Lewis & Clark College

Updated December 8, 2014
3.5

Barry Glassner

A good place to work

I have been working at Lewis & Clark College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The campus is big so it's difficult to speak to an overall culture. Coworkers are generally friendly but departments can be cliquey. Salaries are below market but benefits (retirement) are generous. If you want free tuition for your kids, it's a great place to work. Promotions often come from within, but staff are offered little training.

Cons

HR is only there for compliance and does not exist to help employees. High level administration is a total good old boys club.

Offer more training for staff

Look twice

Current Employee - Faculty Member
    Current Employee - Faculty Member

I have been working at Lewis & Clark College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The students who are attracted to, and can pay for, Lewis and Clark can be a joy to work with. They connect with the general mission of environmental and social justice and want their future work to be as meaningful as possible. Many teaching colleagues are also well-trained and cooperative. The campus is beautiful and peaceful, but unfortunately isolated from Portland city life.

Cons

The attitude of the higher administration toward faculty, staff and students appears to range from benign neglect to outright complacency. Having worked at other universities with more proactive administrators, I get the sense that LC relies on its pretty campus and its Portland location to make up for low pay, ineffective HR interventions around work climate and personnel issues, inattention to student life problems, and a general lethargy in the campus culture. It could be an amazing, effective, and enjoyable place to work and learn, but that would take leaders with vision and courage.

Excellent - did not want to leave

I have been working at Lewis & Clark College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interacting with students was a wonderful experience and one that I will miss. The College was very student focused and friendly..

Cons

Driven by budget concerns and sometimes students and employees unnecessarily suffer. The faculty can be aloof on occasion and divorced from what is happening outside the institution.

None

Amazing learning and enrichment experience.

Former Employee - HHMI Community Educator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - HHMI Community Educator in Portland, OR

I worked at Lewis & Clark College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great balance between school and work hours. They realize that school your number one priority and don't ever get in your way when you have school Everyone here seems to truly enjoy their work and that gets reflected in your own work ethic. As a student worker, I had a blast with my team. The pay was fair, and sometimes I found myself working without a care for the money I was earning.

Cons

The payment system is awful. The time entry program can be confusing and frustrating, and barely works on even the most advanced computers at the school.

Fix your hour-logging software. It's a mess, and can be much better.

Every single day for the 3 years I was employed there I looked forward to going to work.

Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at Lewis & Clark College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful boss, supportive atmosphere, very nice campus, great students to work with. Work-life balance well supported. I absolutely loved my job!

Cons

I was very unhappy with upper campus's decision to outsource the two shuttle-driving positions to a company that pays its employees $6 less per hour and offers no benefits.

Cost-cutting measures are sometimes necessary, but in this case I feel this was a poor decision. From the feedback I have received from several students the new service is not meeting their needs as did the former service. A note about my rating of Senior Management: Law School management was excellent, but I am rating the top-level, overall management as poor.

Loved working here; did not want to leave!

Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at Lewis & Clark College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My job was wonderful and I was able to interact with many of the law students, which I loved. GREAT boss, lots of autonomy despite an exacting schedule. Always felt supported and appreciated.

Cons

Our two positions were eliminated and the service was outsourced to a company that pays its employees $6 less per hour and does not offer them benefits.

Cost-cutting is not always the best decision to make, and came from "higher up." You lost two very loyal employees who loved their jobs and were very good at what we did. I miss my old position a lot.

Executive Team is running this institution into the ground

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Lewis & Clark College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gorgeous campus, great benefits and time off.

Cons

The Board of Trustees need to evaluate how hiring the wrong president (Barry Glassner) has destroyed the culture and current staffing of the College. The vice president (Hal Abrams) is underqualified, two deans are moving to other institutions because of this leadership and the overall culture is like poison. They have recently lost some highly valuable staffmembers as well, and the ones left are trying to get out.

President Barry Glassner needs to consider himself a real person and get out of his closed office to talk and mingle among staff. Too many staffing changes in the wrong direction with open positions still unfilled are embarrassing to the institutuion.

Great college to work for

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Lewis & Clark College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lewis & Clark is a top-tier liberal arts college, and as such, the students you get to interact with are super smart, engaged, and fun to work with. The professors I worked with also deeply cared about their work (sometimes too much), so I felt like I was contributing to a bigger mission that just my own work. The work was largely self-directed, and I felt like I had a hand in steering the direction of the program I worked for. The collective bargaining unit for admin positions is really strong, and they routinely were able to offer across the board raises, and provided benefits even for part-time workers.

Cons

Since many professors work such long hours, and don't really see a clean break between work & life, sometimes the expectations for what I needed to get done were a little higher than what I could actually accomplish. In the admin role, too, there is pretty much no room for advancement -- you're an admin for a program, and that's that.

The upper administration seems overly concerned with pushing sports culture on a college that is decidedly non-sports focused. The money given to sports could have been better used in programs that actually belong at a liberal arts college.

long time employee

Former Employee - Staff
    Former Employee - Staff

I worked at Lewis & Clark College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, (but cut each year). Location is a very beautiful, natural setting.

Cons

Salary is under par. President Barry, Carl Vance and David Ellis have ruined the community of Lewis & Clark. What was once a welcoming community to work in, is now a stressful and low moral environment. Budget cuts have caused overloaded workloads for most departments. Long time Managers who are only there to do the minimum, allow harassment and other issues among students, faculty and staff to explode to illegal levels, which are then swept under the rug.

Reinforce policies, protect your employees instead of allowing abuse by overloaded workloads and non-existent managers.

It was alright

Former Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR

I worked at Lewis & Clark College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have good benefits and the environment is very relaxed.

Cons

The people are homogenous and there isn't much diversity in the work force and among the students.

Be willing to have more critical conversations around race, identity, and privilege to make your campus inclusive.