Lewis Group of Companies

3.2

Richard & Robert Lewis

Good place to work.

I worked at Lewis Group of Companies

Pros

Flexible work environment. Employees are treated well

Cons

Pay is a bit low.

Consider increasing salaries to industry average.

You can be the best, but you'll need to kiss butt to get true recognition.

Former Employee - Community Director
    Former Employee - Community Director

I worked at Lewis Group of Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lewis offers a decent pay, they having an amazing training department, their is great structure at the corporate office.

Cons

You can run your property flawlessly, but unless you're kissing your regional or upper managements butts, you will not get the credit you deserve. And it's extremely disappointing. Additionally, if you have a family and work at the property level, never take time off for a sick child, it will follow you your entire career with Lewis. Majority of people in the accounting department lack social skill and common courtesy, which is beyond be.

Truly get to know all your managers, not just your golden ticket properties.

Lewis is run by people who severely lack communication skills. There is a general disdain for the common employee.

I worked at Lewis Group of Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-The pay is admittedly a high point. At the corporate office, an entry-level position pays higher than entry-level positions at some other companies, although pay is average when compared to other office jobs.

-The fact that work generally ends early the day before holidays is a nice touch.

Cons

-In Accounting, some of the people who have been given power are completely devoid of social skills and lack the ability to interact properly with their employees. They are frequently insulting, conniving, untrustworthy, unfair, and will plot to terminate others based on their personalities and not their work ethic. I believe that the most important part of being able to be a supervisor is being able to manage different personality types. If the way you manage personality types is by getting rid of those you do not get along with on a personal level, you are no doing your job correctly. While I was there, one supervisor was responsible for the termination of four different employees including myself. This cost the company somewhere in the realm of $200,000, yet this person was not reprimanded in any way.

-Human Resources does nothing to help, unless you are higher up at the company. I tried to get a meeting with HR for several months leading up to my seemingly imminent termination, and they did not even respond to my emails. I wrote out a thorough account of the injustices I experienced while working at Lewis Operating Corp. and was never given a response. Somehow I was still able to be terminated, which is alarmingly unfair.

-I was given no reason for my termination other than "it is not working out", and was given no documentation detailing any cause of termination the day I was let go. I believe everyone who is let go from a company should be given a reason why.

-When I was accused of being unproductive by my supervisor, I proved that this was a false claim by referring to the documentation of progress we were all required to partake in. *I simply displayed that I had completed more documents than any other employee in my position. The evidence was irrefutable, yet was dismissed as inaccurate without an explanation.

-The gossip level is extremely high. No one's personal information is safe. Other employees will find ways to get you into trouble with management for their own personal gain. I had personal journals on my desk that were examined without my permission. The contents of these journals was used in a write-up by my supervisor, who claimed I was writing about other employees, but also claimed that the writings were "vague" and "disturbing". They were not about any of my coworkers, and even if they had been, this complete violation of my privacy was completely wrong.

-Despite being the only one in my position to have a Bachelor's degree, I was never given any opportunity to further my career or better utilize my degree. My degree essentially had no value at Lewis, even though I possessed the same level of education as my immediate supervisor.

-This is not a good place to work for a young person. I was the youngest employee and I am in my 20s. Most people are 40 or over, so there is a bit of a generation gap.

There are many more flaws with Lewis, but I feel that this list is sufficient for now. Stay far away from this company if you expect to be valued as an employee or to be treated fairly.

My advice to management is really delve into the power structure you have in place. There are people in charge who are detrimental to the morale of their respective departments and are allowed to get away with very unprofessional behavior. Employees are not treated fairly. There is a sense of paranoia about being caught not working for even a second. Most employees feel powerless against the abusive power structure and choose not to make waves in the workplace to preserve their own employment status. I tried to speak up for myself and was terminated. If these are the kinds of people you want running your company, I suppose this written complaint will fall on blind eyes much like my many complaints made to your Human Resources department. I hope that you will take all of this into consideration. Thank you for your time.

I hope you like to suck up to your boss...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upland, CA

I worked at Lewis Group of Companies full-time

Pros

You get a $150/month employee discount on your rent if you live at one of their properties; 20% if you happen to work at the same property in which you live.

You will hopefully make real, long-lasting friendships with your co-workers.

Cons

They claim they're a promote from within company, but after working here I found that they would deny interested employees the chance to even apply for some open positions.

This is an at-will company so your job could end on any given day for any given reason(s). Just better hope your manager or supervisor likes you enough otherwise they'll gun for you.

A fellow co-worker asked one of the owners at the annual employee breakfast if they would consider giving corporate employees a gym discount or membership or even building an on-site gym at corporate for their employees' health and well-being. That particular owner's answer? "Would we consider it? No."

The pay is too low. The owners would rather be "competitive" with other companies' pay and benefits instead of setting the bar. Could be why there is such high turnover.

Require your managers and supervisors more training and possibly even a degree in a related field so they know how a real leader is supposed to act and treat their employees.

I am very satisfied and can not wait to see what opportunity comes next for me here.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Upland, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Upland, CA

I have been working at Lewis Group of Companies

Pros

Work life balance is great, very happy with co workers, open communication between employees and supervisors, team atmosphere and very flexible.

Cons

There is a high turnover of employees.

One of the best companies I have work for.

Current Employee - Business Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Lewis Group of Companies

Pros

I started with working for Lewis Apartment Communities October 2007 as a Leasing Consultant. I starting at a small property and shortly after was promoted to leasing consultant to one of Lewis’s largest properties, Homecoming. I worked at Homecoming for about 2 years under the supervision of some of the greatest roll models . On August 31st 2012, I left the company to pursue a career advancement as assistant community director for another property management company. I enjoyed working for that property management company, but I always knew that I wanted to return to my Lewis family one day. Lewis to me has been like a family, the staff is very friendly always there to listen to any suggestions that we have to improve the company or community. I was recently hired back to Lewis on January 31st 2012 as a Business Manager. I am so happy and excited to be working for Lewis again. It is truly a great company that encourages growth with in the company and a friendly environment.

Cons

If there is anything I would change about the company it would be their commission structure for leasing consultants. Other companies I have worked for offer a larger commission rate depending on the lease term. This encourages leasing consulates to offer longer lease terms rather then short lease terms.

Excellent Culture, Excellent Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upland, CA

I have been working at Lewis Group of Companies

Pros

The culture at Lewis is great. The management is cohesive and the business knowledge and leadership is great! I give a big thumbs up!

Cons

Lewis also needs to be careful not to micromanage too much and be sure to give enough free reigns in order to appropriately carry out performance.

Lewis is all around the best company I have worked for!

Current Employee - Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Lewis Group of Companies

Pros

I started with Lewis with a desire for an opportunity to grow and advance with a company, Lewis has provided that for me and much more. The quality of employees hired with Lewis is outstanding and the supervisors are always teaching and guiding their employees so we can better ourselves and our communities. I have been fortunate enough to work for with three amazing supervisors with Lewis. The supervisors have very different management styles and that has been a benefit for me to learn and grow as a manager myself. The overarching theme I have personally found working for Lewis is that the company and its supervisors care about their employees and want to make sure there their employees are happy.

I have found that Lewis rewards employees who are hard working, motivated, and are eager to learn. The company also acknowledges and recognizes employees throughout the year with "Credo" lunches and awards to those who go above and beyond the call of duty and through annual company award ceremonies.

Lewis listens to their employees by having new employee company breakfasts with the owners, a yearly update on what is happening within the company, and by utilizing a survey system after training to improve on the current processes. Lewis provides extensive training programs for all employees, buddy training (so you have someone to call when you have a question), and fantastic benefits (including amazing tickets to events that are going on the in the greater Los Angeles area). Some companies are making cuts to staff and their products, but Lewis is continually developing new positions and properties which is a good sign for continual job security.

Cons

For some it may be a downfall that the company is so structured and policy/procedure oriented, but for me I see it as a benefit that we know what is expected.

RUN!!!!!RUN FAST!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Upland, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Upland, CA

I worked at Lewis Group of Companies

Pros

I guess the very minimal camaraderie that can be found with very selected few employees.The internal training on appliance repair is very beneficial if that is still offered.

Cons

Improve on Senior management,Improve on Senior management,Improve on Senior management.

Very High employee turnover.

Expectations are unrealistic.

Way too many Chiefs & not enough Indians!!!!

Senior Management needs to embrace this old saying,.......

You can catch a lot more Flies with Honey than Vinegar.

Also,Stop Lying.

If you have a property manager the job is great, if not good luck!

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Upland, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Upland, CA

I worked at Lewis Group of Companies

Pros

The training is very straight forward, easy to learn. The procedures are outline clearly and other leasing consultants are very helpful. The residents also make for great customers and it is easy to build working relationships with the residents. Nice hours and partially commission paid. If you find a good property to work at and a good community director then this can be great.

Cons

There is a lot of "drama" with management, and this can make the change the working environment into a negative one. Some management delegate too much so you end up doing their job and yours. Getting time off when necessary is also very very hard.

Managers are meant to be leaders, if they don't do their job right, the whole team suffers.

Lewis Group of Companies Photos