Level 3 Communications

Level 3 Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Level 3 Communications President & CEO Jeff Storey

Jeff Storey

Pros
  • workout facility), but from a distance it appeared work/life balance was important(in 26 reviews)

• The company has good benefits and people are compensated well(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance exists in many Level 3 departments(in 26 reviews)

• People who advances are only people who are close to the senior management(in 23 reviews)

Good experience but underpaid for the Ops Tech Associate jobs.

Ops Tech Associate (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsGood people to work around.

ConsThe pay scale and the raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the Ops people are taken care of as your bringing them in to be the future of the company.

Great company that continues to grow through acquisitions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits are probably the best in the industry. Jim Crowe seemed to really care about his employees especially those with a great deal of tenure.

ConsOngoing challenges with combining networks of numerous companies they have purchased over the past several years. They typically buy companies that complement their network needs but do not actually "complete" the process before moving forward with the next acquisition. That being said, every day is a major challenge because networks and billing platforms are still in the process of being combined.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably shouldn't expect the same type of sales in tier 3 cities as you do in tier 1 cities. Quotas should be assigned / determined by the size of the city, number of companies...etc. In other words an NFL city (New York, Chicago, Phoenix, Miami) that obviously have a much larger population would carry the highest quotas vs cities that can't support any type of professional sports team.

Government Markets - wired for success.

ProsCulture of mutual support. High performance culture. Great people to work with both locally and at Corporate HQ. We are only carrier making meaningful investment in physical infrastructure (wireline v. wireless).

ConsDifficult to get staffing approved for surge requirements or to meet growth. Therefore staff levels consistently lag requirements. We expect a lot from people - which is good - but you have to manage your own work/life balance - culture is not counter to it, rather it is basically ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a career path process that encourages people to grow (even if through lateral moves). We aren't in start-up mode any more - so start building in some less senior job categories to allow entry level (and people will grow into higher levels of responsibility). Require each department to hire interns over the summer - fresh perspectives will help - and getting some one-off projects done will increase productivity and efficiency.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, but can be frustrating with size and acquisitions.

Senior Planner (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsThere is challenging work every day.

ConsMany companies acquired and therefore networks to integrate in a capital constrained environment.

Not an easy environment to get things done.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with, great desire to accomplish improvements and build a better company. The company has good benefits and people are compensated well.

ConsProcesses and divergent goals between departments make it really hard to streamline and become more efficient. Services take too long to install.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way for operations and sales to work together smoothly toward the same goals. Project Management needs to be empowered to get services installed more timely.

Leadership has a short attention span...

Process Architect (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsGood benefits, beautiful campus, pockets of good leaders. There are opportunities for advancement but if you come in entry level, don't expect more than minimal salary growth.

ConsThey would rather pay someone off the street a higher salary than promote internally and give the fair salary to an alumni. Also, you're often chasing the carrot. Just do the job for a year and then they will promote you (maybe) and give you a 3% pay increase (doubtful). With ever changing priorities from leadership, it can be hard to follow through and show your value.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people, they are your best asset

Great opportunity and growth with strong talent.

ProsLevel 3 provides Job flexibility and the great opportunity for Enterprise growth.

ConsThe work life is unbalance and time off/holiday's are not respected by management.

Overall it was a good company to work for.

ProsPay is good, benefits were good, liked my job.

Conshigh stress environment, lots of overtime....but salary.

Advice to Senior Managementlighten up, promote work / life balance

Company that lacks innovation

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to advance and succeed at this company. Leadership seems to give a lot of room to let employees be self sufficient. Hours are flexible and vacation time given is second to none.

ConsPay is lacking. If you start out at a low paying position, HR has salary advance limits which can keep you from earning what you truly deserve. If you advance your education while at Level 3 it is not recognized unless you change jobs. Even with the change in jobs there is a salary limit that will be hit.

Company severely lacks innovation in its operations sector. It has been limping by for years and continually tries to revamp outdated system and processes that cannot be fixed. Consistent attempts to fix problems that are not revenue generating are shot down if they cost any money.

Culture at Level 3 is severely lacking. Everyone has a very cynical attitude. There are very few people that work together for the good of the company. If they do work together it seems its only because they were told to. I see very little pride that people take in most of the work that is done. People accept and put in 25% effort into things that need 110%. Problem lies in upper management that continue to let things slide and then question why processes are not functioning properly.

This is not a company of highly educated individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring more college graduates and pay them more than a cashier does at Quick trip. Move younger, ambitious people into upper management to get rid of the older guys that consistently stifle innovation and try to keep things the same as they always have been.

"Tech Academy"

Ops Technician (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsCan find some good people to work with and its an ever-changing business

ConsThe Tech academy is a joke. They send you through 9 weeks of training, but dont tell you that youll recieve that same training pay for an entire year AFTER the training is completed. I am single with no children and thought a full time job here was going to be perfect, turns out, I made more waitressing than I do now. The "talent management," seeks out veterans and new college grads because they know these people will come in and work for less than 30k/year, and believe me, its MUCH less than 30k after taxes.

Yes, you can try talking to your manager and the higher-ups about your problems, but they dont care, they have a new training class coming in every 6 weeks... they make sure you know you are replaceable.

Also, most people at this company do not take responsibility for anything, it seems like everyone is afraid to lose their jobs so they blame other departments, who blame others and so on and instead of getting work done, everyone would rather have a meeting about getting work done rather than do work, and then they wonder why they are workong 55+ hours/week.

Advice to Senior Managementlook into how the tech Academy is being run and sincerely decide if these are really the people you want to be hiring... just because they will work for pennies doesnt mean they know what they are doing and they do not get the correct training in the first place.

Worked for Level 3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!