Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Updated November 25, 2014
2.6

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Chairman and CEO Lawrence H. Hayward
Lawrence H. Hayward

Pros
  • They also try to promote from within and offer succession planning and training for employees (in 4 reviews)

• For someone who is willing to work hard, there are a lot of advancement opportunities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no training, horrible management, low pay (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of turnover, seem to bring in a whole new staff minus store managers every summer (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

No life in the summer and go mentally insane in the winter

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leslies is a good place to work if you want to get into management. They hire managers all the time from with in the company. It is very seasonal which is nice because you get paid the same year around, even when your very slow.

Cons

If you have plans to provide for your family and not have to pinch every penny you make, this probably isn't the job for you. Managers make 30k-38k tops. The bonus plans are great, but it depends on how mother nature wants to act in the summer as to whether you have a good year or not.

Be Careful! They will use and abuse you! For next to no pay!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Promote from within, I made it from lead sales associate to store manager in a year.

Cons

Policies constantly changing, store manager is only store manager on paper. Their pay scale is far below average, found out a brand new Assistant Manager was being hired on at $13.50/hr, where I was a store manager and was getting paid less than $13/hr. Be careful!

All store managers do the same job, so why are their hourly rates different at each tier??? Not fair. Why is it that when rates change it only means for new hires? So the existing employees with experience are being paid way less than the new employees with no experience? Doesn't make any since!!! Today is my last day at Leslies, I put my 2-weeks in 2 weeks ago, and will I get my check today like I'm supposed to? No... That's how much leslies cares.

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Commercial Intern

Current Employee - Commercial Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can work with great people and sometimes bad; doesn't attract the best. People i have personally worked with are great.

Cons

Miscommunication from corporate to commercial level. Company is double digit sales oriented, penny pinching at every corner. Lacks investment in itself and employees to grow. Corporate cares only for sales lines at the end of the day. This attitude demoralizes and creates immense pressure on non-corporate staff.
    Lot of lame-duck personnel in both the corporate and non-corporate side of job.

Better synchronicity between corporate and non-corporate level; a person who can understand troubles between the two and resolve them. Re-invest in the company to breed an environment that is proud of itself.

Company is pretty decent overall

Current Employee - Hard Worker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Hard Worker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty relaxed about getting thing done

Cons

Clicky at times, most people are like pawns in a chess game

Understand that your greatest assets are the "lower" people in the company and compensate them better for a lower turnover rate.

Don't waste your time

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Pros

It's interesting and the customers are usually good. There is no holiday rush here if your in a winter market. And they will promote you fast up to store manager.

Cons

Required to work 55+ hours a week for several months straight. Only paid 1/2 time for OT!?(for some mgrs this is less than min wage!) Even if you've been there awhile and won their top awards, you will probably only make as much as an assistant manager at fast food spot. 2 weeks of vacation , but you have to use 1 when they close for Christmas, so really just one. 3 sick days, but you can't take them or even know how many you have? Managers don't get paid for most holidays even though they have to work them ( mgrs get 3, everyone else 6).

This company claims to be pool experts, but most of the stores are run by people that have been doing this for less than 2 years. Pay your managers a decent salary, and they will stick around.

4 years no growth

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's just a job and I enjoyed most of the people I worked with. I made some lasting friendships. It was motivation to get back to school so I would never have to take another job like it.

Cons

Low pay, low morale, lack of respect, poor management , unreasonable upper management, political office environment, high turnover, dead end job, nothing but excuses why they can't deliver on promise of growth, it goes on and on and in. There is more wrong with being employed here than there is right, unless you happen to be an executive or a top earner. It's more like a 3 ring circus and hourly people are the animals used to draw in the dollars! Sad and demoralizing!

Think about the image if the company and figure out a way to bring up morale. Start with respect and value the people who are making it happen for the company. Build a team. There is no team work involved when store have to compete against each other for sales. I could go on and on.

Joke of a company

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I will say you sometimes will work with really good people and if you literally have no choice but to work there you can promote fast so you can get the experience as a manager and get out

Cons

Below national pay average by alot. Managers all do the same job but some make $11hr and some make $16hr. Ive been here 8 yrs and i make $14. Its all subjective. the difference between the lowest paid team member and the highest at store level is usually $3. Honestly i make maybe a hundred more dollars a month but have all the responsibility and my job on the line where my low guy is kicking back with no worries.They have a huge turnover rate. They use you, abuse you (not joking about the verbal abuse), then kick you to the curb because budget wasnt made. This company is all about the bottom line even though they preach customer education over sales. They want 20 different things done all at once every single day including helping customers and have this common saying of single coverage. Which leads me to most of your day is spent alone in the store because the company (almost billion dollar company) can't afford to have two employees working at all times which not only is good for work but our saftey at the stores duh. Dont forget if you make it to be a manager you are really not because everything you do you have to call and get approval which means you dont even run your own store the micro managing of this company is ridiculous. So besides paying you nothing, abusing you on the daily, creating so much stress that ive seen many go through the hospital, working alone, telling you to hit budget or you will be fired the company loves to send the higher ups in corporate out to your stores. I swear its like a cult because these corporate higher ups come in and everything is a secret. No One knows where they are, secret meetings you go to on your day off, conference call after conference call. The corporate higher ups when they come into your store if you are making budget they do say a word and you are a king but it you are down for the year you literally will be yelled and cursed at becAuse you are worthless if you are not helping corporate make their budget( translation: corporate bonuses). Overall if you need to get a job think twice i have no choice about working here as long as i have but you all do so get in and get out because it will be the most stressful job you will ever have. The company motto is pool care made easy. It should be followed by on the backs of your slave workers.

Your customers are your greatest assets but your stores are the ones who help them. Without the stores your company is nothing. Treat us right, pay us decent wages, stop with the threatening of our jobs, let us be happy and proud of working for the company and you will attract better employees and have less turnover.

Good job weak pay

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

it is a stable job, very flexible for a store manager, you became expert in pool stuff, annual conference in a very neat hotel for a long weekend, easy to transfer from location to another. great benefits.

Cons

Horrible pay, too much information to know and to remember, train people is very difficult, a lot of responsibilities, less hours in the winter and crazy busy in the summer...

more competitive pay.

This place is great for a first job or if you don't have to support yourself.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning something new. Helping customers with pools. You can actually meet some pretty cool coworkers. Always room for promotion cause someone is always quitting because of hours or some BS like that.

Cons

Terrible place, only great if you dont have to support yourself. If you are an individual who has to pay for everything by themselves dont even apply. They tell you one thing and its a complete lie. Hours slow down dramatically in the fall and winter. They say the slow some but didnt tell you actual numbers. They say you are full time but are actually part-time. Expect you to do BS when you havent seen a customer in days, sometimes WEEKS! Company is only worried about itself and the store managers and district managers only care about their numbers everyone else is not important. Pay is terrible. Everyone is cheated.

Treat people better. Dont lie to people when hiring. Spend money on upgraded systems.

Great place to work

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies

Pros

People are nice, good culture. Management works hard at helping figure out commission.

Cons

Compensation for commission not always accurate

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Photos