Level 3 Communications Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.9

Level 3 Communications President & CEO Jeff Storey
Jeff Storey

Pros
  • workout facility), but from a distance it appeared work/life balance was important (in 26 reviews)

• The company has good benefits and people are compensated well (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance exists in many Level 3 departments (in 26 reviews)

• People who advances are only people who are close to the senior management (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Going down hill...fast!

Current Employee - Planner  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Planner in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large company, great benefits (not as great this year), they are usually on the forefront of emerging technologies.

Cons

Hard to get promotions in the same position. You would do better to leave the company then come back. The culture has really changed in the last 2 years and they seem more focused on profits and less on people. Working from home isn't an option anymore. The work-life balance is not so great these days, they want more work out of less people so you can expect long hours. They don't pay well compared to similar jobs

Value your experienced employees. Stop trying to get so much cheap ( young/inexperienced) employees. Remember a lot of us were here from the beginning and have struggled to help build this company. There's a reason why you can't get senior level positions filled...not many will recommend working for Level 3 anymore. VALUE YOUR PEOPLE!!

Great place to work, as long as your manager isn't riding on a high horse and looking down at everyone.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers
    Nice work environment
    Great starting wage

Cons

Management are out for themselves, not the team. Quick to throw employees under the bus if any heat is on them. Most management wants things done their way or no way, even though they tell you to take responsibility and be innovative.

Take some responsibility themselves, show some compassion, and remember you put your pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. Maybe HR could be there for the employees like they're suppose to, but then again why would they want to risk their job for someone else.

Good-

I have been working at Level 3 Communications

Pros

Great work environment and campus

Cons

None so far, only have been here 3 months

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love it

Current Employee - Customer Care Manager  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Care Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

very good company to work for. Very god managment

Cons

not really any cons. Very friendly people

Okay company that seems to be improving

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people I've met at Level 3 are what have kept me working here so long. The largest benefit is the flexibility with work schedule and the willingness to let you work from home.

Cons

The open seating is terrible and makes working difficult when there's tons of distractions around you. The company changes direction frequently. By the time I've learned what I'm doing on a team and can contribute management changes things around I switch teams. It makes it feel like every three to four months you're starting a new job and ineffective.

As far as in-house software development is concerned choose a direction and stick with it for more than a few months.

Became an employee as a result of an M&A.

Former Employee - Billing Analyst  in  Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Southfield, MI

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pretty much guaranteed an annual bonus as the company seems to somehow look good on paper.

Cons

Chaos in the trenches during the end of month/quarter push.

Even though the 'acquired' companies are considered equal, the company sponsored events to motivate the employees are definitely not equal.

Great company that continues to grow through acquisitions.

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are probably the best in the industry. Jim Crowe seemed to really care about his employees especially those with a great deal of tenure.

Cons

Ongoing challenges with combining networks of numerous companies they have purchased over the past several years. They typically buy companies that complement their network needs but do not actually "complete" the process before moving forward with the next acquisition. That being said, every day is a major challenge because networks and billing platforms are still in the process of being combined.

Probably shouldn't expect the same type of sales in tier 3 cities as you do in tier 1 cities. Quotas should be assigned / determined by the size of the city, number of companies...etc. In other words an NFL city (New York, Chicago, Phoenix, Miami) that obviously have a much larger population would carry the highest quotas vs cities that can't support any type of professional sports team.

Neutral

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Virtually no work and life balance.

Good experience but underpaid for the Ops Tech Associate jobs.

Current Employee - Ops Tech Associate  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Ops Tech Associate in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people to work around.

Cons

The pay scale and the raises.

Make sure the Ops people are taken care of as your bringing them in to be the future of the company.

Government Markets - wired for success.

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture of mutual support. High performance culture. Great people to work with both locally and at Corporate HQ. We are only carrier making meaningful investment in physical infrastructure (wireline v. wireless).

Cons

Difficult to get staffing approved for surge requirements or to meet growth. Therefore staff levels consistently lag requirements. We expect a lot from people - which is good - but you have to manage your own work/life balance - culture is not counter to it, rather it is basically ignored.

Create a career path process that encourages people to grow (even if through lateral moves). We aren't in start-up mode any more - so start building in some less senior job categories to allow entry level (and people will grow into higher levels of responsibility). Require each department to hire interns over the summer - fresh perspectives will help - and getting some one-off projects done will increase productivity and efficiency.

Worked for Level 3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!