Levy Home Entertainment

Coordinator

Coordinator (Current Employee)
Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Levy Home Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice people to work with. It's a small company so you can make a difference and get to know just about everyone. Often promote from within.

ConsSlow to adopt new technology, however the new management is much better about this. Don't believe salries are competitive. Like to do things they way they have always been done, but again, new managment is changing this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to and invite new ideas.

If you love to travel on a dime

District Field Supervisor (Former Employee)
Charleston, SC

I worked at Levy Home Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work is very easy and simple.

ConsUpper management is terrible. Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

I had to carry a region off of my budget because my counterparts could not manage their's.

Pay is too low for anyone to survive on.

Huge territories and they wanted to pull company vehicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all of your DM's and RM's and start over

too labor intensive, causing health issues

Rep (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Levy Home Entertainment

Prosbest reason to work at this company is the flexibility it offers and the ability to work independently within my own scheduoe

Consjob entails too much lifting of boxes up to 50 pounds and not enough management support when asking for help when schedules are tough

Wonderful for the first 10 years, then awful, declining everyday.

Accounting Clerk (Former Employee)
Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Levy Home Entertainment

ProsFlexibilty with hours for home problems and schedules and discounts on books purchased.

ConsWith new technolgy, not enough training for new procedures and patience for the people having trouble. No job security and no interaction with management. Always waiting for the ax to fall and making people very stressed to the point of illness.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a lot nicer to the non-exempt employees. They work very hard with little compensation and acknowledgement. Everyone needs to feel respect.

Management is out of touch with ground ops

Part-time Merchandiser (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at Levy Home Entertainment

ProsNice that it's part-time, you set your own hours

ConsManagement is out of touch with the ground troops. They rarely get in touch with you-your field supervisor might be decent but their management is terrible. You're constantly caught off guard with shipments that you weren't expecting or management will send the wrong thing, the wrong amounts, often far far too many books that you end up having to either pack back up and send back or cram into what amounts to little or no space. All the time management is trying to cut down your hours and constantly wanting reports as to why it took you over an hour to unload everything they sent. If you try to contact them, you never hear back. Field supervisors feel un-listened to.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get on the same page as the people actually unloading the boxes. It feels like decisions are made that have no common-sense basis.

Good people, good management talent, unfortunately follow through and commitment is lacking.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Levy Home Entertainment

ProsFamily atmosphere. The CEO knows everyone by first name. She makes a point of saying hello to and good morning to everyone she sees. There is a good sense of commradere and coworkers are friendly and supportive. There is good communication of overall goals and overall strategy of the organization. There is a huge diverse talent pool at Levy. CEO, Carol Kloster believes on emphasizing and recognizing all successes in the organization.

ConsStrategy and implementation seem to change with whichever way the wind is blowing. Many good programs and inspirational initiatives have been started, however, there seems to be a failure in follow through and commitment from all levels of management. For example, all employees were trained on the 7 habits of becoming an effective manager. However, there was no reinforcement of the ideas or follow ups after the 3 day training seminars. A great deal of time and money spent on training with no visible results.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on initiatives. Challenge management to work with frontline and corporate staff to identify our challenges and our attempts to address them. What are our successes? What are our failures? What have we learned from both?

Levy Merchandiser Position offers flexible schedule

Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Levy Home Entertainment

ProsThe part time merchandiser position offers flexible hours, independent working conditions, and has good long term employment potential. Decent pay when compared with similiar merchadising roles.

ConsThere is not always enough time allotted for store assignments. The need to enter reports, inventories, etc... at home while not being compensated is a problem. Sometimes store management expects more than what falls into the merchandiser role. No review/raise after over a year of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate employees for time spent off the clock entering perpetual inventories, filling out questionnaires, reading through the piles of paperwork that come to our homes every week. Offer reviews and raises after a reasonable period of time.

Low stress job with a degree of satisfaction at the end of the day.

Merchandiser (Current Employee)
Madison, WI

I have been working at Levy Home Entertainment

ProsLevy Home Entertainment is a great company to work for. Just do your job and do it right and management leaves you to your task. Independent working environment, work your own hours. If you have a passion for reading and like to organize and display, the Levybooks division is a great choice for employment.

ConsYearly raise less than 25 cents per hour. The "Suppose to be scenarios" (layouts, planograms, etc.) usually don't materialize due to errors in product shipments or lack of products. Not for the perfectionist, frustrating. Some heavy lifting.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse of technology needs improvement. Ordering system is somewhat antiquated.

Great company that truly cares about it's employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Levy Home Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat senior management team that have visionary ideas in a difficult time in the print book industry.

ConsLevy was recently sold and is now called Readerlink. Not sure how the new owners will handle the ups and downs of such a turbulent industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your employees and technology. This company has a lot of dedicated employees that are willing to go the extra mile for the right management team.

Educational, National meetings were great!

District Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Levy Home Entertainment

ProsLove the running my own territiory like it was my own business

ConsNo connect between home office/upper managerment and field operations

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring college degrees...hire people with field experience..make this a requirement of all shirts in the office. Decisions and directions will be alot clearer.

Worked for Levy Home Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Levy Home Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Levy Home Entertainment CEO Carol Kloster. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Levy Home Entertainment employees.