Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Updated August 26, 2014

2.7

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Chairman and CEO Lawrence H. Hayward
Lawrence H. Hayward

Pros
  • Learned a lot about pools as one can imagine which was really helpful because I have a pool (in 3 reviews)

• Advancement opportunities, slow winters, interesting work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Hence always understaffed and low pay (in 6 reviews)

• Upper managers need better training on motivating store managers to produce high sales figures (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job experience

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Pros

Working at Leslie's isn't so bad. Easy to learn, fast paced during summer time, good for students to apply.

Cons

Poor pay for anything above Lead Sales Associate, long winter hours, constant budget cuts with impossible to meet budgets.

Fire whoever currently budgets. When you increase profited budgets, costs should go up as well. They have no clue how to budget based on that affect the hours/pay of employees that stay long term.

It was interesting

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was good, the hours were constant, and there was a lot of down time. This job teaches you time management and brings out your creativity. There's also lots of opportunities for growth in the company.

Cons

The chlorine in the air, the constant whining from corporate about cleaning and small, worthless, time consuming details. Also the customers can get rather rude and having nobody to turn to really sucks.

If you have a cool GM like I did, your time at Leslie's will be legit. Befriending them is a must.

No too shabby

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of over time, great training, room to move up.

Cons

no commision, reak of chlorine

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tremendous opportunity to learn and grow within a retail enviroment, If, you can deal with the "corporate world".

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

With the right mindset the sky is the limit. Promotion from within. Gain experience.

Cons

Tracking reports for EVERYTHING! Lower than average pay for requirements. Success rides heavily on direct report's ability to perform.

Practice what you preach. Promote district managers and regional VP's that exercise quality leadership skills. Stop rewarding upper management that rules with fear, intimidation, and threats. Provide improved work life balance for retail management employees. In general take care of your people so that you may be rewarded in the long run and not suffer the consequences of constant management turn over.

Great Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Flexible Schedule
    -Lots of down time

Cons

-Long slow days
    -Lots of information to process

Hire more people

Lead Sales Associate

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies part-time for more than a year

Pros

Winter is great, really slow and just have to do petty work. Summers are crazy busy and no time to relax.

Cons

This company is terrible. They don't stick to promises. Cut your hours randomly making it hard to live! Going from 40 hours to 10 in a matter of a days notice is just pathetic and unethical after being promised 30+ hours minimum. The pay is terrible. New hires are making more than me and I've been with the company for a few years. if you plan to work here longer than the summer, dont expect to be treated fairly even if you are the back bone to the company....

Don't promise people things you cant follow through with.

Great people and products.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved that they put customers first and promote from within.

Cons

Pay could be better and they need to work on the work-life balance. Having just come back from a 20 leave to have my baby the DM wanted me working at least 12 hours a day to catch up on what I missed.

Consider work-life balance and hardships of pregnancy on the body. It takes awhile to spring back.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offer great incentive programs, including the annual President's Club and bonuses for Store Managers. They also try to promote from within and offer succession planning and training for employees.

Cons

The summers get crazy busy, and they don't always have enough staff on hand to deal with the increased workflow. They delay hiring until the last minute when they should prepare in advance so the seasonal employee's are trained by the time they are needed.

Representative

Current Employee - Representative
    Current Employee - Representative

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On my own a lot.

Cons

This company makes it very difficult to do your job.

Happy employees work harder for you. No one is happy. Moral is at an all time low. You cannot continue to expect double digit growth in established territories.

Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - Service Technician  in  Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great recruiters, managers are very good at making the numbers seem attainable

Cons

Once you get the job you soon realize that the numbers the managers offered you at the beginning are something that you really cant attain

oh god where to start.......

Worked for Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies? Contribute to the Community!