Lewis PR Inc

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hands On Interview Experience

Intern (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc as an intern for less than a year

ProsAmazing location 2 steps from Montgomery BART in the Financial District of SF, hip office, young and friendly co-workers, fast-paced environment, interns trusted with hands-on and in-depth tasks, free beer on tap 24/7!

ConsLarge work loads, long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

fast paced agency setting, but with good people and balance

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc full-time for less than a year

Prosmost people working on the client teams are really great. A few people you don't want to spend more time than necessary with, but what office doesn't have that? Cool physical space and extra perks like beer, wine, bagels. Good communication about what's going on (on a basic level) each week. Early finishes encouraged on Friday and generally flexible with time off/

ConsSenior management say they are open to new ideas, but not always confident/comfortable enough to make change happen on a ig scale

Advice to Senior Managementtrust the people you've hired. Let them do the jobs you asked them to do.

Lives up the typical agency experience

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Proscool clients, great, easy going colleagues

ConsUpper management, lack of training/direction, reliable resources, high stress with little reward/recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement cares about one thing and that's new business. There is an overall lack of acknowledgment/care for account teams. For a large, "global" agency, LEWIS is seriously lacking in resources including training or mentorship. You either sink or swim here and if you swim you don't get far because management will use your ideas as their own to win new business and leave you in the dust. Aside from maybe having a few, cool clients, you'll be working late hours and most likely will be stressed out of your mind dealing with the drama behind the scenes at this agency. Be prepared to work on 5-6 accounts right off the bat with little direction or background.

Great people and opportunities

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsI really enjoy working at LEWIS. Yes, some tasks are boring or stressful, some clients are difficult or rude, and there's the occasional coworker you may not get along with. However, that's life, and it's true for pretty much any job. What makes me want to come in to work everyday is the overall great colleagues I work with, the office culture, and the potential to grow my career. There are weekly office meetings to give kudos as well as office and company-wide emails. If you work hard, you will be promoted. No, you will not be promoted just because you showed up and did the bare minimum. But you will be rewarded if you prove yourself. That's evident by the core management who have been with LEWIS from the beginning, and the high number of employees who are now managers but who started out as juniors. LEWIS also regularly has employee surveys, and does make an effort to address the issues brought up. (Not all, but many.) Everyone is really friendly, even the founder/CEO Chris Lewis. I have recommended LEWIS to several friends.

ConsThis is a PR agency, so you have the usual deadlines, overtime, difficult clients. There are some employees that are "dead weight," but I think management is addressing that better these days than it used to. I think most of the negative reviews come from recent college grads and LEWIS is their first real job. They don't have the experience of working for a really bad company, and I think they also believe that they should be rewarded for doing the bare minimum just because they have a college degree (read: spoiled/entitled.)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to employees, and actually take their opinions/advise into consideration. If something isn't working, don't keep doing the same process hoping for different results. There's always a way to improve!

Tremendous learning experience and great coworkers!

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsI have learned a TON working at LEWIS! The people here are great, and if you have a positive attitude and are willing to dive in, wear many hats and aren't afraid to step up and take on opportunities when they arise, you will be recognized and rewarded for your efforts. Also, the kitchen in the San Francisco office has BEER TAPS!!!

ConsOccasionally you will have to deal with a prickly client, but that is typical in any agency role. Also sometimes you may have to put in a few longer hours - but see above in regards to beer taps.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to mix up the teams - make some changes and reorganize. Some of the folks we have are often great people but in the wrong role.

The people at LEWIS make working there something special."

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsBesides great colleagues, LEWIS is known for its competitive benefits and salary packages. There are many opportunities to grow, but one has to work hard for them!

ConsCompany politics, long hours, high stress.

Lives up to its "sweat shop" reputation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lewis PR Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsSome cool clients.
Opportunity to learn quickly if you fall under the right manager.
Good digital offerings.

ConsIncredibly top heavy environment. Understaffed at lower levels. Opportunity seems to lessen as you progress. Promised opportunities, such as working abroad, are much more difficult to achieve than let on. Training and development is not as promised. Expectations are way too high. There is no work life balance and the stress level is very, very high. Management is very stingy and doesn't take into account the well-being of junior staff. Would definitely not recommend it to anyone SAE or under.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your junior staff because they are the ones who do the grunt work that keeps the company going. When they are unhappy, think of ways to make them happy rather than punishing them.

Every day I work with and learn from the smartest and most creative people in the business (colleagues and clients).

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc

ProsThe quality and diversity of clients.
An outstanding team that is always innovating.
Expertise in social / digital media.
The company has continued to grow through a tough economy.
As far as I can tell, the benefits are very competitive.
Working with clients internationally and working with other LEWIS offices around the world.
A relatively new VP that has brought more of sense of humor to the culture and new processes that help us do our jobs.

ConsThe current time sheet system is a pain.
The SF office is quickly running out of space and there's a shortage of conference rooms.

Came in as an 'arms and legs' PR exec and ended up a true strategic counselor

I have been working at Lewis PR Inc

ProsThere are two main reasons I work at LEWIS – the culture and the way they treat their people. Let’s be honest, there are lots of agencies to choose from in SF, and it can be hard to differentiate between all of them. Based on my experience, the atmosphere at LEWIS- the people, the management and the general ethos of the company- are very unique. It’s obvious LEWIS puts a huge emphasis on being a special place to work and offering a different-from-the norm experience for both employees and clients. ‘Fun’ isn’t forced- it’s truly part of the office spirit. I’ve heard of LEWIS referred to as ‘entrepreneurial’ and I would say that’s pretty accurate. The type of people that work best here are creative, ambitious, and – yes, I’m going to say it – even a little ballsy.

In terms of senior level support; the leadership team is really committed to helping staff find and develop their own paths in PR. Whether you’re into social media / digital PR, consumer tech or more traditional media relations, you’re able to pick your ‘track’ and really pursue your area of focus. This all comes from the top down.

ConsIn line with the ‘entrepreneurial’ spirit is most definitely a work ethic bearing some resemblance to that of a startup. We do work hard. But I would challenge you to find an agency that doesn’t occasionally have a late night or early morning pitching shift. If you’re looking for a place where you get out at 5pm on the dot every day, you shouldn’t just avoid LEWIS, you should probably avoid PR or agency life in general. Yes, PR can be demanding but it’s also one of the most exciting and interesting jobs in tech (imho).

Since I started at LEWIS I’ve never once had a day where I looked at the clock. And I’ve learned more here than I did in four years at my last agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course!

Excellent really enjoyed it. Strong culture, but might not suit 'big' company folks

ProsInternational approach
Lots of former journalists around so creative
Fast-paced
Changing all the time
Office secondments especially overseas

ConsAlways busy - very little time to really think

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time planning
Recognize that not everyone wants to fast track
Do more socials

Worked for Lewis PR Inc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lewis PR Inc reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lewis PR Inc CEO Chris Lewis. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Lewis PR Inc employees.