Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

Louis J. DeGennaro

Pros
  • Most positions offer flexibility and consider work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Knowing that you are truly making a difference in the community, a great cause, and a great way to meet great people (fundraising participants) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance for some campaigns, leadership feels threatened by high performers (in 8 reviews)

• You work long hours one day, but you get to go home early the next, etc (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Local chapter was great, National management could care less about employees.

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Felt great knowing you're helping to find a cure for blood cancers.
    Met a variety of wonderful people
    Great co-workers
    Ability to work across campaigns
    Felt valued by local Director
    One Team, One Goal

Cons

Hours can be very long, no overtime pay
    Expected to complete an impossible workload at times
    Managing (some) volunteers with very difficult personalities
    Always going back to the same "well" for volunteers, burning them out
    Did not feel valued by Regional or National Management

Remember who is in the trenches every day, working directly with local volunteers, patients, and donors. All employees should be valued and shouldn't be worked to death. Instead of cutting the jobs in the chapters, which forces the remainder of the employees to have even MORE responsibilities, take a pay cut yourselves. There's no reason the CEO of a NON-PROFIT should be taking home $500,000+ a year.

Sorority, Cliques, and Curing Cancer

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

LLS does a fantastic job of integrating the mission into daily work life, and the rewards received from making connections with patients and families is priceless. LLS is truly on the brink of curing blood cancers.

Cons

ZERO work/life balance! Employees of LLS are usually fresh out of college and willing to work around the clock for very little money. This is not the place to work for someone with a family. Attending numerous events on evenings and weekends is often a huge waste of time, and are almost always overstaffed.

Temporary work is never really that great

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good people, good mission, good environment

Cons

I did temporary work which is generally reserved for boring, uninspired tasks that the salaried folks don't want to do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fun place to work

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Pros

friendly people, really fun place to work in

Cons

none. the management is okay

Expect to be worked to the bone for nothing.

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission. The people we serve. I had a few compassionate coworkers.

Cons

Everything else. After over a decade in the working world, I have never had a worse working experience There were three different people in my position in a year. Last one lasted six months. I realized within a week that three people working full-time round the clock could not do this job.

Even if I had been given a realistic workload, LLS's current/previous leadership had destroyed almost every vital relationship in the territories I was assigned through awful mismanagement, thoughtlessness and years of neglect..

It made my job nearly impossible; added to the fact I had no preparation time or support: I barely made it through those three months with my sanity intact.

The last day there was one of the greatest days of my life.

Advice to the board: get new management.

This is a great organization being brought down by poor leadership.

LLS mission to develop software They are not trying to cure blood cancers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Thought it sounded like a great opportunity.

Cons

So confused what's going on here. There are hundreds of IT developers. Why do they need so many IT people? Questioned what's going on and got out. Warned to keep my head down.

Get back to the Mission. Money goes to patients, research not developing software programs to sell
    This was the reason I came here. What's happening is the reason I got out. Very questionable activity led by the CFO

Inspiring organization. Very poor management and communication. Staff and volunteers are beyond stressed.

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High level vision and inspiring mission (when it's visible), most salaries, and the direct service to many patients are very positive. Working with volunteers makes a lot of other challenges bearable.

Cons

Still in indescribable transition (it's been three+ years), the effects are a terrible and continuing lack of communication, no training, dotted lines that are really just fog, and no consistent leadership plan. With another RIF in July. How do you hire 50 new positions and staff in one year, and have to lay off another 50 12 months later? The organization is in turmoil, some individual little parts working OK, but none of them to reasonable expectation due to near total lack of coordination between programs, fundraising, marketing, training, information. HR is nearly useless, responses taking ages. But that's not actually unique to HR either. The status quo now is inaction, lack of accountability, and lack of just simple understanding. Everybody holding on to what they think they can do but, out in the fields anyway, the feeling is bad.

Communicate. Much more. And just pull the trigger, set up systems that just finally make it a regional set up. I mean, how do you raise funds as a national organization but still have accounting systems that leave nearly everything to the discretion of an ED, who all have different expectations. The load on EDs is just too much. We still have all the responsibilities we had, and really more, but have less authority and fewer tools to meet them.
    Train your staff train your staff train your staff.

Every chapter is different - my experience with the Northern & Central Florida chapter left a lot to be desired.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work for the organization is that you will are an instrumental part of the cure for cancer.

Cons

I can only speak for the Northern & Central Florida chapter. There was no clear management or training for any of its employees. The executive director had her own agenda and rarely did the job description meet the daily expectations. My advice to anybody who works for the organization is to make sure you get everything in writing and make sure you communicate often with the national offices to ensure that the job you were hired to do is actually the job you are doing.

Get rid of current management and start over.

Great place to gain experience

Former Employee - Campaign Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Campaign Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked temporarily at the GA chapter for a year, and was impressed at the way people worked together in the office. Great communication between departments.

Cons

Not much room for upward movement.

Consider hiring from within before bringing in outside hires with zero experience.

Chaotic

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked there because I cared about the patients and used to like the team I worked with.

Cons

Top management is corrupt and inept. The former CEO had no integrity and he surrounded himself with people like him. They have created a mess with the regional structure , it is not working. Lou DeGennaro pushed for the advocacy agenda of Access and Cures and destroyed the Patient Services department one person at a time. If he is made CEO, the org. will not survive. He is part of the problem along with the advocacy people he has hired. Truly sad to see. Dwayne Howell is surely missed.

Leave. You obviously are not management material. You had your chance . Learn to reward people that are hard workers, that have dedication not the ones you favor and protect.

Worked for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society? Contribute to the Community!