Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Reviews

Reset
2.5
Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Chairman and CEO Lawrence H. Hayward
Lawrence H. Hayward

Pros
  • Promote from within, I made it from lead sales associate to store manager in a year (in 4 reviews)

• Training was hands-on and I learned a lot about the pool industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no training, horrible management, low pay (in 8 reviews)

• I have been there a year and have Store managers calling me on information they should know but they were made managers only because they knew someone (in 7 reviews)

1. ASM

Current Employee - ASM in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - ASM in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career opportunity, service to customers the best, always pleasant with people.

Cons

Hours hard to get, over-worked, to many responsibilities for pay, never weekends off.

Advice to Management

Learn the business, deal with the pain, put effort first, have a career in mind.

2. If you are good, you will max out in 4 years!

Current Employee - Representative
    Current Employee - Representative

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom. Make your own hours.

Cons

If you are good, you will max out your salary in 4 years. They increase your budget targets too fast. Most companies look to get rid of their bottom 5% of producers each year. This company seems to loose the top 5%.

3. Manager in Florida

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

We are left mainly alone. DM comes by maybe once a month, RVP comes twice a year, and corporate comes once a year. If you do your job you and make your sales goals you will be fine. You can literally steal from this company and no one would notice. (I don't personally but I have heard many stories) Plus Leslie"s is so short staff that they are not in the position to fire anyone on the spot. It's more of a long drawn out process.

Cons

What's not wrong. First of all the company is cheap, they don't learn from their mistakes, and no one seems to held accountable for anything. It all trickles down to the store's budget. Broken bags of salt from delivery...let the store consume the cost. I've had broken items, missing items, empty boxes missing products, and my store absorbs the costs. It all hits my bottom line. Corporate charges stores for spending too much on health insurance, advertising, admin. etc. It all gets taken out of the store budget when the stores have no say about it. This hits your P&L and determines whether you receive a bonus at the end of the year. There are too many SKUs and clearance items. I play the SKU game sometimes. I grab a pair of goggles from the rack and look it up in my inventory. I have 5 in stock and haven't sold one all year. I could purge 25% of my stock and be fine. Leslie's has one of the poorest run supply chains I have ever seen and why....because no one is held accountable. The send you large quantities of items you know will rarely if not ever sell. I look around and say this is why my pay is so low. There is so much money allocated to wasteful purchasing. The pay is bad. I have a family of three and we are scraping by. No cable TV, no car payments, low rent, small commute and I still have no disposable income. I can't even afford to purchase Leslie's family health insurance or contribute to the 401K. The only money I owe is to my student loans. The government has deemed it that my income is so low that I can make partial payments to my student loans. This is stressful knowing that they are accumulating interest as we speak. But back to Leslie's cons. Very little chance of upward mobility. My DM would keep me at my store forever. There are very few openings to move up and the openings are already filled by predetermined candidates. There is a huge distance between the stores and corporate. Corporate has one main headquarters in Phoenix, AZ. They make horrible decisions that don't work for every store. They keep wanting to grow more and more stores while other stores are literally rusting away. Subway over-expanded and is now doing what Leslie's should be which is getting rid of non-profiting stores that cannibalize each other and remodeling older stores. Florida is the only state in America that has refillable chlorine jugs. Leslie's business strategy is to lure in people who buy liquid chlorine with a low price and then the manager is to try to up-sell them. Basically it's a foolish strategy. Quantity over quality. The problem is that this is a low cost leader ship strategy and these liquid chlorine customers are not interested in buying anything else. In other words they do not want to spend a dime more on their pool if they do not have to. Why, because pools absorb your disposable income and people get sick of spending money on the pool. I could go on and on but I will leave you with this. Ask yourself; if the pool industry was profitable wouldn't you think Leslie's would have national competition? Leslie's is the only national pool company in the U.S. If it was a truly profitable industry then there would be more competition but there's only regional competition. Don't ever work here unless you are like me and had to take the only offer available at the time.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your supply chain, your POS systems, and look internally to cut back on waste. Stop over spending on areas that are wasteful. I don't need 8 t-shirts and buttons if only three people work in my store and I don't need goggles that never sell. Pay us what we deserve to be paid or else you will keep loosing talented employees. The turnover rate upsets your customers.

5. Leslie's Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, chemical tests can be kind of fun.

Cons

You have to inhale millions of different kinds of chemicals all day. I had severe headaches from the smell of these chemicals.

Advice to Management

They should be paid more, or management should not hire people with so many problems.

6. Review

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of one "pro"...

Cons

Management cares only for profit. Only for profit.

Advice to Management

Wages need to be much higher for low level

7. Leslie's

I worked at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies full-time

Pros

Learned a lot about the pool industry, retail experience, customer service experience, inventory experience, sales and costs to own building

Cons

Customer service and retail are for the select few, upper management needed some work, low raises, unappreciative managers

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing, if an employee does well give them an appropriate raise, promote those who deserve it and work hard, not those who "fit the part"

8. Good stepping stone

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Quakertown, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Quakertown, PA

Pros

Offer benefits & paid vacation as well as flexible scheduling year round for full time employees Good retail/sales/customer service experience builder Offer plenty of overtime (time and a half for hourly associates) during pool season

Cons

They take advantage of employees "flexibility" between stores and do not properly compensate Not much room for promotion Expect managers to live eat breath Leslie's Salaried Managers get less than minimum wage for hours worked past 40/week

Advice to Management

Pay employees better, compensate low tier employees being asked to work at high tier stores for the time they're at the higher tier store

9. Disappointing

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Room for advancement, early closes (most stores close by 7pm), good place to enter the field

Cons

Upper management, pay, work load (responsible for repairs, sales, managing the service section, etc.), stress, lack of autonomy

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better since one does the work of seven (most stores only staff 2 people per store), take harassment claims seriously, support your employees with better benefits, get a better (or really any) training structure in place, more communication between corporate and the stores, and acknowledge weather conditions as a factor in sales.

10. Lead Sales Associate

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Brick, NJ
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Brick, NJ

I have been working at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good sales experience, helpful managers

Cons

Lack of communication between management and sales team

11. Lead Sales Associate

Former Employee - Lsa in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Lsa in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great summer job. Lots of hours in the summer because its really busy and you learn alot about pools and pool chemistry.

Cons

Crappy pay. Horrible management, you are micro managed constantly and even if you do complete all the mindless and tedious tasks the manager pushed off on you cause they didnt want to do it you all you hear are all the negative things. They expect employees that only get paid 8.80 an hour to function like an Assistant Manager without they pay.There are mandatory conference calls that you have to be on even if you are just a Sales Associate. Leslies expects you to travel to different stores to cover for them and then take 3 months just to pay you back for your mileage. In the winter you either get no hours or are forced to work an 11 hour shift by yourself with no break at all.Summers are fun if you enjoy refilling chlorine jugs and testing water every 5 minutes. Horrible place to work with even worse management.

Advice to Management

Focus on the positives. Give employees something to look forward to rather than telling them what they could have done better all the time.

RSS Feed </> Embed