Leslie Hindman Auctioneers

Updated July 30, 2014
Updated July 30, 2014
2.4

CEO

Positive experience working with talented individuals.

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are knowledgeable and driven and work at a fast pace. Departments are fully prepared for sales and art handlers are an excellent, supportive system for the entire company. Upward mobility possible. Excellent marketing and promotional materials.

Cons

Intern program was poorly supervised. Seems to be a high level of turnover for many positions, office culture can make LHA seem more like a stepping stone than a place to stay for a long time.

On-the-job training is valuable, of course, but the company could benefit from some more seasoned, knowledgable, qualified specialists.

Looks great on your resume, but you will have no social life.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leslie Hindman Auctioneer is a great place to network and hopefully lead you to a better job. You are exposed to interesting pieces of art.

Cons

Be prepared to lose your social life. Employees often work on weekend, which would be fine if the pay didn't put you near the poverty line. I've witnessed her send a co-worker on a business trip and make them sleep on a friends couch. Employees are encouraged to be catty. She views her employees as "disposable assets." Her words not mine.

Positive reinforcement will produce positive results. If you want your employees to work 80hrs/wk at least make it a place they want to be.

Sad But True

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are a number of interesting objects that you come into contact with everyday. It is challenging and informative to work with such a large diversity of items and will force you to quickly acquire new terms and knowledge you might not have had prior.
    Depending on what department you work in (jewelry? accessories?) you seem to be safe from the terrible experience of working upstairs. If you want to work in gems and jewelry I would say ignore the below commentary.

Cons

When I was considering working for Leslie Hindman a number of appraisers, curators, and fellow museum professionals warned me about the move, strongly urging that I not work there. But when offered the job I figured I had to see for myself.
    - I was not trained but immediately asked to preform client management, accounting paperwork, condition reports, etc. without any information regarding protocol, standards or formatting. After completing a task i was quickly admonished for short comings that always came in a negative form and were never couched in helpful critique but as dismissive.
    - I was told to ask questions in order to fill in their lack of training but asking questions was clearly frowned upon and met with disdain, if not outright hostility. I quickly learned to avoid asking questions in favor of asking other "newer" peers or googling anything and everything.
    - The hours are ridiculous and there is a work for work's sake mentality where people stay in the office and are inefficient just so they look like they are the last ones to leave and hence the most "productive". Lunch is taken at your desk (why?! - no reason other then peer pressure).
    - Timelines are poorly communicated and no one discusses pipelines. Serious lack of management skills here.
    - I have never worked in an office with more gossip and negative infighting. You constantly feel as if someone is either speaking negatively regarding you or about to yell at you at any moment.
    - Unless you are being ignored - being ignored I found was one of the only major positive points in my day. If I was being ignored then I wasn't being yelled at or corrected over some superficial point.
    - Once they find that you are proficient at one thing they will force you to do it (forever). The diversity of tasks assigned is minimal truncating your potential for growth and skill-building.
    - Intelligent, charismatic and generous staff members are treated without care, and you will quickly find that those individuals who are true team players and great at what they do hate coming to work and dread the work load, are not supplied with adequate staff, supplies, or time to get things done. Short-comings due to improper allocations are then placed on staff as our fault.
    - No windows in the building and poor overhead lighting. A very unattractive and sad work environment. People are crowded together, desks crammed in where ever they can find space. Open floor plan makes detail orientated tasks super difficult because its hard to focus over the noise and interruptions.
    - False niceness is rampant. Beware - pet names, nick names and sweet email sign offs doesn't mean that you are safe.
    - You will find out about a number of things that "Leslie hates" and which imperil your job but which you would never know about - "jazzy clothing", the phrase "no problem", certain hair styles, certain clothing styles for women....all things that you are never informed of until you make the error and then have someone on top of you for it.
    - Rapid staff turn over.
    - Lastly, with a masters degree and 6 years experience you can expect your pay to start at $38,000/year and that is if you are lucky. While management drives new Mercedes her staff is on food stamps. Get ready for that.

Have a real HR department. Train your staff. Express clear goals and measurements to which you will hold your staff accountable. PAY people fairly. Stop the infighting and favoritism.

Positive and constructive experience!

Former Employee - Spring Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Spring Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment to intern. The staff members are very respectful and helpful, willing to answer questions about the company's procedures and the art business in general. The dialog between departments is very dynamic, so I was able to participate in a whole range of activities across departments. Human resources was always active in meeting my necessities and professional interests. The information was very clear form the begging to the end of the program. Constructive feedback is given about your performance at the end of each project or activity.

Cons

I didn't have a permanent desk, so I had to move around the building with a laptop provided by the company.

Great exposure, introduction to the auction community

Former Employee - Intern - Fine Jewelry and Timepieces in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern - Fine Jewelry and Timepieces in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Employees: Worked with a great team! I interned primarily in Fine Jewelry and Timepieces but got exposure to many other departments as well. Had the opportunity to see the entire auction process through and assisted in catalogue, design and layout for the fall 2013 auction. The people I worked with were extremely knowledgeable and were always more than happy to explain and teach me about the history of pieces that interested me or that they thought I would like.

- Atmosphere: Since you are constantly surrounded by pieces brought in for auction it is a very cool place to work, always something interesting to look at or ask about. The office is also very open, so you have a lot of opportunities to network in between departments and upper level management.

- Auction Experience: Had the opportunity to work several auctions, interact with clients, and keep both written and electronic auction records. Brief exposure to online bidding platforms. It was very interesting to see what roles were required and what they specifically involved.

Cons

- Varied hours: no firm beginning and end to the work day, but not unusual in this field

- Unpaid: again, not unusual in this field for an internship

Overworked and underpaid.

Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All employees, regardless of their position, are exposed to interesting items. I enjoyed the fast-paced nature of auctions and having to think on my feet.

Cons

Client Services Representatives are required to work full-time, all weekend previews and auctions, sometimes for 3 weeks straight. I never once received a lunch break. I was verbally abused by client complaints on a regular basis.

The owner is sexist. Men make significantly more. She hires employees solely based on their looks. She is notoriously known for saying "inappropriate things" to employees and getting away with it. I highly discourage anyone from seeking employment at LHA.

Phase out CEO.

Interesting industry, high turnover

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time

Pros

Exposure to an interesting variety of auction items from couture to decorative and fine arts.

Cons

It is a catty, sophomoric atmosphere. Not only are there no performance reviews or constructive feed back, but you are barely acknowledged at all and discouraged from asking questions relating to your performance. This is unnerving in a company with an extremely high turnover rate, and is a factor in the anxiety and low morale of the employees. Because of the high turnover rate a lot of the departmental knowledge and understanding of how the company runs is lost. The company seemed to be a popularity contest based on the whims of the owner.

It would be helpful to have a real, experienced HR professional who people feel they can come to and be treated respectfully and fairly. Provide constructive feedback to employees so they know what they are doing well and what they need to improve on. I applaud the owner on being very savvy and always looking for the next way to build the company, but it may be advantageous to ease up on expansion until some of the issues at the existing offices are smoothed out.

Hired as IT Director. Fired for 'not doing enough marketing'

Former Employee - IT Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the work the company does. I was very interested in the ever changing selection of items for sale. I was able to use my extensive experience to be a liaise with a software development company to develop the still working LHLive bidding platform.

Cons

I was hired as IT Director with no marketing experience. I was let go for 'not doing enough marketing'. I think this is due to management's lack of direction and people skills, as the marketing director was fired just a month before I was let go.

As far as career development goes, there is 0. Unless your name is on the letterhead, there is no way to advance in this company. New hires are often hired as "director" of their department with little decision making power. I was IT director, but was not able to make any decisions.

You need to be a bit clearer in your expectations of your employees.

Intern at Leslie Hindman

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Saw a wide variety of property, everyone friendly on a person level

Cons

High employee turnover, interdepartmental cattiness

Quality introductory experience for the auction/ art worlds.

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interns are encouraged to work with multiple departments within the company, which allows them to gain a broad understanding of how the auction business works.

Cons

The internship is unpaid, and it is not an easy place to get to. It would be helpful if interns could choose to specialize in a certain department.