Levi Strauss

Levi Strauss Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Levi Strauss President & CEO Charles Bergh

Charles Bergh

Pros
  • Work-life balance prioritized with flexible schedules the norm(in 25 reviews)

• Flexible hours and laid back environment(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The new upper management has stripped away the great Levi's culture(in 20 reviews)

• There isn't just a lack of work/life balance, there is NO(in 10 reviews)

Things are looking up for an iconic SF brand.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIconic brand with a great heritage. Talented colleagues, dedicated culture of giving back to the community. Solid work-life balance and generous benefits.

ConsStructure can be overly complex and sometimes teams in different business functions could be better connected.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany could do a better job promoting from within and fostering talent.

I really like their company values. It has given me a postive outlook on big name brands such as levis.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI really like the teamworks and communciation within the store. eVERYONE IS RELALY FRIENDLY and welcoming

ConsSometimes, its kind of slow, Boring and there is nothing to do. BuT USUALLY every tourist is usually nice.

Exciting brand undergoing a huge turnaround

Senior Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIconic brands, exciting products, based in San Francisco. If you are looking to be part of a transformation, this is the place for you.

ConsDue to the transformation of the business and operating model you must interested in being part of a global change process, which can mean ambiguity and uncertainty.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Design Director

Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWonderful company with opportunity to growth. Great compensation package with flexibility in work schedule. Company ethics and helping the community is solid.

ConsDated technology, cumbersome training and lengthy in rolling out new software. The company is not aligned in the value chain. Unfortunately, the company continues to restructure every few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a new plan is implemented, give it a good chance to see if it works. Then follow up to see if it works.

Great Company, Amazing Team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI found Levi's leadership inspiring.

ConsI did not have a negative experience

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Hit or Miss

ProsAs a company, it really does look out for the employees. Great culture and people.

ConsLack of structure for development and retention of employees. What team and department you are a part of is what will drive your success. (I.E. good manager, important team) It is like the wild wild west. Constantly changing structure and organization about every 6-9 months.

Great ideals and value but lack of implementation and leadership.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsCompany allows for a generally "fun" work environment. Flexible schedule. Excitedness for new product from season to season.

ConsIn the time that I have been with Levi Strauss & Co., I have seen a gross amount of self-righteousness among store managers, district managers, and division leaders. Being hired on as a supervisor for a brand new store that was opening, I expected to receive support from other leaders during my training process. However, there was no training process. My store manager had very little training in the Levi's culture before store opening, and myself and the other supervisors had absolutely none. We were essentially thrown to the wolves as our DM was only seen less than 5 times from summer to Christmas. Even now, she is rarely seen or heard from. Yet, with all of this lack of training and leadership presence, we are still expected to produce only the highest of numbers. No matter the controllables or uncontrollables during hours of operation, we are still expected to beat our sales plans and maintain company standards for KPI's - all while processing shipment, replenishing the sales floor, helping customers, managing staff, abiding by visual merchandising standards, and implementing training. Then there is the gargantuan slap in the face with the implementation of "retail productivity" in which the "big-wigs" get to keep their cushy positions and overcompensation for sitting around playing on the computer all day, sending emails, and talking a bunch of nonsense in conference calls that make them feel oh so important and powerful (and accomplishing NOTHING but more grief for the store-level) while the store level employees are asked to give 150% each day for not even $12 an hour. I love to work, I enjoy working hard and earning my paycheck. But to watch my store manager sit on her tail all day everyday while being paid $50,000 a year is very disheartening and gives me no reason to work harder than she is. The same goes for my DM and the division manager. It's ironic that payroll must be reduced on the store level in order to compensate for money wasted on district meetings, FLC, and other ridiculous expenditures on a corporate level, and I'm utterly disgusted that this company seems to think that supervisors and stylists do not recognize these things. I truly, truly loved this company in the beginning despite the lack of leadership and training, but I have watched Levi Strauss & Co. flush all credibility down the drain. And now I'm left with a need to move on and never look back.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen implementing new ideals and focal points into the store level, I would suggest FOLLOWING THROUGH and FOLLOWING UP. Don't skimp on the training and leadership. Levi's makes claims of promoting growth and development yet there is no support from upper management in such. Everyone from store managers and above are all talk and no action.

An Iconic company that has lost it's way, employee culture continues to be sacrificed and eroded for new blood.

District Manager (Former Employee)

ProsA part of the very fabric of american history it's legacy spans over 150 years of inspiration, authentic-real-creative-free. A product that is unmatched in quality, innovation and heritage.

ConsThey market a vision, direction and goal for the future strength of the Levi's brand, along with it the need for everyone to contribute 110% in order to achieve it. You give because you are invested in the success of the company, 110-115-120% everyday. But the investment is not mutual and you find yourself unemployed. Like the majority of the large manufacturers out there today they want you to do the job of 5, sacrifice, innovate, deliver the goals while being an engaged productive employees. But security does not come with your commitment level to the company and Levi's is no different now. Work for them, be proud of the product you represent but also be ready to start all over because you can do everything right and still be out of a job!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the business struggles and the annual goals are missed, revenue is down and costs are up don't look to reduce payroll by laying off the everyday worker giving 110%. All levels of management, but especially senior management is to blame. They provide the plan, direction, vision and decisions that define a successful year. When you hear of layoffs at any company, how often does it include any senior management - maybe 1%. Be accountable for the results because everyone else in the company is.

Sad to see

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHistoric company - had a great family-owned reputation. Still tries to maintain ideals

ConsNo longer employee-centric; massive/constant lay-offs, no true sense of direction; Ivory Tower mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to Company ideals; more transparency; appreciate the 'little people'

Initially good, terrible in the long run with irresponsible supervisors

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Ontario, CA

ProsGood customers, good environment

Consinefficient supervisors, rigorous sales goal

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for Levi Strauss? Contribute to the Community!