Level 3 Communications

Updated September 12, 2014
2.9

Level 3 Communications President & CEO Jeff Storey
Jeff Storey

Pros
  • workout facility), but from a distance it appeared work/life balance was important (in 26 reviews)

• The company has good benefits and people are compensated well (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance exists in many Level 3 departments (in 26 reviews)

• People who advances are only people who are close to the senior management (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked 3 years full-time in NOC

Former Employee - Network Engineer  in  Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work experience, multi-vendor equipment to develop technical skills, great work location

Cons

Poor leadership from top to bottom, short-term focus, hiring people with little to know technical experience at half the cost is not the solution. Little to no raises. Too much employee turnover!

No substitute for experience, empower employees, provide career paths, hold upper management accountable, bring new blood into upper management.

Dissapointing

Former Employee - Customer Care Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

PTO was nice being a new employee - 4 weeks. Average salary. The global network was a plus for the company which is why i wanted to join the team.

Cons

Too many mergers and no database and systems consolidation for each one. Way too many systems to work in for back office and way to confusing. There was little to no training on products, systems and processes. Direct manager was MIA almost all the time and always in escalation calls. Every order seemed escalated. Workload was way too much for one person to handle to be effective and pro-active. Many more to list.

Merge your systems and processes on the back end. Train your new employees and ease them into the accounts to manage. let the direct managers help train new employees and be more hands on with their employee being a success and not a failed statistic. Correct the work life balance, it does not exist from all the depts i spoke to.

Challenging environment.

Current Employee - OSP ENGINEER  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - OSP ENGINEER in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you are a self starter and are good at learning on your own Level 3 is a place for you.

Cons

Lot's of processes that continually change. Not employee friendly. Very little training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management hasn't a clue

I worked at Level 3 Communications

Pros

Good people, decent salary and benefits.

Cons

Rif's every 6 months. Very political company. Sr. leaders pathetic, all about their own turf.

Seriously listen to customers. Quit preaching customer experience but then do everything in your power to make it a painful experience.

Great place to work

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

direct manager are great to work with and the company is going in the right direction.

Cons

pay is sub par retention is non existant

pay your people or they will keep jumping ship.

Good company with profitability issues.

Former Employee - GIS Analyst II  in  Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst II in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice colleagues, good work environment. A leading edge fiber provider. Decent compensation and benefits.

Cons

Profitability. Some departments are overworked and understaffed. Integration issues with several acquired companies.

Hire, layoff, hire, layoff. The senior management needs to be held more accountable.

Pretty good, but may depend on your department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlike my previous job, working at Level 3 affords me the work / life balance I need for my own sanity. This may depend on what area of the company you work in. I am in Finance and the CFO himself promotes work life balance in every all hands and his set of goals and it seems to flow down. The number of times I have had to work from home on weeknights or work on the weekends can be counted on one hand. And those times were more when I was trying to complete something more than my management expecting this kind of schedule In general, it isn't expected to be online or reading emails after hours or on the weekends I would say.

I work with business / finance people as well as technical engineering people and most all of the folks I work with are helpful , engaged with what they are doing and intelligent. My own team is extremely cohesive and helpful toward one another. There are always new and interesting projects to work on and new products being rolled out it seems. My role is very focused and I appreciate that.

The gym on campus is very nice and no one minds if you go in the middle of the day if that is when you have a break in meetings or work. It's not uncommon to see people walking / jogging outside throughout the work day.

Cons

The benefits, especially the healthcare packages are extremely complex and difficult to understand and compare. The company has to have 2 hour information sessions to explain just that and answer questions.

The culture in general is fine, but seems a little stingy about some things. For example, other companies I have worked for there was always a nice company wide holiday party for everyone and periodic lunches provided for certain meetings or occasions. This doesn't happen at Level 3.

Make the health insurance packages / benefits simpler if possible. Be more open to working from home on a regular basis for those employees who have proven trustworthy and can work independently. There seems to be a fear or reluctance to allow much work from home. It doesn't cost anything and would help some employees feel more balanced and probably help with retnetion.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was decent, nice people, easy to get time off, worked from home. Learned many new systems which was challenging but this kept things interesting too.

Cons

Company decided to no longer keeping operations employees in Austin, to keep my job required I move which I was not willing to do.

Good experience, too many layoffs

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit, smart co-workers, growth opportunities

Cons

Constant layoffs and reorganizations drive morale down. Can be very bureaucratic with politics difficult to navigate.

Short-sighted, reactionary high level sales management that does not value talent.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

A well-engineered network.
    Many talented employees who work hard. A lot of congeniality among co-workers (i.e. we're all in this together).
    Nice office facilities.

Cons

Short term mentality of senior management. Month-to-month sales cycle measurements make every month-end a ridiculous game and do not account for overall long term performance of an individual or team. You can exceed quota 11 months out of 12 (and be well over for the year) and still be in the dog house for the one month you miss.

Respect employees. Find meaningful measurements of success that are not demoralizing.

Worked for Level 3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!