LevelUp Reviews

Updated July 27, 2014
Updated July 27, 2014
3.9

CEO

Very exciting product, great people, office culture, and benefits. Good place to work & getting better, but not perfect.

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at LevelUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can expect a great work-life balance, fun office outings/events, great perks (full espresso machine, blender, snacks, fresh fruits, catered lunches, all the food/drink you could want), and strong benefits surrounded by young, ambitious, interesting group of people/friends. If you don't like having a high-touch management experience and like the independence of knowing what your goals are and being given the freedom to do what it takes to make it happen, you'll love it at LevelUp. Pretty fast-paced, ever changing product/pricing/marketing, etc which keeps things exciting. HR manager is amazing & is a great resource to help you get your feet under you. Good-sized company. You'll do very well if you're ambitious, not afraid to ask questions, and live by a personal credo "Ask for forgiveness, not for permission." Change/responsibility tends to be given when it is directly asked for, not proactively given. **some of this is more advise. There's a tremendous alumni community as LevelUp tends to hire smart, driven, and (athletic) people. Expect opportunities to do 200 mile relay races, run in zombie races, rock climb, learn how to build 3D printers, share good music, etc.
    It's also a pretty LGBTQ-friendly office.
    - Generally it's an exciting time to be at LevelUp as the leader in the space that could soon explode, and my primary reason for leaving was for a larger change in career path.

Cons

- Currently the product direction is pretty top-down.
    - - > Structural changes or product roadmap additions are slow to happen when suggested bottom-up
    - Sales team is pretty unstructured with hands-off management style. Pro/con depending on your style. I work fairly independently, but would have been nice to have more structure to the team and sales process/organization.
    - Not very transparent around larger decisions being made, firings, financing, etc., but slowly getting better.
    - Could be more active/proactive focus placed on personal/professional growth.

Would be nice if more attention were paid to focusing on personal growth objectives and placing good people in positions that make employees happy and keep good people even if it means making positions and being getting creative. I think part of it is just that senior mgmt is overly busy at times & needs to focus more on managing.

Digging it

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at LevelUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to write code that impacts lots of real-world behavior and business's bottom lines, without a lot of red tape to make that happen. Great testing practices and a very flat hierarchy.

Cons

Not a ton of structure - if you need someone else managing priorities for you or are used to lots of project management, this probably isn't the right place for you.

A great place to work.

I have been working at LevelUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

LevelUp is a great place to work. The company is growing quickly and there are plenty of opportunities to advance within the company in a short period of time.

The payments space in general is a very interesting space to work in, especially since LevelUp is considered a leader in this space. You also get to work with a lot of really cool clients in the restaurant space who are doing some really neat things throughout the country.

The benefits and culture here can't be beat. LevelUp is a young, growing company with a work-hard play-hard culture and the company takes care of their own (free lunch, paid health care, free t passes, etc).

Cons

While LevelUp is a mature startup, there are certainly ups and down that come with the company's growth. LevelUp isn't for anyone, but if you believe in what the company is building and work hard to support the company's success you will enjoy your career here.

Maintain an honest and open communication channel with employees. More stock options too!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't imagine a better place to work. AWESOME environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at LevelUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food all day, health care, everyone is super quirky, friendly and cool, laid back atmosphere. No clue about the post about kool-aid. I've never even seen it in our fridges. I'm super happy to be here. We all hang out all day while doing our work. It's also not too often that you get the option to work in a bean bag!

Cons

Sometimes I wish we would move faster in different areas

Be more open about next moves. I wanna know what were doing next!

Lots of benefits and no work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at LevelUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of good benefits, OK salary, free food and fully paid health care and T-pass.

Cons

Bad stock options; pretty much they throw paltry sums at you worth a farthing. If you are looking for a pre-ipo company that you think you will contribute to and make huge amounts later then stop looking here and go elsewhere. Substandard set of employees. Not the brightest set of people around; lots of them don't have fundamentals but think they are the smartest. Not much work to do as well in some teams ; have no idea why they are even hiring.

Give more stocks and better quality work and hire smarter people.

LevelUp is really headed in the right direction

I have been working at LevelUp

Pros

Offers tons of responsibility to smart, capable people. Company culture gets an A+, as everyone has their own side projects that are super interesting. They're doing a great job at figuring out how to enter new markets and make LevelUp a household name.

Cons

Still very much a startup-- don't get involved if you can't handle rapid change. Employees change roles very frequently, be able to adapt quickly or you'll hate it

Missing half the story - read the SCVNGR Reviews, it is the same company.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at LevelUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, incredible health/dental. Great PTO. Incredible food benefits

Cons

You will be lied to on day 1 and it will not stop until you get so fed up you will leave. Drink the kool-aid when you start and you will have a great time. Refrain from drinking the CEO's kool-aid and you will have a terrible experience.

Give real updates to your employees.

Collaborative Tech Startup & Loyalty App - a workplace that offers something beyond just WORK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at LevelUp as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Working at LevelUp you will be guaranteed broad company exposure and can expect to be welcomed with open arms. From the start I got to experience the incredibly supportive team dynamic-- from nights out with the team, to volunteering and birthday celebrations I learned that you work just as hard as you play. The environment is young, energetic, and entrepreneurial and for me was an enjoyable place to be.

Cons

Not really a con- Keep in mind LevelUp is a startup, so prepare to experience many different roles in a short period of time. If you are not flexible, a startup environment may not be a place for you.

Keep being passionate about what you do. It is an inspiration.

Sounds great, but be careful

I worked at LevelUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, fun, free food. It's really exciting to feel like you're apart of something new and big. It's like you're on the edge of greatness! People seem really understanding and laid back.

Cons

Not realistic sometimes and management seems out of touch. There are a lot of intelligent people that work at LevelUp with different backgrounds, but it doesn't seem like they really understand people with different backgrounds.

Be more understanding, people who work with your company have a life and bills to pay. It's not all just fun and games, especially because you're well off.

Exciting to be apart of a young team with big ambitions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at LevelUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work and I honestly felt management cared about my future. I am left without a doubt they will go on to win the payment war.

Cons

Could be more open to new ideas.

Honest transparency. The employees are smarter than you give them credit for.

LevelUp Photos

Team photo before running the Corporate Challenge
Paintball to celebrate the last day at our old office before tearing it down
Zombie Run

+ Add Photo

Worked for LevelUp? Contribute to the Community!