening and not just give a rosy outlook one day and a week later have "surprise" layoffs of some of the most senior employees. The disconnect from CEO to employees is painfully clear to this firm clearly on a downward spiral.

Great place to work if you like your every move micromanaged by management that does nothing but tell others what to do because they have no clue themselves

Current Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss (more than 3 years)

Pros

It used to be a great place to work back when there was incentives and perks.

Cons

Everything here is a "con"! Management and most leads don't do anything but watch every move you make to make sure to point out anything that you can do better or faster! Hard work is not rewarded. Team morale is at an all time low.

Be honest with your employees! We all feel like our heads are on a chopping block! "Surprise layoffs" are not good for business! Realize that when you layoff, someone else has to take on that persons job on top of their own so COMPENSATE accordingly!

Ok place to work.

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked there as a temp for over a year.I liked the people and was always busy and moving around which made the days go by pretty fast.

Cons

My first impressions when I first started was that people seemed very unhappy and didn't talk much to other co-workers. The employees were always being moved to other departments and whole departments moving to other area's. While I was there there were about three or four mass layoffs which made people on edge about being next losing their job. The more people they laid off the more work was put on other employees. Also, I noticed sometimes legal paperwork being sent to clients was sloppy. They want quanity over quality.

Be more open with employees to eliminate rumors of what is going on and instead of moving people in and out of departments and demoting after promoting, put up a job board so the employees can apply for a job.

It was a great to work until the CFO took charge

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Liked the type of work I did. Was moved a few times but had great co-workers

Cons

Was a great place to work until the past year. The CFO is running the office and obviously has no people skills. She only cares about her minions. Human Resources doesn't exist it is null and void. The CFO treats people like they are children. Everyone in the office knows and openly discusses,the more power she takes on the worse it gets. The thing that is the saddest is that the owner seems to allow her to be more and more in control. Seems greed has taken over and he has forgotten all of the loyal people that have given their lives to his company to help him be successful. I was let go because of cuts and I understand it is business but not a reason to treat people so poorly.

Get rid of the CFO and start caring again about your workers. You get more by showing appreciation and treating people like adults. They will not have to worry much longer as I know more people looking for a new job than those wanting to stay there.

A company that provides great opportunities for mature adults that want to work

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time

Pros

I think LSR has provided great training, opportunites and benefits over the years. It is very unfortunate they are in an industry that is not controlled by the company but instead the economy. They try hard to give staff a work life balance. They also try hard to give opportunities for everyone whether based upon experience or education as long as they work and don't have a sense of entitlement. They provide a very nice work environment.

Cons

The only con I can see in this company is the fact that there are people working there that may not be business minded to understand things that happen in this company are no different than any other company would need to do given the circumstances of the industry.

This place is a foreclosure mill - unconcerned with ethical behavior

Former Employee - Case Management Attorney in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Case Management Attorney in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Congenial colleagues.

Cons

I worked there as an attorney. The workload is very intense. So, in order to meet deadlines, one is asked to cut corners and not do a complete review of the case file. Their favorite saying is "Trust the Machine", which means that the attorneys are expected to just sign the pleadings that are sent to them by the paralegals, without complete review - there simply isn't enough time for that. The statement that most typifies the firm's attitude: "It doesn't need to be done right, it just needs to be done." IMHO, their method of operation is unethical.

Eliminate the unadulterated greed of the partners and get back to doing good work.

Legal Assistant II

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are super nice!! I am glad I got to work here as long as I did, the attorney's and staff were super friendly and helpful! :)

Cons

This market is down, just be forewarned.

I have no advice, they handled my lay off great! I would say I would have loved a little more notice, but things happen.

Paralegal

Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbus, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing, it was a terrible place to work.

Cons

Everything. Management was terrible. I worked in the Columbus office and the commute was terrible. They didn't pay for parking. They treated employees like crap.

Get in a new job market.

Fantastically Crappy Place to Work

Current Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I guess pay. But if you have a college degree and quality skills you quikly realize that you are being totally taken advantage of.

Cons

Lets see where do I begin....

Management is terrible. There is a complete disconnect between the staff and upper management. As I have said before you can not manage or supervise me if you have no idea how to do my job and that seems to hold true for this place. They treat you like uneducated children who have to be constantly supervised and berated no matter how great of a job you are doing.

If you like working in a micromanaged but completely uorganized enviroment then this is the place for you. The maagers, supervisors and team leads are all craptastic. I have sat and watched my team lead cry 3 times at her desk in front of everyone! Who does that!?!?

I hate this place and I am looking everyday for somewhere else to work. Oh and did i forget to mention i was a temp for 2yrs before i was hired in. 2YRS!!!!!. Don't do it people run as far away from this place as you can. It is a soul sucking establishment that will use your talents to there advantage and discard you whenever they get the chance

Quit please the place will run so much better. Stop fooling yourselves. If it wasn't for the people you manage cleaning up your everyday messes, you would have no clue what to do with yourselves