Lethbridge College Reviews

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Lecturer
    Former Employee - Lecturer

I worked at Lethbridge College

Pros

Lovely environment, positive culture and friendly staff

Cons

No cons. Had a positive experience working at this company.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff members concerns ore often

2. I worked a summer position, I enjoyed my time there.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Lethbridge College as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, I learned alot in my field, the things i did at work didnt follow me home and cause me to put in extra unpaid hours

Cons

The training was limited, some decisions were absolutely ill-thought and could have been better planned, some people despised each other in their dept, quite a number of people I observed either did little in their jobs or next to nothing.

Advice to Management

Consider observing what people actually accomplish when management isnt around and merge jobs together and make some cutbacks.

3. Contract position with Educational Enhancement Team.

Former Contractor - Anonymous in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I worked at Lethbridge College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Super flexible contract, very supportive co-workers and a collaborative environment.

Cons

HR was slow to process contract. Delayed payment.

Advice to Management

Speed up contract processing.

5. casual instructor

Former Contractor - Instructor
    Former Contractor - Instructor

I worked at Lethbridge College as a contractor

Pros

I have heard positive employment reports from people working at the college who are not instructors, or not directly involved with teaching students.

Cons

The biggest problem with this college at the moment is that virtually the entire management team is comprised of "Lethbridge people" (i.e. insiders) who have been working at the college as their sole adult job for 20-30+ years. This means that people who have absolutely no perspective on anything are attempting to "manage" younger (or people who are just not so entirely ingrained in this sick culture) folks who are much smarter, and/ or in touch with the realities of life in the 21st century. The inevitable result to this is that no one under the age of 40 stays long.

Advice to Management

Stop using seniority as your sole criteria for advancement; you are inbreeding. Your flagrant disregard for the lives and human rights of your casual staff is disgraceful. It is not OK to use an employment law intended to facilitate folks such as carpenters or plumbers teaching at night as "casual staff", to drag out not paying qualified instructors appropriately and fairly for as long as humanly possible. Find other ways to cut costs; in the short run you may think you are creating "sustainability" but you are not. At some point you must realize that teachers are required to keep a college running. You are very much driving talent away with your cavalier, exclusionary, old girls club attitude.

6. A College going through a difficult time with struggling leadership

Former Employee - Instructor in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I worked at Lethbridge College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location: Southern Alberta is one of the best places in Canada to live and work.
    The College has some great instructors who really care about their classes, students and subjects.

Cons

The college is struggling with its vision and budget. Its operating model is on cost-containment rather than educational innovation or visionary leadership. The result is antiquated technology and a preoccupation on student retention leading the college to view its role as providing education to those students who don't have the ability to be successful at the local university.

Advice to Management

Although they spout a vision of being technologically advanced and training for the future, they don't walk the talk. Holding ancillary services (recruitment, student support, etc.) accountable for their performance and holding managers accountable for how they treat their staff would be constructive

7. Good place to work

I have been working at Lethbridge College

Pros

fair salary, good benefits, great people

Cons

PD options could be better

8. don't bother with casual employment

I worked at Lethbridge College

Pros

People who are independently wealthy and/ or have a wealthy spouse to support them while they are working for free for years on end, in order to secure a permanent position will enjoy hanging out at the college.

Cons

No benefits, retirement or job security for anyone other than tenured employees which the college is striving to eliminate.

Advice to Management

Employer of choice??? Best review the manual on how to retain employees...