Lewis Apartment Communities

Updated August 7, 2014

3.3

Richard A. Lewis, Robert E. Lewis
1 Rating

You RARELY come across a team like this!

I have been working at Lewis Apartment Communities

Pros

Upscale
    People are actually alive here
    Benefits and perks
    Pay and incentives
    Promoting internally
    Stability
    Friendly

Cons

Nothing that I could remember.

My experience during the interview was incredible. From the moment I stepped in for my interview I knew that this company holds a powerful reputation for its accomplishments. I was interviewed by David Draper (HR), Danny Chovinard, Sheila Tobin, and David Linden (VP). It was an absolute pleasure to share such an amazing time. In all of my previous jobs I have never felt like I was actually being heard and have never met a group of people that really cared about their position and those who will be joining their team. Everyone had a positive and upbeat vibe which helped me express my desires and goals. Im sure you have been through a few interviews where the Supervisor or HR has a stiff face and sounds like a robot, their eyes are fixed on you while they repeat your job duties and how wonderful their company is in one breath for the 100th time ( you know they dont mean a single word ) .... this is NOT one of them!

Always Felt Under-Valued and Overly Paranoid

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at Lewis Apartment Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

Superb 6-week training program - maybe even the best in the industry. Constantly looking for ways to advance and improve the company. Some of the best employees to work with. Promote from within culture. Good surface-y values.

Cons

Micro-managing from the top --even the training department at corporate tries to dictate everyone on the field. Outlandish expectations and goals for leasing staff --expectations are so high that nearly everyone lives in fear of losing their job on a day-to-day basis. Additional training IS available though, which is only cool if you are on the trainer's "good side". Very two-faced and clique-ish corporate culture (only the favorites/popular employees get promotions) --"Lewis Leaders" incentive program is a joke, since somehow only the same select few people get to go on the company trip every year (can you say "shady"?). Good employees get fired/written up for dumb/insignificant things --it happened to just about every single person I worked with and it's just out of hand. Scare tactics employed by managers and regionals --the words "write-up" and "termination" get thrown around on a regular basis. Watch out for HR Dept... they are only looking out for the company's best interest, NOT the employee's best interest. Low commission pay scale --when I left, they were talking about possibly raising their commissions because they are probably the lowest paid commissions in the area. Technology is very out of date software --but when I left, they were talking about upgrading.... hope so!

Bottom Line: Lewis is great for people who are brand new to the industry because the training is extensive and thorough, but once you're trained, start looking for a better company ASAP. The mediocre workers won't stand a chance for long and the truly good workers deserve better... Maybe give Sares-Regis Group or Western National Group a try...

The negative reviews on here are true. Take note and make some changes. I put in my 2-week notice over a year ago and have had no regrets since.

good job, no complaints. would have liked for the company to go public.. but thatll never happen.

I worked at Lewis Apartment Communities

Pros

stability in an unstable economy at the time

Cons

micromanagement, glass ceiling, out dated technology systems

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place to work, Reginal director is micromanager in Nothern California.

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Lewis Apartment Communities

Pros

Most of the employees at Lewis are great people and very enjoyable to work with. Most of the residents at there communities are good people as well. The job has decent pay and also not bad for somone looking to get by in the corporate world.

Cons

If you work for Lewis in Northern California you will be micromanaged to death from above. Beware also of the HR department, it only cares about the company not the employees. Many employees that were long term employees have left this company lately due to poor upper managment. The worst thing is upper managment has no clue why people are leaving and dont understand what is going on. If you have another choice in employement that is close to the same money take it. Almost any comparable type place will be more pleasant that Lewis.

Practice what you preach. You teach great priciples in managment but you do not allow your employees to use these skills in the field. Instead you use scare tactics to keep your minions afraid to speak up for fear of losing there job.

Solid, stable company with great teams

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Lewis Apartment Communities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall a great place to work. Lots of bright, professional employees with a management team very involved in training and feedback. I've worked here for years and find it the company to be a real leader in what they do. The company is very stable, a definite plus in this economy.

Cons

Company isn't doing as much new development as it used to, but that should change once the economy improves.

Solid mananement team in my opinion. Not many places have regional mgmt and upper management so visible and communicative.

Worked for Lewis Apartment Communities? Contribute to the Community!