Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Louis J. DeGennaro

Pros
  • Most positions offer flexibility and consider work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Knowing that you are truly making a difference in the community, a great cause, and a great way to meet great people (fundraising participants)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance for some campaigns, leadership feels threatened by high performers(in 8 reviews)

• You work long hours one day, but you get to go home early the next, etc(in 7 reviews)

Great place to gain experience

Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWorked temporarily at the GA chapter for a year, and was impressed at the way people worked together in the office. Great communication between departments.

ConsNot much room for upward movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring from within before bringing in outside hires with zero experience.

Phenomenal Cause

ProsEmployee's are challenged with meaningful work and have the opportunity to collaborate cross-functionally. Incredibly dedicated team. Most positions offer flexibility and consider work-life balance. Competitive and comprehensive total compensation package. Recognition encouraged, provided and shared from within and outside of respective business areas.

ConsComing from for-profit, the difference in available resources and support is apparent. Individuals who are self-driven, agile and not risk averse can thrive. Individuals preferring a steady pace may not be best suited.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on and promote initiatives and programs for the health and betterment of the organization.

Great Mission, incredible people involved,.......... thats it

Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsThe overall mission of the organization and everything that has been accomplishment since day one has been incredible. The people involved with the organization are compassionate and devoted to do more to achieve the goal of the mission.

ConsHigh stress, low pay position. Upper management is way too overly unrealistic in numbers during fiscal year. I agree with other reviewers that there is a LOT of favoritism with many staff members and many double standards. Highly inappropriate and unethical actions on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of management and keep those individuals that actually want to be there. Give them a chance to grow and not get rid of them because they aren't working to executive director standards.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work for a great mission!

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat organization mission to work for. Working at LLS is very rewarding. You will certainly get a diverse employment experience. Everyone is committed to the organization's mission both internally and externally.

ConsYou get a diverse work experience, because each job requires a lot from the employee. The turn-over rate is very high as a majority of the staff don't stay for very long. Management is also challenging to work with in most instances. Employees feedback re improvements often go unheard. And very limited opportunity for growth and staff development.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to ensure the success of the organization, important to better appreciate current staff and work to improve staff development to better prepare staff for the positions they are in and for future career advancements within the organization. Recognize and appreciate good talent, before they leave!
    Be more transparent re vision and organizational functions.

No longer a good organization. Mangement changes over the last ten years have hurt this organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost staff are very passionate about the cause. Excellent benefit package for full time employees

ConsQuestionable HR practices. Over the years the company has eliminated full time positions and replaced it with temporary workers through temp agencies to avoid headcount and paying benefits. In our chapter the receptionist was laid off in 2008. Then a receptionist was hired via temp agency and the receptionist is still a temp position six years later. This person has no benefits or vacation yet the job is the same as the person who did it in 2007 and was considered "staff" and paid vacation and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees in the chapter and bring them on as staff instead of hiding behind a temp agency.

Underpaid and overworked

Campaign Manager (Former Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsNice to do good and help provide funding for cancer research.

ConsLittle to no training, employees are generally very green in order to pay extremely low salaries, creating an environment of young kids with no mentors. Long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees a livable wage - it will help reduce turnover and allow them to do their jobs instead of working second jobs. Allow employees to go to outside training and networking events - the cost of the training will pay off.

Lemons to lemonade

Campaign (Former Employee)

ProsI am one of the laid off employees - KUDOS to the HR department. I had an urgent question and left a message for the VP late Thursday night hoping she would get to me the next day. SHOCKED - she called me about five minutes after I left the message - at 9:30 pm. The organization has made sure I have everything I need to transition. thank you. I will still support LLS.

ConsBudget cuts affected many positions. I can apply for open roles, but already have an offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a good look at the regions and make changes at the top. There is a do as I say attitude.

Efforts and contributions are appreciated in a respectful, collegial atmosphere.

Shared Services (Current Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsProfessional yet friendly atmosphere; opportunities to grow with support from management;
    encouraged to provide feedback to the highest levels on ways to improve our mission or business operations; very meaningful purpose in additional to career growth.

ConsNone to speak of - you make your own destiny here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue efforts to encourage employees to participate with new ideas and try to keep things simple and the communications flowing on progress.

Waiting to see what comes next...

ProsGreat mission with amazing volunteers and donors. Everyone wants a cure for cancer so a no-brainer as far as supporting a meaningful charity.

ConsLots of changes recently and a little uneasiness with the future. Looking forward to what comes next after the changes.

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance, hard working employee appreciation and rewarding those who are deserving.

Good cause, awful management

ProsThe mission is present in everything you do and it gives you a reason to work and put in all the extra hours.

ConsThe lower level employees in the chapters are under appreciated and upper level management takes advantage of the hard work that is done by the "little people." There seems to be no care for keeping employees and I have personally witnessed long term, dedicated employees being let go because of others abusing their power and trying to climb the ladder. This leaves the work environment very hostile and unenjoyable. Very much an every man for himself attitude which should not occur at a nonprofit.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the work that the chapters are doing and reward it. Leave the bubble of the National Office. Take the opinion of the chapters into consideration before making major changes or layoffs because they are the ones being affected and the ones making the money for the organization. An organization has nothing without the support of it's employees

Worked for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society? Contribute to the Community!