Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Updated January 26, 2015
2.5

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Chairman and CEO Lawrence H. Hayward
Lawrence H. Hayward

Pros
  • They also try to promote from within and offer succession planning and training for employees (in 4 reviews)

• For someone who is willing to work hard, there are a lot of advancement opportunities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no training, horrible management, low pay (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of turnover, seem to bring in a whole new staff minus store managers every summer (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

the people there are like family

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Swedesboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Swedesboro, NJ

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Pros

love the bonuses they have

Cons

i nothing to say bad .love the place

N/A

Be prepared for the madness

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rio Rancho, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rio Rancho, NM

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Pros

Learn about pools and basic chemistry info. Stable job. Most employees have been there long enough to know what they're doing so you can ask them if you are confused about something. Confusion will happen often in the beginning.

Cons

Long hours. Pay wasn't that good. A lot of memorization required including 90% of the products in store plus what you can and can't put in certain pools. People are suspicious of you if you're new as if you will purposely mess up their pool. It gets nuts in the summer and there are not enough employees. They will leave you alone and next thing you know there will be 30 customers. And it takes 20 minutes to explain something to Joe schmo who just bought an intex at Walmart. It can be extremely stressful. You learn everything in store; there is NO class so come will a willingness to learn and memorize a million things.

Hire more people! You charge sky high prices for your products the least you can do is hire enough people to take care of customers.

Quick advancement

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

quick advancement, wintertime is nice and slow

Cons

High turn over rate, generally work alone or with one other person can't use vacation in summer

Staff more people better pay

very stressful, the corporate office is full of idiots, OK pay if your willing to give your life to them.

Former Employee - Store Manager in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in South Florida, FL

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent wages, and great co workers.

Cons

company expects you to do 3 persons job for 1 persons pay in half the time it would normally take.

start appreciating your employees more!

Company needs an overhaul

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you're looking for a company to use as a stepping stone for a better career, this is the place for you.

Cons

Many of upper management never worked a day in the pool industry before coming to Leslie's. Most of all the seasoned personnel have left over the last few years, due to to the companies complete lack of organization, substandard employee relations, pay well below industry standard, shady compensation plans and obviously disconnected to the fact that their employees have families.

Your upper leadership needs to go mainly your president and CEO. Learn to maintain your veteran employees. Don't treat these people as if everyone is replaceable work to keep good people, your company is suffering due to you ignoring these issues.

Ehhhh

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Had the pleasure of working under one of the best managers I'll ever have
    - Winter is quiet time, you can actually relax.
    - Able to learn valuable knowledge of basically anything pool related (you'll be surprised how much you learn)

Cons

- LONG HOURS during the summer
    - Horrible Pay
    - Corporates not bright at all (tells us one thing, and then makes us do another, never consistent)
    - There's never enough employees working

Increase pay, hire enough employees to be able to comfortably run a store during the summer, and let the managers have more say in the stores. You guys aren't in the store as much as we are. LISTEN TO US.

Meh

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Pros

Decent benefits if you can afford them. I have a good manager and we work great together. There are some decent promotion opportunities. Great place to learn and get retail management experience.

Cons

Low pay. Assistant managers are hourly and make $12 or less. Store managers make low to mid $30,000.

Not a family friendly company.

Corporate forgets that with out the employees in the stores, they wouldn't have a job.

Pay employees what they're worth and you will get better quality.

Been here 7 months currently still here

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Slower winter months, not closely supervised if you are doing what needs to be done.

Cons

There are tons of cons with this company- I don't know where to even start. You get no lunch breaks, period. You are alone most days from open to close, so how could you have a break. In my district, the only ones that matter are the store managers, which is probably why they have such a high turnover for all other positions. The pay is terrible. I was hired at 12 dollars an hour as an assistant and told that I will never ever get a raise even if I'm here for 5 years and don't move up. Summer hours are INSANE. You can literally work a 50 hour week... and it's expected, not asked.

Although we are "just in the store level" we are the face of the company. If we aren't happy, that will show to the customers. Listen to our needs and we will be more willing to go above and beyond.

Proceed with caution

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Pros

It's a job and coworkers are the best part of the job. Extremely busy during summer months.

Cons

Low morale over all. Too much pressure. They squeeze the work of 2 out of 1 person daily. Low pay and unfriendly corporate office.

Managers and supervisors should have better people skills and care more about morale

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

My store manager is conscientious and willing to work with me and my schedule.

Cons

Sales only mentality by upper management. Terrible pay for the responsibility. Benefits are nice if you can afford them. Crazy schedule in the summer months.

Pay your employees what they're worth and you won't have such a large turnover.

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Photos