Level 3 Communications

Level 3 Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Level 3 Communications President & CEO Jeff Storey

Jeff Storey

Pros
  • workout facility), but from a distance it appeared work/life balance was important (in 26 reviews)

• The company has good benefits and people are compensated well (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance exists in many Level 3 departments (in 26 reviews)

• People who advances are only people who are close to the senior management (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Now I know why Level 3 has been rated one of the worst companies to work for.

ProsNew Leadership is taking the company in the right direction.

ConsA lot of turnover from layoffs and people leaving because they are just fed-up.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees like valuable assets.

Stop in for a little while but don't make plans to stay more than a year or two.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsStrong assets in some markets. Great global footprint. Salaries are little higher than standard fare. They sugar coat nothing, ever. So there's never any real question where you stand. They are really good for that tiny little slice of business segment they go after. Better than average benefits. It's known as a tough place to succeed so it will carry some weight on your resume once you leave, get laid off or fired. A little bit of data.com access is available if you bark long and loud enough to get one of the licenses...not a legit "pro" but it can be useful. Great engineering team.

ConsThey seem determined to block sales. They seriously make it as difficult as possible to sell. Name recognition? There isn't any. It's ridiculous to have educate every prospect in your market about who this gigantic company is. They seem content to either spend nothing on marketing or waste what they do allot on ineffective spends. The VP and GM in my region are weaker than what is present in other regions. The VP specializes in demotivating, written diatribes. The GM seems clueless and uses all of the best strategies from 1991 complete with yelling and foot stamping. They've lost some quality senior leaders over the last 6 months. There is no investment in training. Come in knowing every thing you need to know to be successful because you aren't likely to get much help or support. Their internal websites are loaded with broken links and they're quoting system is unstable. They appear to hire and fire with little planning and the sales directors are stretched very thin. Good luck getting any increased capacity in many of their markets - that maybe due to the weak middle management players in my area. The slice of prospects very small as is, so it is unfortunate to not be able to provide service to them once you engage in serious discussions. And about carrying to Super Bowl for X amount of years? Please stop. No one on the planet cares. If you have a shot to go work for some other player that looks better on the Magic Quadrant (and there are plenty), go ahead and skip taking a train to nowhere that is Level 3. But if you've got no better option, you're fine to sop in for a cup of coffee. Just keep your head on a swivel.

Advice to Senior ManagementUm.... Good luck with that whole profitability thing. Just keep cutting back on essential personnel and you'll get there soon enough.

Okay so Far for a Field Tech II

Field Tech (Current Employee) Taft Southwest, TX

ProsI have been here a little more than a year and I can assume that the pay is above average, the benefits are above average, which is good considering the other option in todays market. The work is challenging and there is plenty to learn.

ConsThe training stinks! They have what they call Level3 University which is just a bunch of crappy online videos that you take a test after watching. It is difficult to learn all the systems they use, which is compounded by the fact that they cannot migrate the system together.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the trainer!!! Have a more difinitive new hire training program.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, depending on the department

Project Manager (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsPay is solid, people work very hard, the campus is beautiful, and there are good advancement opportunities for go-getters. I've been on teams with some fantastic managers.

ConsSome processes don't make sense and they take too long to fix. People can be unhappy in certain departments because of all the red tape that stops productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease simplify processes, work hard against politics, and enforce everybody to work towards the same goals.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not good

Customer Support (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsIt was a decent pay rate.

ConsI think the budget cut sent many out the door.

Account Director - Wholesale Sales

Account Director II (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI found the company culture very positive and supportive. I really enjoyed working there

ConsI found the products were not as competitive and it made for a hard sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on becoming more competitive in the arena you are working.

My experience at Level 3 has been very rewarding with learning, salary and friendships.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is plenty of opportunity at Level 3 for advancement and enhancement of individual achievements. It is important to establish boundary lines to ensure you do not willing sacrifice time with family.

ConsSome decisions seem to be made hastily or at a high level corporate view which can make day to day life extra difficult. This company is very good at allowing employees to take all the sacrifices for the corporate good. They do not make any promises but will give you suggestions of a better future.

Advice to Senior ManagementGlean information from your subordinates to ensure quality is not lost and moral is allowed to have a positive growth.

Still the Same

Project Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLocation, Campus, Cafe, Benefits, very hard working staff/

ConsSilos, posturing, reduction in female executives, layoffs are common. Narcissism is common.

Worst Company I have Ever Worked For!!

Finance (Former Employee)

ProsHealth Benefits - I can't think of anything else.

ConsExecutive Leadership Does Not Care - No Work Life Balance. The Culture is depressing.
    If you don't live North of the city, don't plan to commute here as the location is frustrating. Move your HQ downtown to attract better talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Out.. New Blood Is Needed.

Loved the team, struggled with leadership decisions and patchwork back office process and applications.

Operations Engineer (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsGreat benefits and good salaries

ConsDirect leadership did not understand the technology or appreciate the teams contribution nor were the true team deficiencies realized. Metics were accurate but the true causes were never truly understood and therefore not addressed properly. Data and systems normalization was never achieved after any acquisition making service deliver and support far to complicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind small team leadership that understands how to identify team deficiencies that directly correspond to the metric short falls and use the team participation to uncover the appropriate corrective measures that will deliver the desired results. Invest the time and cash required to normalize your multiple competing data sets and redundant back office applications. Understand what a CMDB is and how to effectively us it to resolve theses back office issues and create unified applications.

Worked for Level 3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!