Level 3 Communications

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Level 3 Communications President & CEO Jeff Storey
Jeff Storey

Pros
  • workout facility), but from a distance it appeared work/life balance was important (in 29 reviews)

• The company has good benefits and people are compensated well (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance exists in many Level 3 departments (in 30 reviews)

• People who advances are only people who are close to the senior management (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Global Telecom without all the headaches associated with Fortune 30 US Big Telcos, dynamic, growing, talented people

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture, nimble, dramatic growth, powerful tools - surround yourself with great people , join Level 3

Cons

Consecutive quarter over quarter growth has been difficult on the factory, a great problem to have - service is valued, and in high demand, build it and customers will beat down the doors to do business with you

Ample opportunities to move around & up...if you're in with the right people

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career expansion, if not advancement. Been here 7 years, have held 6 titles, two of them promotions, 4 of them lateral moves. Good benefits, decent flexibility, ample paid time off.

Cons

Too many reorgs, never really see projects through to completion, 30+ meetings a week (no that's not an exaggeration)- everything is done via meetings.

I have 30+ meetings a week and only one is in person. Consider offering employees perks like 50/50 telecommuting. Makes no difference if we're in the office if we're all just holed up in our desks on conference calls. Also stop prioritizing way too many projects into way too tight timelines.

Finance Analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I considered it a pretty good company to work for, the benefits were pretty decent and depending who who and what department you worked for, you could work from home when necessary. They schedule was pretty flexible. Company stayed on top of technology.

Cons

not much of a work life balance if you work in a remote office. The corporate employees always seem to go home on time but anyone who work remote, worked longer hours or were more dedicated to their jobs.

It was a good company until their layoffs. But I would assume that is with any company.

Level 3

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time

Pros

Interesting projects to work on

Cons

No job security at level 3

Excellent growing company

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just completed acquisition of TW Telecom.

Cons

May be too large for some people to work in.

Good opportunity to learn, learning is not always a good experience

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time

Pros

There is opportunity for advancement both technically and in management. Perseverance is a must, willing to work the hours. Some great leadership in the organization, mostly at the lower levels and some of the C-level folks.

Cons

The mid executive level (Sr Director, VP, SVP), seem to trend towards yes people and less towards what is best for the company and have true transparency. Learning from what not to do, and not always what to do.

Trust your employees and expect some tough discussions. Conduct some skip levels to see what the employees in the mix are dealing with.

I have been working at Level 3 Communications

Pros

I love the fact that if you want to get experience with different aspects of telecom tech work the opportunities are there, from infrastructure and power to system installs, to testing (all types of circuits from electrical to optical), to field installs, and even touching on some provisioning and OSP work.

Cons

The company culture is such that field operations is treated like a lower class group within the company. More and more is being demanded from the field with less resources. Also, too much focus on meeting metrics at the expense of truly focusing in pleasing customers (whether with new installs/services or trouble issues with existing). It also seems that when something goes the blame is most often directed towards the field, yet not enough recognition or rewards for all that the field does to make the company what it is.

Not all things are as they claim to be.

I have been working at Level 3 Communications

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to make a difference in the industry.

Cons

Too many fiefdoms and silo driven.

Improve culture and communication across the board.

There are opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wide swath of services and their reach is pretty strong.

Cons

Prior to Global Crossing acquisition, very aggressive and forward thinking company with a never say die attitude. Much of that changed when the Global Crossing Management trickled in and the company has now shrunk by a large amount.

Fight for your teams and they will fight for you.

Good company, great people hard work

Current Employee - Servce Manager Operations in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Servce Manager Operations in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the sharpest minds in the industry. Great benefits, attentive leadership especially in the Sales Organization. People here want you to succeed. The work life balance is fantastic, I never feel like I have to sacrifice my family time for work.

Cons

After years and years of mergers there are still tons of bureaucratic red tape to cut through. Sometimes things move slower than one would want, especially when it comes to headcount replacement. Salaries could use a bit of a bump across the board.

Level 3 Communications Photos