LesConcierges

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.1

Matt Clemenson & James Eyton

Pros
  • commuter's ease to Union Square location (in 4 reviews)

• If you have a family or you're concerned about health benefits, you'd probably be better off elsewhere for a health plan (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • the company is very heavy on the upper management with a lot of VP titles thrown around (in 6 reviews)

• very less communication from senior management, low involvement in decision making (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible experience, would not recommend it.

I worked at LesConcierges

Pros

Office location is good for transport.

Cons

Management was poor. Favouritism was strong.

Start again from top down.

Hard work pays off!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LesConcierges full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The location and office environment is very modern and it is rare to feel obligated to work overtime. Overtime opportunities are usually available however, and it is nice to be able to have the opportunity to increase your paycheck if you are willing to work for it. You can come in to work, do your job, and leave it at work. Compensation is in line with other jobs in the hospitality industry and the bonus structure is great if you work hard enough to get the full pay out. Manager's are direct in what they expect of you in terms of performance level and provide helpful insight of how to deal with difficult customers. The HR department is wonderful and supportive, if you ask for support that is.

Cons

There could be more resources and educational trainings and more career guidance if you are hoping to move up in the company. Yes, the company is growing so there is a lot of opportunity, but the company has expanded very fast and there isn't too much of a focus on developing employees.

Reach out and engage more with the concierge and collaborate. Great things can come from working together.

Sep 9, 2013Head of Employee Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to review LesConcierges. We appreciate you highlighting the positive aspects of working at LC, specifically the financial opportunities that are available to employees ... More

Do Not Accept a Job Here Unless it is your Only Hope

Former Employee - Corporate Concierge in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LesConcierges full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are fantastic! Interesting people, friendly & helpful. It is a good thing they are helpful because the training is pathetic. The office looks nice the first time or two you see it. You'll learn about cool places. (but won't ever get to go there while you are working here).

Cons

It took me more than 4 months after leaving here to write this review cause I was so bitter and burnt out and I want to be realistic. Talking with other people who left around the same time on Facebook I realized we all felt the same way and I wanted to contribute something to steer people way from this pitfall. It LOOKS good. They TALK a good game. They even say it's "not your typical call center" as they guide you around the building. The reality is awful, just awful.

The long term employees are bitter and just playing the games to get the QA scores they need to keep people off they're backs. QA is ridiculous, I'm not even going to waste time talking about how useless their "new improved" system is. You will be held to arbitrary, ever changing standards even as the calls keep coming in. They talk about "white glove service" but that's really not what happens, they don't have enough staff to make that work. They seem to spend a lot of time getting people in the door then make them miserable until they leave.

What do I miss least? Horrible supervisors with no management experience. Total lack of support when customers are upset. Constantly being asked to do more with no extra perks or rewards (if you last here a year you are basically senior staff!!!!). And the stress of little to no time off (realistically impossible, every one calls in sick to go on vacation, wink wink).

About some of the other reviews on this site: be very wary of any reviews that mention the great work of the HR department - any one who has ever worked here knows this is not true. And why are all the good reviews anonymous?

Where to start? Treat your employees like human beings. You hired them because they are exciting people and then you squeeze the life out of them. There is one trainer, Justin, who really taught people how to sound great on the phone and to have some style. He is the only reason I lasted there at all. The other trainers are useless. The HR department is clueless and out of touch, they only cater to the needs to the management employees and ignore/harass the worker bees. And taking a survey and another survey and another survey is frustrating and made me feel crazy for even thinking all this talk about change was anything more than talk. Stop sending out surveys. Listen to the people who really do the work and answer the phones. And stop basing everyone's workday on the worst software I have ever seen. I wish you well cause you gave me a job when they were hard to find. But you treated me like replaceable, breakable object and I had to leave.

LesConcierges has huge potential

I have been working at LesConcierges

Pros

Pros:

Ability To Grow – with the company growing as it has there is a lot of opportunity for those that want to take it to grow with the company. There is so much work to be done – the potential is phenomenal. The leaders have done an amazing job of getting the company to this place.

Culture – the company culture is still intact even with the growth. It is a fun and fast paced environment with very amazing and unique employees that make this company’s culture what it is. Everyone supports each other, and while doing hard work, still really like to enjoy what they are doing.

Loyalty – the management of the company is very loyal to their employees who have in turn given their blood, sweat and tears to get the company to where it is.

Concierges – the front line of the company is the concierges and they are amazing at what they do. They embody the company’s culture and help clients to make their lives better. The company would not be what it is today without them.

Clients – the ability for the company to customize to meet clients’ needs is a differentiator for the company. They take the clients goals/wants/needs and make them real.

Cons

Cons:

Upper Management – the company is very heavy on the upper management with a lot of VP titles thrown around. Senior team should look at those that are actually doing the work that don’t necessarily have VP titles; they are the backbone of keeping things going.

Infrastructure – with the growth the company is struggling to put the support in place that is needed to take the company to the next level.

Values - we should be living our values every day not just when it is convenient, that comes from the top down.

Get in touch with your employees, manage by walking around, invest in the people that are doing the work, prepare for the future of the company as I can see the potential!

Sep 9, 2013Head of Employee Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to review LesConcierges. Your review accurately captures this moment in the history of LC — both pros and cons. While we are fortunate to experience growth we are also ... More

Miserable. Toxic. Demoralizing.

I worked at LesConcierges full-time

Pros

The location is nice; San Francisco is a great city.

Cons

Incompetent management, lack of direction/leadership, no communication, no structure, no respect; almost everybody here is miserable. If you are a Concierge, you will be treated like crap. Teams are short staffed; you will be worked like a slave and expected to do the work of 2-3 people as you work on multiple competing accounts. You will be micromanaged to the point where it feels like you are in prison.

People get burnt out fast and there is an extremely high turnover. If you last more than a year you will probably end up suicidal.

Good work is not rewarded, and there is a severe lack of training and almost no opportunities for growth. You could work here 10 years and never be promoted or get a raise, not even to keep up with inflation. Working at LesConcierges is a job, not a career, and I would only recommend it as a last resort if you are desperate for money and have no other job prospects.

Hire more people, and treat your employees like human beings. Offer more paid time off so people don't burn out as fast.

LEFT JOB -- RECLAIMED SENSE OF WELL BEING

Former Employee - Corporate Concierge
    Former Employee - Corporate Concierge

I worked at LesConcierges

Pros

Work Location - great shopping/dining area
    Opportunity to be exposed to cultural diversity via clients and coworkers

Cons

Too many to list: from antiquated database program that fails constantly to micromanagement of staff. Aesthetics of interior office space more important to company than cumulative ergonomic efficiency of departments. Employee concerns vaguely addressed, if at all, via anonymous suggestion boxes. Discouraged and stressed out employees; high turn-over.

This job requires a good-standing relationship, not only with the manager (if possible) , but the doctor. The stress is a toll on the BP.

I've never regretted leaving Les Concierges

I worked at LesConcierges full-time

Pros

Many coworkers are talented and fun. They are universally overworked and underappreciated. It's nice to be rewared with a bottle of champagne. But undergoing constant monitoring and recording and then told all about your shortcomings was dispiriting - especially since the company allows no time to fullfil customer requests. It's all about answering time.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for client & customers. Software support & time management do not allow for responsible fulfillment of client requests.

I think it's hopeless.

I should have stayed in school - my parents warned me about jobs like this.

Current Employee - Corporate Concierge in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LesConcierges full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay seemed ok (see below) and the location is neat. If you can afford it, there are lots of great restaurants nearby and a lot of bars ... which you will need to drown your sorrows. If you are in the upper ranks you will get to party a lot and not really do much (STAY IN SCHOOL, KIDS!!)

Cons

Pay was good, so I thought, but then I started doing the job - awful. Management is often abusive, several employees come to work high and some of the mangers stagger in hungover with some regularity. The "SmartAgent" application is terrible, the helpdesk tries to deal with it best they can but they are just as helpless in fixing the problems as we are. The IT manager is quite showy and loves to throw out fluff but doesn't really seem to know what is going on and relies on surveys which are manipulated to show how things are getting better. Bottom line, the application is horrible to use and no ammount of free backrubs is going to fix it. The company always feels like they are on the verge of collapse - the senior management lives in an ivory tower and seem to have no value for anyone not wearing a 1000$ suit. My coworkers toil like slaves in the bowels of a ship just waiting for the oppoorunity to jump escape.

I should have stayed in school - then I wouldn't have to work in this terrible place.

Aug 21, 2013Head of Employee Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to review LesConcierges. As a current employee we urge you to speak with HR if you feel that inappropriate or unprofessional behavior has occurred. We do not condone ... More

Toxic environment with a capital T.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LesConcierges full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. It's close to Union Square. Office has windows.

Cons

Cronyism, favoritism, elitism, unprofessional, the list is almost endless. Middle managers who act like a clique out of Mean Girls (the Plastics?). You are not worthy of their time. Middle managers who regularly speak down to or chastise their employees in public. No one there seems to know the meaning of the word professionalism. You will only be promoted if you're in with the "plastics." Doesn't matter if you get high at work, show up mildly drunk or worse, if you're in with the four or five "managers" you'll get promoted even if there isn't a position open or existing.

No raises, absolutely no communication from anyone to anyone, huge divide between what they think concierges do and what the concierges actually do, no standard policies, no support for the working staff. And a very unethical environment.

Concierge work in teams for certain companies but told that they cannot work on different accounts because of contractual obligations. However this is contradicted when the concierge are asked to work on different accounts, then asked to hide all evidence when the account managers of each account do their rounds of the office.

The M.O. of the company seems to be turn and burn rather than retain the good, hard working, intelligent workers who will question your policies occasionally and have opinions to better their working environment. The company seems to prefer yes men and women. And god forbid you have an opinion about something. You'll be ostracized so quickly by these "managers' that you won't know what hit you.

Oh and the concierge cannot print anything out. Any time any document needs to be printed, only a "manager" can print it out. That's if you can find one.

Get rid of your entire middle and upper management team and start fresh with a new attitude and drive. Then hire leaders and motivators rather than promote favorites to "management" who are dragging the company and employee morale down. Management will not see it but these people are sucking the company dry with their elitism, unethical, and vindictive behavior. And for heavens sake, let them print.

Aug 21, 2013Head of Employee Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to review LesConcierges. It is clear that you are frustrated with your work environment. We have had several changes to management and implemented new policies and ... More

Unethical and questionable business practice.

Current Employee - Corporate Concierge in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LesConcierges full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice location, though, expensive
    Really nice co workers
    Reasonable pay and bnenefits

Cons

Management is dangerously incompetent and very dishonest
    IT department is a joke - I think I know more about things than the "help desk"
    Favoritism, elitism, and pretty much bad "ism" you can think of

Sell the company and let somebody who knows what they are doing run it. Outsource everything you can - start with the Help Desk.

Jul 8, 2013Head of Employee Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to review LesConcierges. We appreciate your positive comments and also hear what you expressed as areas for improvement, specifically our IT Department. As anyone who ... More

LesConcierges Photos