Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss

Updated September 14, 2014
2.4

Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss President Richard M Rothfuss
Richard M Rothfuss

Great job but it may not be there for much longer.

Current Employee - Deeds Paralegal  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Deeds Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hourly rate for paralegal is above average compared with competing law firms. They also offer strong benefits and a good 401K plan. My supervisors are great and I am comfortable in discussing any concerns I have with my work or a client.

Cons

You have to work as a temp for a minimum of one year before they will even consider hiring you on and once you are that year as a temp does not count towards anything. You still have to wait 90 days before you receive paid holidays, benefits, and vacation/personal time. The improvement of the real estate market is having a strong negative impact on the influx of business and there are been several rounds of layoffs.

Be more open with employees about the overall state of the firm. Fear and rumors will always have more of a negative impact than the truth.

A company that provides great opportunities for mature adults that want to work

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time

Pros

I think LSR has provided great training, opportunites and benefits over the years. It is very unfortunate they are in an industry that is not controlled by the company but instead the economy. They try hard to give staff a work life balance. They also try hard to give opportunities for everyone whether based upon experience or education as long as they work and don't have a sense of entitlement. They provide a very nice work environment.

Cons

The only con I can see in this company is the fact that there are people working there that may not be business minded to understand things that happen in this company are no different than any other company would need to do given the circumstances of the industry.

Legal Assistant II

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are super nice!! I am glad I got to work here as long as I did, the attorney's and staff were super friendly and helpful! :)

Cons

This market is down, just be forewarned.

I have no advice, they handled my lay off great! I would say I would have loved a little more notice, but things happen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Paralegal

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbus, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing, it was a terrible place to work.

Cons

Everything. Management was terrible. I worked in the Columbus office and the commute was terrible. They didn't pay for parking. They treated employees like crap.

Get in a new job market.

Fantastically Crappy Place to Work

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I guess pay. But if you have a college degree and quality skills you quikly realize that you are being totally taken advantage of.

Cons

Lets see where do I begin....

Management is terrible. There is a complete disconnect between the staff and upper management. As I have said before you can not manage or supervise me if you have no idea how to do my job and that seems to hold true for this place. They treat you like uneducated children who have to be constantly supervised and berated no matter how great of a job you are doing.

If you like working in a micromanaged but completely uorganized enviroment then this is the place for you. The maagers, supervisors and team leads are all craptastic. I have sat and watched my team lead cry 3 times at her desk in front of everyone! Who does that!?!?

I hate this place and I am looking everyday for somewhere else to work. Oh and did i forget to mention i was a temp for 2yrs before i was hired in. 2YRS!!!!!. Don't do it people run as far away from this place as you can. It is a soul sucking establishment that will use your talents to there advantage and discard you whenever they get the chance

Quit please the place will run so much better. Stop fooling yourselves. If it wasn't for the people you manage cleaning up your everyday messes, you would have no clue what to do with yourselves

Horrid people worse company

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss as a contractor

Pros

ABSOLUTELY NONE I am ashamed of my time involved with this foreclosure racket

Cons

EVERTHANG ! Truly everyone hates everyone and everyonebackstabs the next one.

grow a pair and get out of that place

It could be so much better

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss

Pros

People who work there work hard and are wonderful.

Cons

Management leave plenty to be desired

People skills on your management team should be a must.

Good entry level position, not much room to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

LSR is a good place to get started as an entry level employee and allows a good resume building experience in programs used and information gathered

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much room to grow within the organization. While they say you will only be a temp for 6 months, there have been many people that were temps for 12-18 months.

Prior employee - multiple positions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time

Pros

Being downtown. Working with friends.

Cons

HR is a nightmare. Condescending email messages are regularly sent from HR belittling the employees. Employees are not supposed to talk to one another. Ill-trained management. Grave lack of concern/respect for employees. Extremely low morale. Temps can be kept for years with no benefits, no direct hire and terminated out of the blue.

If even a scintilla of respect was shown to the employees, the morale would dramatically increase. The constant rules, belittling and condescension shown to employees is embarrassing to the company and the cause for the horrible morale level. Recognize that many of your employees only make it through the day there because they work with friends. Allow them to say hello to one another without condescension. After all, THEY are the ones who are making the firm run.

Never Again

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Getting paid is the only true pro - being able to walk around downtown Cincinnati was a plus because you could go out on your lunch break and actually do something.

Cons

So many -
    Basically all your co-workers are ready to stab you in the back and gossip. Quite open about their personal lives to an inappropriate degree (often regarding significant others - I couldn't care less thank you).
    You are a cog not a person - they don't take the time to get to know you since they (reasonably) assume that in a fairly short amount of time you will be replaced by a new temp.
    Getting hired on directly is practically impossible.
    The departments usually have no clue what the other departments do and employees are discouraged from cross training - there were times I had to explain the legal process to other attorneys at the firm how the eviction process works (I didn't have a clue before I started the position).
    When I interviewed I had specifically said that I didn't want to have to work/speak with the defendant. This changed towards the end of my time their I was sort of "promoted" as I got to do my own job, the job of a girl who left, and expected to help with the overload of some of my other directly employed full time co-workers.

Learn what the people under you do, learn what you should do and actually do it.

Worked for Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss? Contribute to the Community!